Large organizations & Territory Control

vylqun

I'd like to discuss another aspect of the topic, talked about in this now locked topic:

The point i took from this topic (ignoring all this large orgs vs. newbs stuff) is that some large orgs can and will try to get the territory surrounding an arkship. While that might sound bad for new players if you think about it superficially, its the contrary in my opinion.

Getting enough territories on a planet to dominate will take an extremely large effort, its not something that should be punished or disregarded, it should be praised and come with some benefits. The solution for that conflict between rewarding the org and not restricting the new players is actually quite simple, if an org really dominates a large area around the arkship, they should be able to gain ownership of that arkship, which means they'd get a large base with advanced fabrication units (maybe some of the best ingame) and a large amount of still stored, unused resources in the arkship, there should be enough benefits that orgs definitely try to claim it. After an organization claims ownership of an Arkship no new players will be able to spawn there.

After that point, any new player will spawn at a new arkship on a planet that wasn't discovered yet (remember, there were several arkships launched from earth) and the cycle starts anew. Of course that system can be reached with the normal ftl method from any other system, thus after some time it will be connected to the populated space by stargates or whatever.

What do we gain from this? Organizations have a goal in mind, if they can claim an arkship it'd give them large benefits and prestige. New players on the other hand can start on a new, not yet mined out planet with open claims and close planets / solar systems where they can enjoy the feeling of a fresh start without being on a different server.

For DU itself that mechanic would be an (more or less) automatic regeneration of the enviroment for new players, thus removing the worry that latecomers have nothing to do or are forced into organizations.

-1, bad idea

You split the playerbase with that (maybe even early on) - not a good idea imho. Especially when NQ always said that they want to enforce player interaction (that's why different systems like skilltime, engines, velocity are in place to ensure that player's stay together for a long time).

Plus what to with the fixed RN in the arkzone for EVERY PLAYER ? Overtake ark -> noone can spawn there. GG, when you die you respawn at the new ark - possibly hours and hours away from your homebase on a sanctuary moon of alioth - thanks game.....

Arkships and safezone should NEVER be in the hands of players - and I think that NQ said that somewhere too.

early on? jc estimated that it might take 1 month or longer just to leave alioth, i'd expect that scenario to happen after more than a year for the first time.

i can accept the reasoning with the respawn tho.

2 minutes ago, vylqun said:

early on? jc estimated that it might take 1 month or longer just to leave alioth

never underestimate dedicated players.

they said "we will possibly never see more than a few titans" in eve......

they said "we have this cool environment where carnivors attack players" in UO - players extincted them....

I wouldn't be surprised if ppl take off from work for release day and play 24/7 for days (or take shifts) just to be the first to reach space. Same will and can be done here

27 minutes ago, Lethys said:

never underestimate dedicated players.

they said "we will possibly never see more than a few titans" in eve......

they said "we have this cool environment where carnivors attack players" in UO - players extincted them....

I wouldn't be surprised if ppl take off from work for release day and play 24/7 for days (or take shifts) just to be the first to reach space. Same will and can be done here

Random people can do surprising things when you give them the means. I've heard people from NQ saying that the deathstar is technically possible (except planet killing weapon), but unlikely to happen because of effort it would take. I disagree, if DU becomes successful and long lasting and Disney doesn't kill Star Wars, there are actual changes for that to happen. I would also take concerns of planets including Alioth being strip mined to large extent seriously. 

btw. How many titans has Eve had? 

38 minutes ago, Lethys said:

going to space first isn't that rushworthy tho, far more important is it to get to a different solar system first, ebcause everyone knows where those planets are and will go there, but for solar systems they probably need the coordinates.

-1 Sounds like a bad and polarising idea to me...

Remember that sustained gains tend to be exponential in nature... 

If a group dominates early on it could potentially permanently dominate the game and make it very dull for everyone else.

TBH I'm hoping it's the other way around... I'm hoping that they will take steps to make sure Alioth (or at least the greater around the Arkship) cannot be dominated by a single group.

On 23-4-2018 at 2:49 PM, Stig92 said:

Random people can do surprising things when you give them the means. I've heard people from NQ saying that the deathstar is technically possible (except planet killing weapon), but unlikely to happen because of effort it would take. I disagree, if DU becomes successful and long lasting and Disney doesn't kill Star Wars, there are actual changes for that to happen. I would also take concerns of planets including Alioth being strip mined to large extent seriously. 

btw. How many titans has Eve had? 

Let me put it this way: Titans now are just Battleships there. Yes it's a tier of warfare, yes it's advanced organisational requirements, yes it's logistics and costs. But they are just like common battleships now. What is prohibitive for one group or segment is peanuts for another. 

Economies of scale is not a part of game theory, even though it should be, but in most games that carry it as a behavioural or mechanical concept there is a very rough experience base that says "never underestimate - insert any possible human action here". 

On 4/23/2018 at 5:01 AM, Lethys said:

-1, bad idea

You split the playerbase with that (maybe even early on) - not a good idea imho. Especially when NQ always said that they want to enforce player interaction (that's why different systems like skilltime, engines, velocity are in place to ensure that player's stay together for a long time).

Plus what to with the fixed RN in the arkzone for EVERY PLAYER ? Overtake ark -> noone can spawn there. GG, when you die you respawn at the new ark - possibly hours and hours away from your homebase on a sanctuary moon of alioth - thanks game.....

Arkships and safezone should NEVER be in the hands of players - and I think that NQ said that somewhere too.

I agree that is a bad idea however I dont think you should try to limit orgs on teritory but claiming a arkship would be OP in itself what about everyones stuff in the safzone or new player spawn points and the like 

8 hours ago, unown006 said:

I agree that is a bad idea however I dont think you should try to limit orgs on teritory but claiming a arkship would be OP in itself what about everyones stuff in the safzone or new player spawn points and the like 

Yeah. Make the safezone Not Safe again! 

Not. Same Bad idea