Wonders of the Galaxy?

Korvid Rin

Awesome ridiculous buildings/designs that could be considered "wonders". Possible protection for truly epic projects that aren't for storage/warfare/anything that has tactical capabilities? There are provisions in the current Earth articles of war for cultural/religious/etc. structures being exempt from attack. I know,  LOTS of exceptions. Discuss. 

But I mean long term.  On the level of ruins or relics.  No real use other than being pretty/awesome to look at. Maybe not a game play mechanic, but a galactic understanding of non-agression toward innocuous structures that serve no tactical purpose.  Maybe I'm not explaining well enough. You wouldn't bomb the Pyramids at Giza, or the Great Wall of China... Those kind of structures should have an approval process to gain protected status.  Things that aren't actively involved in anything other than sitting there looking pretty.  We have ALOT of space,  literally.  There's more than enough room for a re-creation or reimagining of ruins/structures that serve no purpose other than being awesome for people to look at. 

37 minutes ago, Korvid Rin said:

But I mean long term.  On the level of ruins or relics.  No real use other than being pretty/awesome to look at. Maybe not a game play mechanic, but a galactic understanding of non-agression toward innocuous structures that serve no tactical purpose.  Maybe I'm not explaining well enough. You wouldn't bomb the Pyramids at Giza, or the Great Wall of China... Those kind of structures should have an approval process to gain protected status.  Things that aren't actively involved in anything other than sitting there looking pretty.  We have ALOT of space,  literally.  There's more than enough room for a re-creation or reimagining of ruins/structures that serve no purpose other than being awesome for people to look at. 

That's not bombed because of human ethics - and even that is ignored sometimes (see palmyra)

34 minutes ago, Korvid Rin said:

Imagine the strategic planning involved in avoiding destroying cultural landmarks and stuff.  That brings way more strategy into planetary warfare. 

it doesn't involve ANY planning when some "monument" just can't be destroyed via some magic field. You don't always get to choose where you fight, so using that thing as a shield may be possible at some point, but won't usually be the case.

If you have enough resources then sure - build that monument anywhere you want. Such structures might exist anywhere too, abandoned buildings from players who left or who ventured to another planet. Either explore it and take what you need (scrap mechanics perhaps?) or just explore it and leave it as is.

But introducing an artificial system just to protect "cool looking" buildings is not the way to go imho

2 hours ago, Korvid Rin said:

You wouldn't bomb the Pyramids at Giza, or the Great Wall of China... Those kind of structures should have an approval process to gain protected status.

You might not, but your moral code or sense of aesthetics is not universally shared, unfortunately.

In 2001, the Taliban blew up the "Buddhas of Bamiyan", which were giant statues built in the 5th and 6th century.

ISIS destroyed large parts of the ancient city of Palmyra, a valuable archaeological site.

The list goes on...

It seems that griefers are not only found in MMO's ! ;)

It's best not to use RL references to motivate game design on the basis of "people wouldn't do this in RL". Sooner or later, humans will do anything they are capable of doing...

2 hours ago, Korvid Rin said:

. Maybe not a game play mechanic, but a galactic understanding of non-agression toward innocuous structures that serve no tactical purpose.  Maybe I'm not explaining well enough

Never said anything about "magic fields" was postulating a possible player created non-agression understanding?  Treaty?  Yeah, I'm not explaining my thoughts very well... 

29 minutes ago, Korvid Rin said:

You make a very good point @NanoDot. By and large people will do shit that serves no purpose but to hurt others.  And yes,  I was putting my personal morals into my statement.  I apologize. 

There's no need to apologise.

But, if you're going to apologise, then I should apologise for my "griefers are everywhere" joke.

The incidents I listed were not examples of "senseless destruction". Both those groups were acting on their own moral codes, and what they did was completely justified in their world view. Probably a very different world view from yours or mine, but perfectly valid and logical in its own context. They didn't do it for the lulz.

But when cultures are so dramatically different, something has to give, else violence is the inevitable outcome. One or the other has to be destroyed or forcibly modified, they cannot co-exist in the same world without constantly crashing into each other.

Much like the "PVE vs PVP" camps in MMO's... ;)

It's true that the taliban were acting by their moral code and saw it as right. But it's not always a case of morality and perception:

The soldiers of the  british expeditionary forces, to be specific trigger happy goons, shot the nose off the sphinx. Just for fun.

Destroying shit is as fun as building it. That's why griefers exist.

Back to the original topic of OP, I expect we will see a lot of monolithic space dongs for sure. But I don't expect there to be rules in place for the protection of such constructs simply because of purely subjective sentimental value. Personally I think it would be cool to just let people destroy it. You would have to post guards about your sacred monoliths and post bounties for any heretics that dared deface them. Sounds like fun to me.

On 4/25/2018 at 2:23 AM, Korvid Rin said:

I don't know why I didn't think of that.  I need another beer. 

Good idea.

---

I think we should make an entire moon dedicated to building under protection of a neutral organization.

Imagine it, Hanging Gardens, a Leaning Tower of Pisa, Colossus, Temple of Artemis, the White House.

Beautiful.

Maybe someone could a full muesem in the game for free for people to explore history and actually learn a lot of stuff.

I imagine it now: people paying teachers to teach them history.

Battle of Waterloo? Cold War? Chernobyl? Maybe some trenches? Maybe even some WWI/II re-enactments?

The possibilities are very vast.

12 hours ago, Kuritho said:

I think we should make an entire moon dedicated to building under protection of a neutral organization.

Imagine it, Hanging Gardens, a Leaning Tower of Pisa, Colossus, Temple of Artemis, the White House.

Beautiful.

Maybe someone could a full muesem in the game for free for people to explore history and actually learn a lot of stuff.

I imagine it now: people paying teachers to teach them history.

Battle of Waterloo? Cold War? Chernobyl? Maybe some trenches? Maybe even some WWI/II re-enactments?

The possibilities are very vast.

Sounds pretty neat. Hopefully someone will get some bright ideas other than mining and fighting like this.

@Korvid Rin you know you can edit your posts instead of posting sentence after sentence. It's at the bottom next to quote

2 hours ago, Veld said:

Sounds pretty neat. Hopefully someone will get some bright ideas other than mining and fighting like this.

@Korvid Rin you know you can edit your posts instead of posting sentence after sentence. It's at the bottom next to quote

*shameless advertising ahead*

Well, Synism Precept can do that too!

Synism Precept plans on having a variety of stuff to do, including building and teaching!

5 hours ago, Kuritho said:

*shameless advertising ahead*

Well, Synism Precept can do that too!

Synism Precept plans on having a variety of stuff to do, including building and teaching!

Do you also have a sandwich bar, a gym and bean bag chairs?

36 minutes ago, Veld said:

Do you also have a sandwich bar, a gym and bean bag chairs?

That's included in our 100,000$ membership where we build an entire gym for you, with sandwiches, bean bag chairs, and dumbbells.

Any of these buildings will be hidden and protected by either a safe zone or a very large orgs defences. As for Wonders anything can be a wonder to the right person from a triangular prism quantum fold containment unit to dirt castle.