Parachutes

yamamushi

I'm surprised I've only seen the word "parachute" mentioned in two other threads, but since it hasn't been brought up before as its own specific feature request...

It would be really nice to have some sort of parachute item that we could use either when bailing out of a ship at high altitudes or perhaps something we'd use when skydiving into a territory during a covert ops mission or something. 

Preferably it would be something that we'd have control over ourselves, and not something that auto-deployed (because a parachute would be pretty visible, and you might want to deploy as close to the ground as possible to avoid being seen). 

Another possibility would be a wingsuit of some sort... 

Uhmmmm,  jetpacks for control of decent/short vertical movement when planet side? An additional spacesuit upgrade package for spacewalking? Just a thought. Future tech and all,  a parachute seems really kind of ancient psuedo-tech for where DU says we are in a technology sense. We are beyond parachutes,  we have anti-gravity thrusters.  But I would like to make orbital base jumping a thing,  seems like an awesome thrill, ( think of the VR possibilities. The wingsuit idea also opens up a lot of cool possibilities .) But I think a jet pack system is probably the easiest/most in line with the tech level of the game world. 

Jetpacks can't be used like this, they only provide short bursts of thrust and aren't meant as something to allow you to drop slowly onto a planet. 

It makes more sense to have something to allow for a controlled fall at a steady rate than it does to have jetpacks being used to fly all over the sky. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, Haunty said:

Wingsuit would be awesome

Even in future fiction I've seen Parachutes used to control the decent of fast movers.

Unless our characters are super soldiers with suits capable of mitigating the damage (pulling from Halo Spartans and ODST Drop pods here) Parachutes may be fairly old tech -

but it aint broke, so why fix it?

As someone who will be utilizing a VR headset at times for my DU experience, I find the idea of descending onto a planet or base jumping an experience!

I don't really see the idea fitting in with NQ's plan though - May not be the experience they're hoping to deliver! But the Hope is real!

I have to agree with you Haunty - A wingsuit decent Would be totally Dec.

On 4/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, Korvid Rin said:

Uhmmmm,  jetpacks for control of decent/short vertical movement when planet side? An additional spacesuit upgrade package for spacewalking? Just a thought. Future tech and all,  a parachute seems really kind of ancient psuedo-tech for where DU says we are in a technology sense. We are beyond parachutes,  we have anti-gravity thrusters.  But I would like to make orbital base jumping a thing,  seems like an awesome thrill, ( think of the VR possibilities. The wingsuit idea also opens up a lot of cool possibilities .) But I think a jet pack system is probably the easiest/most in line with the tech level of the game world. 

jetpacks cost precois fuel or at least energy which could be a big problem plus they are limited (as of today's tec you have leeway for the future)

On 4/25/2018 at 7:52 AM, Haunty said:

Wingsuit would be awesome

Yes