Mobile Bases?

Anopheles

I'd like to see bases that can either be on asteroids or 'that's not a moon' sized ships that can move around space.   Of course, that wouldn't come cheap but would provide a loop of logic for piracy or crime:

1: We have to move to avoid the law

2: We have to get resources to pay for fuel quickly to avoid the law. 

3: The quickest way to get resources quickly is pro active salvaging and Redistribution of Wealth with Menaces.

4: This attracts the law.

5: We have to move to avoid the law. 

Honest spacers could use smaller bases that move too, try to pass as flotsam between planets. 

In my mind I'm imagining hermit crabs that need to abandon their shells for a bigger one occasionally. 

just like Titans in ark I would love to see mobile bases. You could use a small space station that warps with ftl to a new location every 24h or somthing like that or build on a astroid and attach thrusters to it and constantly move at sublight speeds

Make large dynamic construct and use it as a base. Devs have already talked how there shouldn't be any strict/technical limit to how large one you can build if you get the people and resources. 

I'm sure there will be groups who would prefer not being tied down to fixed locations, pirates or players with other shady dealings, military forces that want more flexibility, mining orgs that want to move their operation quickly when a mine is exhausted or  when price of something they aren't mining goes up in the market. Also helpful if those pirates get too powerful in one area.

Should this be in builders' corner rather than idea box?

• 3 months later...
On 24/04/2018 at 5:06 AM, CoreVamore said:

Just make a big 'ship' and cover it in dirt. This will be doable by the release of the game.

It could also be used as camouflage in some cases.

Hmm.. maybe it should be possible to place a dynamic core on a asteroid and make it moveable? Not sure if that would be possible, but there is a difference of diging out some caves and putting some drives to it, than creating a asteroid around a ship.

However - maybe a thing for later on - and the workaround outlined will be good enough in the beginning.

The question is not wether you will be able to build big things, the question is if it would be worth it and how easy it is to just blow up in a few min.

Is it worth dozens of people building and maintaining a huge floating station "for the heck of it" only to see it blown up by a handful of people with resourceful and effective ships?

In the end of the day the game mechanics dictate the meta, not only your creativeness.

12 hours ago, SerErris said:

Hmm.. maybe it should be possible to place a dynamic core on a asteroid and make it moveable? Not sure if that would be possible, but there is a difference of diging out some caves and putting some drives to it, than creating a asteroid around a ship.

However - maybe a thing for later on - and the workaround outlined will be good enough in the beginning.

Asteroids/planets/moons are not movable, which is why you must make an artificial one to achieve the same result you are looking for.

I understand that it is this at the moment. That is why we bring up the discussion - maybe in a later stage that might be different for Asteroids ... Moons ... not sure - planets shall be not moveable.

I mean small asteroids should be movable imo. Even NASA was planning to do that (until their budget for the program got cut because Congress but lets not get into politics). I'm talking about sub-100 meter asteroids though we could go bigger using things like mass drivers (irl).