Canadian

maxxuser

The official response

Gary Campbell (Novaquark)

Apr 24, 18:41 EEST

Hi Matthewmcguirej,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The prices are displayed in € for all users, except the ones from the United-States, who see the prices in $. Sorry for the confusion ;)

Best regards,
Gary
Novaquark

Frankly, any game that is going to charge Canadians significantly more than Americans for the same DIGITAL product, are really screwing over canadians.

@maxxuser

Ignoring unneeded and uncalled for language, you do realize this is a European company right?

As a Canadian you would be paying in Euros converted to CDN$, how that affects your eventual cost would largely depend on how much your bank or CC company charges you. If they ask for considerable fees you might want to direct your question at them.

If you're buying a €180 pack, you'd end up paying between 282 and 295 Canadian on Visa or Mastercard depending on conversion fees. If you're charged  a lot more your bank or CC provider is charging you more than average on fees..

When he game releases it could be NQ will have more localized payement option, who knows. But expecting the world in htis regard during (very) early access is at best presumptuous IMO.

@maxxuser Using profanity is against the forum rules.  I understand you are frustrated, but game developers have to make decisions about what areas they want to specifically handle.  This means a company that is in France might decide to handle most places in their common format, and then handle specific other places in ways that work for them.  In this case the only place they seem to have specifically handled was the US.  Constructive debate and discussion of whether that is a good practice, or other areas should be handled is much more effective at getting something changed than just rage-leaving.

24 minutes ago, maxxuser said:

The official response

Gary Campbell (Novaquark)

Apr 24, 18:41 EEST

Hi Matthewmcguirej,

Thanks for reaching out to us.

The prices are displayed in € for all users, except the ones from the United-States, who see the prices in $. Sorry for the confusion ;)

Best regards,
Gary
Novaquark

Frankly, any game that is going to charge Canadians significantly more than Americans for the same DIGITAL product, can go fuck themselves.

That's something you need to take up with them, not shame on here.  There's nothing we can do, and throwing a tantrum isn't going to help your case.

Excuse the swearing, but I have tried to contact them, and get that response back. 

4 minutes ago, Hades said:

not shame on here.

This is literally the only effective way to bring attention to this, as I have already taken it up with them.

13 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

@maxxuser

If you're buying a €180 pack, you'd end up paying between 282 and 295 Canadian on Visa or Mastercard depending on conversion fees. If you're charged  a lot more your bank or CC provider is charging you more than average on fees..

I would be paying 282.43$ CAD, where as americans are paying 230 USD. It is not my credit card company, it is not the exchange rate, it is simply charging Canadians EURO instead of USD.

50$ is ALOT to charge someone extra for just being 1 hour north of the border of the united states.

8 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

At 1.1% rate US$230 transaction on CAD CC would some out at around CAD299 so you'd be worse of buying in US$ actually.

The argument you live close to the border would really not have any relevance.

@maxxuser Blaze is right here.  It is actually cheaper for you than it would be for someone in the US based on exchange rates.

282.43 CAD = 220.23 USD ; 230 USD = 295.03 CAD

On 4/23/2018 at 12:09 PM, Mod-Merwyn said:
14 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

At 1.1% rate US$230 transaction on CAD CC would some out at around CAD299 so you'd be worse of buying in US$ actually.

The argument you live close to the border would really not have any relevance.

Talk about missing the point..

Can I get one giant *WOOOOOSH* over this dudes head.

If i lived cross the border (or just cross digitally) The cost goes from 180 EURO, to 180 USD, which is cheaper. So stupid, how are you not seeing this, much less defending this practice?

It does seem a little wonky though, are Europeans really paying 180 euros?  Normally institutions price in relation to currency.  So $180 worth in USD, carries the same weight as $180 worth in Euros/Pounds/Etc.

To me, that means it should cost 150 euros for the patron pack.

Alternatively, US members should be paying $220

@maxxuser

You wrote earlier US price is/was 230$

IF US price is $180 then you have a point, but not the one you are making as NQ is shooting themselves in the foot by. Again, your geographical location compared to the US is irrelevant in this.

On second though the US price would be exclusive of salestax while the EU price would include 20%VAT. As I recall the payment goes through Xsola and they generally would do proper conversion as far as taxes go depending on where the license is sold to. 

39 minutes ago, maxxuser said:

I would be paying 282.43$ CAD, where as americans are paying 230 USD. It is not my credit card company, it is not the exchange rate, it is simply charging Canadians EURO instead of USD.

50$ is ALOT to charge someone extra for just being 1 hour north of the border of the united states.

EDIT:  I raised this with both support and the community manager, let's see what comes back as it seems it may be something they need to/should look into.

How it is:
Patron = $180USD and €180Euro
Euro to CAD €180 = $280CAD

For reference:
USD to CAD $180USD = $230CAD

What the OP wants:
Patron = $180USD and €147Euro (to make both currencies equivalent)
Euro to CAD €147 = $230CAD

Edit: Note, I'm not saying this is how it should be, because I don't know everything that goes into this, I'm simply clarifying what the OP is suggesting.

11 minutes ago, LittleJoe said:

How it is:

For reference:

What the OP wants:

Yep, seems like there's a problem to me.  The pack should not cost 180 euros.  Or it should not cost 180 USD.  They should have been weighted.  Companies can rarely get the exchange rate 100% accurate, but it can be "close enough".  My $400 pack was not the same price for someone in euros on the Kickstarter.

Kind of hard to fix it now, but who knows... we'll have to see what NQ thinks.

Calm down guys.

Shouting and insulting is only going to get the thread locked and people punished.

@maxxuser, keep in mind that you are currently backing a game. Having lots of different currencies to trade is not going to help NQ develop the game.

They will probably update sales closer to the release, once the try to actually sell the game.

From experience, I can tell that pushing the subject publicly and pushing NQ's hand is not a good idea. You will just make them angry too.

For the others, even if you have good reasons to get angry, it's always better to stay correct and helpful. We don't need league of legends community.

I'm gonna ask for a CM to clarify the subject.

~ Merwyn

You need to deduct 20% VAT from the EUR price first though as sales tax is included in that.

My question is how did OP actually get to the CAD285 he needs to pay? If Xsolla gave him that price on checkout then there may be an issue there with EU VAT being charged which may be incorrect or not  (I could be wrong.. not an expert on this)

If this is actually correct then yes, the US will have separate pricing where the EU VAT amount is taken out. That may (later) also apply to other countries, would be up to NQ to arrange obviously.

EDIT: Did some Googleing on this and while I'd take your average google 'expert' opinion with a grain of salt, it appears VAT would be charged when buying from an EU country outside the EU. You woudl then need to claim the VAT back yourself. This may be more complicated then it seems.. 

12 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

You need to deduct 20% VAT from the EUR price first though as sales tax is included in that.

My question is how did OP actually get to the CAD285 he needs to pay? If Xsolla gave him that price on checkout then there may be an issue there with EU VAT being charged which afaik should not happen afaik (but I could be wrong.. not an expert on this)

If this is actually correct then yes, the US will have separate pricing where the EU VAT amount is taken out. That may (later) also apply to other countries, would be up to NQ to arrange obviously.

If you include the 20% VAT both $180USD and €180 are almost exactly the same:

Patron = $180USD and €144Euro (minus 20% VAT)

Euro to CAD €144 = $226CAD

Edit: If this is simply a geographical difference you can probably just use a VPN to a US IP and pay USD

2 hours ago, LittleJoe said:

How it is:

For reference:

What the OP wants:

Edit: Note, I'm not saying this is how it should be, because I don't know everything that goes into this, I'm simply clarifying what the OP is suggesting.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, blazemonger said:

OP raises a valid point if he actually gets the amount he is mentioning at checkout. Although the way he does it really is not constructive nor appropriate IMO.

Sorry, just frustrated from hitting a bunch of walls, tried to ask in the discord, reddit, submitted a ticket.

To be frank, it is super easy for me to get the american price, just use a VPN to appear as american, however, I should not have to do this to save 50$ CAD.

3 minutes ago, maxxuser said:

Sorry, just frustrated from hitting a bunch of walls, tried to ask in the discord, reddit, submitted a ticket.

To be frank, it is super easy for me to get the american price, just use a VPN to appear as american, however, I should not have to do this to save 50$ CAD.

So your point is US get's the packages for less expensive than anywhere else, and you don't think it should be that way.

You may be right, but NQ can set prices however they want.  However, we can assume they didn't set this up without reason.  It could be because of the VAT as brought up before, or some other reason.  They don't have to explain the reasons, but it would probably help some people's frustrations.

9 minutes ago, Felonu said:

So your point is US get's the packages for less expensive than anywhere else, and you don't think it should be that way.

You may be right, but NQ can set prices however they want.  However, we can assume they didn't set this up without reason.  It could be because of the VAT as brought up before, or some other reason.  They don't have to explain the reasons, but it would probably help some people's frustrations.

Forget anywhere else, as much of an ignorant thing that might be.

The Canadian and american markets are in a free trade zone. Aka, I can order things from across the border and not pay a tariff, yet within our free trade zone (NAFTA North american free trade agreement) I am paying a 50$ price difference, due to being required to pay EUROPEAN prices.

This is the type of thing market watchdogs are not a big fan of within our free trade zone.