Visible IDs on Community Site

Lord_Void

The the Dual Universe community is growing, rapidly, and the communities within Dual Universe are growing, too. The number of people in the community can make it difficult to keep track of who is who on the various platforms: Discord, Twitter, the forums, the community site. There isn't much that can be done about people going by different names on third party services, but it would be nice if it could be easier to tell which people on the forums are which people on the community site. This is a minor but consistent annoyance when socializing and when interviewing people to join organizations. 

I propose a simple and minor fix: include people's DU ID in their community page profile. The ID already exists in the forum profile (look in the URL), should be easy to access since all the accounts are presumably stored in the same database, and as far as I am aware the ID cannot be used for any nefarious purpose. The ID could either be displayed in the URL on the community page or placed as a separate field on the page. Additionally, this change would allow people to create better third party tools. 

the way I see it:

it's only the ID for the account - that doesn't neccessarily mean ingame name / ingame names.

Why have a survey for KS backers to state their name reservation when your account is linked anyway? doesn't make sense, that's why I don't really see the problem here.

I'm not sure I get what he is proposing... Does he want to link our Forum and Community accounts? I don't get why they are separate in the first place, so sure.

But then I'd like to be able to have a separate page/forum profile for each of my characters. Oh, and one for me as the player behind them. 

13 hours ago, vylqun said:

1. You shouldnt be able to see the game ID anywhere

Why? I am genuinely curious why you think no one should see this. It is not used to log-in anywhere or for any security purposes that I am aware of. It's not a social security or credit card number, it's the order in which your account was created (I believe). Also, just so there is no confusion, the ID I am talking about is the 3-5 digit number in the URL to your forum profile. Mine is 2687.

13 hours ago, vylqun said:

2. People chose if they want to be recognized or not, it shouldnt be forced

Kind of defeats the point of having the game be focused around socialization if you can't tell who anyone is. Being recognized is key to building a reputation, good or bad. 

30 minutes ago, AzureSkye said:

Does he want to link our Forum and Community accounts? I don't get why they are separate in the first place, so sure.

Yes. I'm not sure why they are separated either. They are a manifestation of the same account, so why not link them a bit more obviously? 

1 minute ago, Lord_Void said:

Kind of defeats the point of having the game be focused around socialization if you can't tell who anyone is. Being recognized is key to building a reputation, good or bad. 

misunderstood you on the ID part then, but still, you can't force people to use the same name everywhere in a game, there are a lot of rp-players who enjoy to play several characters. And ppl with bad reputations probably dont want to be recognized everywhere either.

Using IDs to identify someone is not really user friendly. I don't think anyone will look at them.

Also, players can already chose their name on both sites. If they want to be recognized, it's easy to do.

So I don't see any problem here ?

Edit: security-wise, the ID is not that important and there is nearly always a way to get it anyway.

Regards,

Shadow