How will you prevent people from getting harassed, trolled and griefed?

GIJhen

One of the biggest turnoffs for mmorpg space games like eve online for me has been the constant harassment and infringement of other players while I am trying to enjoy the game.  I want to be able to mine asteroids explore and trade without the constant annoyance that some jerk will decide they will blow up my ship and destroy all that I tried to do just because they felt like it? So before me and my friends decide to get this game and invest our time, please explain how you will prevent people from bothering players who do not want to be bothered?

Hire me. Ill protect you for a very small % of what u mine. Just look me up when u get started. Find the nearest cantina and ill b the one sitting in the back booth playing cards and wearing wornout leather. Ignore the big hairy beast. He's harmless.

I realize there are different player types and interests but I encourage or suggest that some move out of their comfort zone a bit or don't "overblow" potential issues. Could you get attacked no matter the reason? Probably.

Will it happen everywhere at literally any time? No, unlikely. You could mine countless hours and have fun with your friends and perhaps be shot once or twice on average. This is not an issue to me. You may also have to mind where you are or mine. Doing it in an area known for hostility or crime? Figures.

It's akin to reality I guess where you can't demand total safety everywhere, too. There are more dangerous and more peaceful or policed areas. You can also hire protection. All the freelance bounty hunters, mercenaries and corporations actually offering protection aren't there or doing it to look pretty but advertising actual services (I hope).

The same way I prevent them from harassing, trolling and griefing me in other games. I harass, troll and grief them right back!

ARK: Survival Evolved is especially good for that. It's hilarious to see them whine after a couple well placed jabs/shots kills their favorite dino, after the player himself is put to sleep, etc :)

I just hope NQ addresses the issue of "offline base raiding" adequately. This happens in most games - ARK, Rust, etc etc. Automated defenses are always totally inadequate, so people just wait until a player is offline to break in with zero risk and steal all their stuff. Seriously. I'm not going to cite EVE as the perfect mechanism, but at least POS shields had "reinforced" mode and you had a way to organize some sort of defense... or get your most valuable stuff out in time (except of course that Titan that was half way cooked heheh).

Working hours and hours just to have your stuff nicked because of a crappy game mechanic that encourages opportunism instead of strategy - not fun. Not fun at all.

I get harassed considerably more in games that allow PvP combat than I do in real life.

Because unlike in real life, people who enjoy PvP combat tend to hold the belief that it's OK to attack other anywhere that the game mechanics make PvP possible. Lots of people use games as an opportunity to be cruel to other people - because it's not real life.

DU will have safe zones and areas that can be turned into safe zones.

A major focus for me will be maintaining the tech that activates safe zone bubbles.

In addition to limiting your endeavors to safe zones, you could try to be a hermit and adventure far away from the beaten paths.

I think you'll have to wait to hear feedback from players during pre-launch gameplay to get a feel for how disruptive PvP combat might be for your enjoyment.