• needed
    • not needed
  2. 2. Sea veicals

• needed
    • not needed
  3. 3. Air veicals (no I cant spell)

• needed
    • not needed

So Land Air And sea what does NQ have plans for with that? ie tanks,planes,jets,ships, and helicopters will we be able to build them? how will they work? Also for players will we be able to use melee and primitive bows? Will it only be a fps systym and how will that work because currently it sound really dull and looks something like this 

as such this would be really op and require no skill.What about hover crafts? What about subs?how big can we make them? 

15 minutes ago, unown006 said:

as such this would be really op and require no skill.

Player skill - nope. Everyone is in even ground there. No CoD in space, thankfully

Character Skill - oh yes, a lot

@unown006 I've first read the post, then checked who posted. No surprise.

But I have quite confirmed answer for you:

ATM only planed vehicles are air-based. But some of them can only hover close to the ground, so they'll play more like ground vehicles.

ATM water is postponed to some far far future, and it's not certain what form it'll take. So no plans for ships (or subs) anytime soon

1 hour ago, Lethys said:

Player skill - nope. Everyone is in even ground there. No CoD in space, thankfully

Player skill - oh yes, a lot. Positioning, surprise, engaging targets at range that favour your loadout over your enemies, smart use of cover, cooperation with your allies, pre-combat preparation, construct engineering, ect.

No twitch aiming skill required though - built in aimbot does the work. But that's just small part of combat.

Character skill - hopefully not that much. I'd rather have most things decided by player skill and equipment.

19 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

Character skill - hopefully not that much. I'd rather have most things decided by player skill and equipment.

Oh they will greatly influence your hitchance, DMG and other stats. Best way to go imho for an equal base for everyone. 

All other points you described are tactics to me and don't really have anything to do with the player's ability to actually Hit a target ("Skill")

@Lethys "They will greatly influence..." Source? :P I think I've read something about "slightly increase".
And how is it best way for equal base for everyone, if only some players will have them? And you can't really get them by being good. That's why I'd much prefer combat to be mostly equipment+tactical skills.

They Go for a system like eve, so it'll be  a Bonus system of some sort, +25% dmg, -50% spread, +20% accuracy.

Cause ppl don't get any advantage because of age, Reflex or whatever. Plus ppl need to specialize and need to decide which way to go

I don't see why we can't just use hovercraft for land and sea but submarines would be dope af. As for planes, we have aerodynamic lifting confirmed (would post sauce but I'm in a rush). As for helicopters, you can just take 4 VTOL thrusters and pitch your ship for the same effect. The planes have VTOL like harrier jets anyway so helis are pretty obselete from a tactical point if view other than perhaps a scripted cost incentive.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:10 PM, Lethys said:

Player skill I would say there would be in a traditional fps but my point with a lock on system is there would be none Chariter skill tree was not what I meant

On 4/27/2018 at 2:32 PM, Veld said:

I don't see why we can't just use hovercraft for land and sea but submarines would be dope af. As for planes, we have aerodynamic lifting confirmed (would post sauce but I'm in a rush). As for helicopters, you can just take 4 VTOL thrusters and pitch your ship for the same effect. The planes have VTOL like harrier jets anyway so helis are pretty obselete from a tactical point if view other than perhaps a scripted cost incentive.

technically, a sub is just a sunken ship/hover that still moves :P 

3 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

technically, a sub is just a sunken ship/hover that still moves :P

Technically a sub is entirely different pieces of kit that uses ballast tanks and nuclear reactors.

But yea I guess we could just submerge a liquid fuel booster or a mag lev booster (that works off the earth's magnetic field and has virtually 0 lifting capability other than to, as the name implies, hover) and expect them to work having their propellant unable to ignite and their systems being electrocuted to ash.

Sarcasm aside. All we need is a depth control module (ballast tank) and an outboard motor. That way ships and subs are possible. Without looking dumb. We don't want dodgy ksp jet subs.

You got the idea, indeed in DU we need to let go our definition of things, think above what we see. A sub is nothing more than a space ship under water and a car or hover have the same idea, land transport. So its not the name but the idea that counts and only border is the lack of creativity or rules of NQ.

2 hours ago, Aaron Cain said:

You got the idea, indeed in DU we need to let go our definition of things, think above what we see. A sub is nothing more than a space ship under water and a car or hover have the same idea, land transport. So its not the name but the idea that counts and only border is the lack of creativity or rules of NQ.

Cars and hovercraft; tomato tomato. Different things for the same effect and not entirely necessary to have as two distinct methods of transport.

If NQ let us fly rockets underwater then yes, a sub is an underwater spaceship. But I sincerely doubt that. It would look totally stupid and is just plain lazy from a design point of view. However, I believe NQ has said they will add anti-gravity propulsion which would validate underwater spaceships from a design perspective. Imagine that. Flying space submarines.

Subs aren't essential to the game. Hell ships aren't even when you can just fly. But if they add seafaring vehicles or allow hovercraft on water then their implementation would make a big impact. I have heard that NQ do not intend the ocean to be a medium of travel though. But this is 3rd hand info.

yeah read that too, but for a creative and for the beauti of it point of view it would be nice to be able to build vehicles for up or under water. Eventhough there is no reall need unless we can build fully functional underwaterbases and oxigen is added as a need for using a helmet. Following this with great interest

5 hours ago, unown006 said:

How about massive warships and aircraft carriers?

Same as any other ship but bigger. The Devs have made a flying aircraft carrier. To be honest. Naval combat only really exists in the real world because you can only make planes so tough. Thinking about it that way, I don't think it will be added.

Edited by Veld
Ship not shit damn you autocorrect

1 hour ago, Veld said:

Same as any other ship but bigger. The Devs have made a flying aircraft carrier. To be honest. Naval combat only really exists in the real world because you can only make planes so tough. Thinking about it that way, I don't think it will be added.

Hmm alright seems a shame but I guess DU makes up for it with space combat and flying aircraft carriers 

This thing strikes me as a classic case of "but I want to drive around / wear my captain's hat" versus technology paths in game. 

Considering the baseline tech available within DU any kind of planetary transportation is by default more efficient by air unless there is a treshold in regards to volume, and even that is theoretical. 

Why build a road when you can land anywhere. Why build a railroad when you can land anywhere. Why build a port when you can land anywhere. At each location of hub logistics there's an advantage in combining said hub with air/space based capabilities. One might argue that moving stupid amounts of resources would require a mechanism capable of moving such large volumes, traditionally the domain of sea / rail networks. Still nothing that can't just as easily go by air though. 

I'd say that land/sea elements are not needed. But people may want them and thus should be able to build them. 

I'd also say that efficiency arguments lean towards air elements. But people may want to rely on afk mechanisms we currently know nothing about so those might provide for land/sea options. 

On 5/5/2018 at 6:15 AM, virtuozzo said:

This thing strikes me as a classic case of "but I want to drive around / wear my captain's hat" versus technology paths in game. 

Considering the baseline tech available within DU any kind of planetary transportation is by default more efficient by air unless there is a treshold in regards to volume, and even that is theoretical. 

Why build a road when you can land anywhere. Why build a railroad when you can land anywhere. Why build a port when you can land anywhere. At each location of hub logistics there's an advantage in combining said hub with air/space based capabilities. One might argue that moving stupid amounts of resources would require a mechanism capable of moving such large volumes, traditionally the domain of sea / rail networks. Still nothing that can't just as easily go by air though. 

I'd say that land/sea elements are not needed. But people may want them and thus should be able to build them. 

I'd also say that efficiency arguments lean towards air elements. But people may want to rely on afk mechanisms we currently know nothing about so those might provide for land/sea options. 

A main reason I bring this up is because on release space is going to be a hard thing to get so what will you do for six or so months you are on the ground?

15 minutes ago, unown006 said:

A main reason I bring this up is because on release space is going to be a hard thing to get so what will you do for six or so months you are on the ground?

Im going to be in my hover vehicle for a start,..... ;) which Im thinking will only take me a few days to be able to resource up and build ;)

Then a hover vehicle is just an added couple atmospheric engines to get airspeed up..... so thats by around day 7, then about a week or so after that I will whack a rocket engine on the thing and then go exploring "out there" ;)

Naturally my friends will help in all of the above endeavors ;)

I will be crying if I am still on the ground six months into the game! :o

13 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

Im going to be in my hover vehicle for a start,..... ;) which Im thinking will only take me a few days to be able to resource up and build ;)

Then a hover vehicle is just an added couple atmospheric engines to get airspeed up..... so thats by around day 7, then about a week or so after that I will whack a rocket engine on the thing and then go exploring "out there" ;)

Naturally my friends will help in all of the above endeavors ;)

I will be crying if I am still on the ground six months into the game! :o

Still I am going with the worst case scenario as NQ said space would be hard to reach

• 2 weeks later...
On 12-5-2018 at 4:18 AM, unown006 said:

For one, I'm hardly going to be alone :) Teamwork takes care of a lot of things. On top of that, I sincerely doubt it'll be 6 months on the ground. I will be very surprised if we spend more than 6 days there, then having one day of rest and taking off the morning after that. 

Serious though, in a sandbox a huge part of getting things done comes down to economies of scale and optimisation. Even if getting up in the air might take a bit longer, there's both a development and an efficiency curve to it, offsetting ground / water based infrastructural requirements or mobility alternatives. Especially as for a lot of us the point will be to get up in orbit and take it from there. 

Keep in mind that a lot of experimentation can already be done in alpha and beta stages. The learning curves aren't that big a part of challenges. 

• 7 months later...
On 5/21/2018 at 1:29 PM, virtuozzo said:

For one, I'm hardly going to be alone :) Teamwork takes care of a lot of things. On top of that, I sincerely doubt it'll be 6 months on the ground. I will be very surprised if we spend more than 6 days there, then having one day of rest and taking off the morning after that. 

Serious though, in a sandbox a huge part of getting things done comes down to economies of scale and optimisation. Even if getting up in the air might take a bit longer, there's both a development and an efficiency curve to it, offsetting ground / water based infrastructural requirements or mobility alternatives. Especially as for a lot of us the point will be to get up in orbit and take it from there. 

Keep in mind that a lot of experimentation can already be done in alpha and beta stages. The learning curves aren't that big a part of challenges. 

Sorry This was before we had a survival mode in DU (Pre Alpha) so yea I can see people moving out very quickly now that we are in alpha 1 however I still think even when you move out if you go somewhere else these vehicles will still come in play.