How will you prevent people from getting harassed, trolled and griefed?

GIJhen

what if i sent a probe out for 3 months to an uncharted region of space and allowed players access through my gate for a reasonable fee, that would make the space a safe zone as anyone caught attacking would be banned access through the gate. Again i think people underestimate how big this game really is. Their is a market to be made from pirates by being able to provide such services.

The universe is in essence, infinite. Their is no real limit to on what we can do (as long as the game is all it promises to be), if your being griefed you don't need to stay in the area, you only need to go their to do what you need (trade, refuel, ect) even so after time i could probably provide most of that in the area so you never had to leave ect ...

so much possibility .. free your minds!! lol

From something JC said in a Q and A it seems that while you need stargates to travel to a system you do not need to go to and from the stargate or through the stargate to jump system to system. That is a totally new answer to both the free roam problem and the camping the gate problem. I.e. There is no bottleneck at the gate to be camped. 

"Stealth: We plan stealth technology in Dual Universe (even if it's not planned soon).

Afk cloaking is indeed a problem in EVE.

Psychological warfare is interesting, as long as it involves activity from the player wanting to do it.

From what we have analyzed, afk cloaking has been possible because of a few things:

- the fact that all players in the solar system are displayed on the local chat. If you see someone you don't know, it migh be a spy, or someone planning an ambush.

- the fact that a player can leave from a safe area (space stations) from a unique point (easy to ambush). 

- the fact that a player wanting to leave the solar system generally needs to use a stargate (also an easy place to ambush).

As Dual Universe won't work "solar system by solar system" and there won't be only one point of entry/exit for a safe area, this kind of abuse should have a lot less impact in Dual Universe. And if it still does... well, we keep your suggestions in our papers as possible ways to handle it   ;)"

The question was on stealth. 

https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/1122-dual-universe-faqsources/

This give slow progression rather than quick scattering because the gate matters but your system is rather open and is a big big place. Guard your cities and mines not just your gate.

This equalises the new players and the established ones, the PvE players and the PvP players.  
Very smart. 

The only way to slow down the space pirates is to punish them.

OK, it´s a sandbox game where everyone can do what he wants. But if a player is a known pirate he should be judged.

That means no entry into the safe zone, no legal trading anymore and so on.

If you have the "fun" to be a pirate and disturb normal palyers you should take the consequences.

If pirates and destroyers won´t get punished in some way, the game will fail. Think about it to recognize that this is the truth.

I think there will be no protection expect ark areas.

I hope there will be some kind of crimefighting from the players otherwise the game will be a chaos.

Just imagine it as a social experiment. a clash between "It's just a game let's GRIEF" type players and the peacekeepers.

Really ?! You guys want some shitty Space Carebear game ? Great, just go play Hello Kitty Online then. You don't have a clue of what you are talking about, it's sad and hopefully the devs will never follow your idea of a game.

Really ?! You guys want some shitty Space Carebear game ? Great, just go play Hello Kitty Online then. You don't have a clue of what you are talking about, it's sad and hopefully the devs will never follow your idea of a game.

I never said im against piracy or PVP. I dont even like the idea of arkification(expect starting area).

I mean i think the economy and everything will be ruined without peacekeeping forces and i hope (and i"m almost sure) some players will take the role of crimefighters.

Well said oh wise froglord.

From something JC said in a Q and A it seems that while you need stargates to travel to a system you do not need to go to and from the stargate or through the stargate to jump system to system. That is a totally new answer to both the free roam problem and the camping the gate problem. I.e. There is no bottleneck at the gate to be camped.

That's interesting, I have not yet come across that, however I will search for it later. So it is basically suggesting that once a player has set up 2 linked star gates that anyone can then jump to that new system. I of course fully agree with the anti bottle neck system, but i was hoping that I could at least control who used my star gate by way of having co ordinates they needed to be given in order to access the system I had discovered and colonized. 

How ever whatever NQ decides to do in that regard I am confidant will be in the best interest of the players :)

I hear people saying it is a sandbox and you cant limit players from being/doing harassment/trolling/griefing.

I disagree, for me in a sandbox you can do what you want with the mechanics given to you.

So if you have mechanics that allow you stop these things it very possible.

Off the top of my head, say you can build and deploy a construct that nullifies all combat in a given range then it is completely within the sandbox and emergent gameplay ethos to allow this  Obviously this needs balancing, so perhaps you need fuel or something for this. Player cities could build security constructs that make non PvP zones within their cities etc.

It just has to be done by giving players tools that can manipulate the mechanics.

Spung

If the devs are serious about Dual Universe being solo-friendly then it can't be open PvP. There's no way a newbie or soloer can stand a chance against gankers and griefers. No adult is going to pay money for a low-priority game where they can lose everything if they get called away for high-priority real life.

At that point you're simply limiting your potential customer base to the hardcore PvPers, which is a tiny fraction of gamers, and that group is already served by a number of existing games.

OK, it´s a sandbox game where everyone can do what he wants. But if a player is a known pirate he should be judged.

If you have the "fun" to be a pirate and disturb normal palyers you should take the consequences.

If pirates and destroyers won´t get punished in some way, the game will fail. Think about it to recognize that this is the truth.

That really depends on the motivations of the pirates.

Not all pirates are the same. Different pirates will have different goals and motivations.

There will very likely be sets of pirates with whom it's possible to negotiate - derailing them via diplomacy rather than via punishment.

"Destroyers" is really a subjective view. In Star Wars, aren't the Rebels/Pirates destroyers? Or is the Empire the destroyers?

Don't fly what you can't afford to replace. The best piece of advice I ever received in eve. and if you want to mitigate loses all together go find a carebear zone and hang out there. lose and griefers are a part of life I don't like it any more than anyone else but the best way to deal is to just get over it, 90% of the time they do it for the reaction and nothing else so don't give them the satisfaction.

oh I didn't realize Eve online was such a failure....

Perhaps markets could have a feature where players can set the "security status" of people that they're willing to allow?

I like the safe zone preventing pirates idea, but would that mean that anyone who engages in pvp would be prevented from coming into the safe zones? 

Well if griefers and pirates annoy you, just get a police force up and running for YOURSELF and hunt em down. It's a sandbox. If you don't want pirates to be around, be the police to stop em and don't cry for guidance from the devs

Yeah .... restore BALANCE in the universe ;)

Oh great, look what you've done to me now! I've ended up watching a hello kitty online game play video. SO much pink my eyes, my eyes. 

Actually it looks good for a game designed for 5 year olds. Works well too.

I am already working on an armed mining grav speeder that can roll out in convoy beyond the safe zone on a planet.  Grav tanks for the win. 

Once in space I challenge you to chase me. Most of my guns will face backwards on my Scorpion Blockade Runner. Step into my blazing wake. Pleeeease.

Cinderfall will provide a security blanket to its members to provide security ratings within its areas, cities, and gated space.

Within Csyn you will know relative peace and we will even allow you to war Dec other members. Without csyn though good luck, have fun in the free for all.

If you want freedom security and respect join join csyn or a member org of the Syndicate.

Joining an org really is the answer to this.  I tend to be a bit anitsocial from time to time and I'm mostly a solo player.  But after setting up an org and starting to talk about what our plans will be with our members, the role play aspect of it all has become VERY appealing.  Now I simply don't want to play this game alone.  I'm almost even looking forward to griefers when they discover that girl down there building all alone already has reinforcements on the way.  Surprise, surprise...muhahaha. 

The universe wont be infinite at first

I hope it stays like this. Is there any indication on how many stars, planets etc will be in the early releases?

I initially bought into Elite Dangerous because of its massive scale but I now see the size of the in-game universe as a negative. Not to be overly critical on what I think is a good game, but it wasn't long before I found myself wanting to interact with real players (even if the are gnakers and trolls). Instead, I found a pretty barren universe occasionally populated by interactions with low-level NPCs that in truth don't do much.

If I'm to understand the approach Star Citizen is taking they will still be using procedural generation to create a limited number of planets and they will then add some bespoke features to these. I think I prefer this halfway house approach to the route that Eliter Dangerous and NMS took. 

People who just want to build in peace and do some mining will be able to do so in the ark areas. I suspect a lot of early game orgs will have there HQs in the ark areas but their operations out in the world until travel times get too excessive to justify going back and forth.

I just hope what happens on long lived multiplayer minecraft servers that the spawn area becomes a strip mined wasteland or an abandoned city of derelict houses doesn't happen to DU.

I just hope what happens on long lived multiplayer minecraft servers that the spawn area becomes a strip mined wasteland or an abandoned city of derelict houses doesn't happen to DU.

I would imagine the closer areas would dissappear pretty rapidly, it makes you wonder what will happen further down the line, Perhaps the game could evolve into DU:The Thrid Age, Alioth is on the verge of destruction thanks to the human presence, so we built these big Arkships to escape...

Ah the cycle of life.