How will you prevent people from getting harassed, trolled and griefed?

GIJhen

Depends how they handle inventories. If you can "delete" items then yeah eventual planets would be whittled away to nothing. If you have to deposit back into the world to clear it from you inventory then people would fill in holes just to get rid of junk or turn it into structures.

I think as MMO a full PVP game is great, but as a sand box, .... seems only will attract griefers and similar chaotic players,

But there is one think Devs must take in consideration if they want all kinds of player on their game.. Not all players like to fight 24/7

Many players, as myself,  plays sandbox as builder oriented game play, we mine, we build, we sell, we like to build not destroy,
and become very frustrate if some jerck with a warship blow up our workshop or station we took 3+ months to build in fine details and well scripted.

I hope game provide ways for creation of stealth technologies and ways to flee and jump away on hyperspace when your scans alert that enemy or unknown ships are approaching to your position.

If the game provide no way to protect the builder players creations, we will see in most clumsy creations, just functional but not really artistic detailed stations and ships. Because builders will not put that much effort on a creation that can be griefed by trolls just to feel like kicking a kid's sand castle.

I know ark city will be safe and my starship factory will be there if its possible to player build that place

My intent is to bring the most advanced ships and i don't want no competitor arrive to wipe my factory away

Hi 

I've been around for a while now reading a little of everything and thought it was time to jump in to the conversation, it seems a lot of people around here thinks we are going to be allowed to say and act any way we want, i hope and think you are severely wrong...all online games have a ToS you have to follow and Dual Universe is not going to be diffrent, i will leave a link to EvE Online's ToS 

https://community.eveonline.com/support/policies/terms-of-service-en/

and i suggest you all look at point 2,3 and 4. I am all for world pvp but to go around stomping on the little guy just for fun is grefing and most likely wont be tolerated if you do it over and over. I sincerely hope that people will fight people their own "size" and not going around being asshats to the little people just because they can. Also i realize RP is not for everyone, but i doesn't make sense story/lore wise that we all just escaped certain doom on earth just to land on a new planet to start killing eachother, we are all a small selected group of people sent from earth to start over together. Sorry if i came of as an ass in my first post here but it just sounded to me that there are people that will go around being an ass to others just because they feel like it for no reason. (english not main language aka grammar won't be 100%)

I hope it stays like this. Is there any indication on how many stars, planets etc will be in the early releases?

Technically the universe will be infinite (at least in the final release). However, expansion will be difficult enough that practically it could be many years before one would find it difficult to cross the colonised part of the galaxy. It might take more than the first day for anyone to have engines to get to space and possibly as long as a month before any organisation can start building a Stargate to travel to the first new system.

If I'm to understand the approach Star Citizen is taking they will still be using procedural generation to create a limited number of planets and they will then add some bespoke features to these. I think I prefer this halfway house approach to the route that Eliter Dangerous and NMS took.

NQ have expressed interest in adding ruins and other things to provide small bits of lore across the universe, but they want most content to be player created. Both NMS and DU might have procedurally generated empty planets, but unlike in NMS we can turn those planets into Coruscant-like megacities if we please.

I hope game provide ways for creation of stealth technologies and ways to flee and jump away on hyperspace when your scans alert that enemy or unknown ships are approaching to your position.

If the game provide no way to protect the builder players creations, we will see in most clumsy creations, just functional but not really artistic detailed stations and ships. Because builders will not put that much effort on a creation that can be griefed by trolls just to feel like kicking a kid's sand castle.

I would personally say that if you're building some enormous ship you can't really afford to lose while it's being built, contract a mercenary company to protect your construction site.

But aside from that, it will be possible (eventually) to build protective bubbles like the arkship, but they won't be indestructible. I have a feeling that Alioth, for example, will eventually be turned into a mostly bubble-covered noob-zone full of advertising for organisations.

JC has mentioned that they want to include stealth but no details so far. I hope it'll work for even smaller ships, I want to be able to cloak myself while carrying cargo through dangerous places.

Thank you for your valuable and constructive feed back. As always i'm impressed by the tolerance other players have for people with different play styles in this community.

And you show tolerance for other playstyles by killing players who don't want to fight? :D

so this is just another eve online then, a pvp sandbox that will drive away people who don't like to be griefed

No one knows the details yet. Check out this dev post for a better understanding of the tone the dev team has towards pve vs pvp.

Will the game be more of a PvP game? Of course--I think that much is obvious.

Will the game have players that want nothing more than to destroy/"harass" other players? Of course--what sandbox game doesn't?

Will the game provide opportunities for players to "feel/be safe"? I think it will. Whether it's developer imposed features (safe zones, territory management, etc), or the community created groups/organizations that ensure safety--you will be able to play the game and have a good time.

Is there any response from the dev on an NPC security force and/or a bounty system? Both are implemented in Elite Dangerous and overall I think that they are positive additions. 

An NPC security force might help keep some of the griefers at bay and also introduce an exciting dynamic. For example, what if a security force was automatically established on a planet over time when certain prerequisites were met (perhaps after reaching a sufficient number of player built bases or some such).  NPCs would maintain order and act accordingly if illegal activity was detected. What might be really interesting is if the base of the security forces could be made to be destructible but only given a sufficiently powerful force of players made an assault and then the region devolves into chaos. Or perhaps the security forces need taxes to function. No taxes, no security forces and then it's a free for all. I'm just brainstorming,

The bounty system (while potentially be open to abuse - e.g. a bunch of players purposely griefing each other to get rewards) could also add a really nice dynamic. In Elite Dangerous there are people who play as dedicated pirates and bounty hunters. This makes for some really interesting dynamic. For example, I've been mugged by pirates who could have destroyed me but left me alone after they got my cargo. Now that was thrilling because I was sure I was dead.

But if I am to be obliterated then I'd rather it be a person role-playing as a pirate (I don't expect an eyepatch and a space parrot, just the mentality) than a griefer. The distinction is that the first person is presumably doing it for some gain while the second is just being a jerk.

I agree that the absence of a hard zone safety area doesn't automatically mean the only encounter you have to have is the brash kind.

As players and a community we can decide if this game is more successful than dayz and eve. Or everyone can be paranoid and grape each other having cheap fun and low brow humor until it's a ghost town.

so in your world greed is more noble than glory and enjoyment? 

Such a fine example of a loaded question. For your next trick I suspect you will be asking me, "Yes or no - do you still  beat your wife?"  

Now do you have anything constructive to say about my post? Call me biased but I thought it contained a couple of interesting ideas on how to enhance gameplay.

The bounty system (while potentially be open to abuse - e.g. a bunch of players purposely griefing each other to get rewards) could also add a really nice dynamic.

If a player has to pay the bounty himself, abuse for money gain wouldn't make sense. Maybe if you get killed by a player more than once in a short period of time you can set a bounty on him. Would be pretty cool to have a feature like this.

I like being a jerk and messing around with people in sandboxes, that's the whole point of it: because they are the only games where I'm allowed to.

An npc like police is nice, but iirc devs said no to them. I think they will come up with something similar to like high security space beyond those 20km radius around the arkship. Because those 20 are not much with thousands of players

Vulture Corp have already expressed interest in establishing planetary police forces. Security in the game will be player generated, which is good - various governments can punish what they please, instead of relying on AI police to punish what NQ has to arbitrarily set as "bad".

Vulture Corp have already expressed interest in establishing planetary police forces.

For now we try to put focus on moderate to large cities with the police idea, assuming said force will remain relatively small. But with enough demand and sufficient size a planet may be likely too.

I want to highlight that it will be more of a local force, possibly tied to cities, planets or certain groups while operating under certain guidelines. No intergalactic super police, would not work well anyway given the many nations, empires, etc. Just saying to possibly prevent confusion with the idea.

And that's the exact way it should be in a sandbox - YOU have to do something, YOU have to enhance your gameplay, YOU shape the universe/your surroundings/your playstyle. People always want to rely on OTHERS to do that kind of stuff for them (in implementing some crazy mechanics) but that's not the point of a sandbox.

I agree that there HAS to be a safe zone for really young characters where they learn the first steps and can build up a bit. But it is CLEARLY VISIBLE AND UNDERSTOOD by all players that, once leaving the safe zone (you know, where all the fun is), any interaction with other players might happen. So no need for whiners and butt hurt people. There will be Orgs (like EveUni) who teach those newbros and tell them about the mechanics ("how to survive the first 500meter out of the safezone while pirates are camping there"). There will be players who gather newbros and they will assault those campers.

But I can assure you: it will be like it always was. People will ignore all mechanics. People will ignore others who tell them it's dangerous out there. People will ignore the very basic preparations in order to go outside (like caring for enough food, better armor, shields, weapons). They will die horribly there and will start whining on the forums to "nerf griefers!", "pirates OP!", "there should be mechanics to avoid getting killed in order to play safe!".  

Been there, done it, saw it. Whiners never change