Curves and complex shapes are hard to do in a voxel based building system. Although they make building much more simple for most, for many it will limit the creativity possible. Would it be possible to import cad files? if the cad file was in an Stl form it would be easy enough to transform via slicer a complex object into voxels. This would allow for increased market value for ships and structures that can be dynamically built with more complex shapes. Everyone has axes to cad. personally I use Onshape, a free cad that can be run on any computer with chrome.  I think this could be very useful to builders.

Great idea

But what about details on the part that are too small for the game to render? I'm not entirely sure how in depth the voxel building in game goes as of now. But I'm certain there will be a base voxel size. With using CAD all the dimensions must conform to in game constraints. It seems like the voxel building system will have to be rebuilt from the ground up to accomodate such a change. However, we could just add simple fillet, indent, spline, bevel, hole, dimension tools etc. in game.