Construct spectator mode

Serula

Hello NQ staff,

As a former Landmark player I see the need for a feature very similar to what was used in that game. To more easily view constructs of other people.

Over time and especially when the NDA is lifted I can see the need/desire for players to show off their build and for other players to browse and view all the cool things that people made. I can already see this now as players are flying by and getting out of their ship to take a closer look at a house or ship someone made. Over time more and more builds will be far away and the location of many of those will be unknown to you. Even on Alioth builds are wide spread and without their location you will just need to be lucky to find some really cool player build construct. Though in DU we will always be confined to the location of our character for gameplay purposes. So there needs to be a way for players to view constructs of other people without breaking the gameplay.

I came up with the idea of a spectator mode. First players who have a construct they like to show off, needs to be marked or tagged in some way by the owner to opt it in for display in a gallery. Other players can then open the gallery and either travel to the location of that construct as a spectator or open a "construct viewer" where they can then view the construct without element interaction rights. That right should need to be activated by the creator. You may already have some sort of "consturct viewer" planned for the time when players will be able to sell their construct and buyers would like to view the product, just as a reminder that there may be overlap there. Your physical body should remain in the same place while you are viewing the construct so there is no exploit in escaping combat in some way. It might even be interesting to charge a small fee of ingame currency for viewing a construct. That might give players more incentive to build better and good looking things. Another thing to consider is that when players view a construct at the build site it should probably not be possible to view it's location/coordinates unless the creator gave those permissions. Anything that's near the build site that the spectator can see, like constructs of other people, might interfere with the intended gameplay and I don't know enough about that to give my opinion on that. 

In short I hope there will be a feature that allows players to more easily view the constructs of others and maybe even rate them.

6 minutes ago, Sander496 said:

-snipping for brevity -

I came up with the idea of a spectator mode. First players who have a construct they like to show off, needs to be marked or tagged in some way by the owner to opt it in for display in a gallery. Other players can then open the gallery and either travel to the location of that construct as a spectator or open a "construct viewer" where they can then view the construct without element interaction rights.

-snip-

You could take control of an area (possibly within a protected area) and try to create a "Museum" of sorts where you could congregate interesting designs.  You would be able to allow people to place a BPed design down (you could give them access to place, and then remove it after done).  That way you could create a place for people to show off their creations without having a special mechanism for it.  This wouldn't be perfect (designs that are dependent on the landscape would be difficult/impossible to do justice), but should be possible.

That doesn't mean I dislike your idea.  I am just trying to explain 1 way it could be implemented without special mechanisms outside what has already been said would be in the game.

That is another way of doing it. Though it would still require people to physically travel there to do it. But I like the idea of having all those constructs in the same place like a showroom.

I get why ppl want this but i don't get why ppl always want the easy way out aka press a button and boom, done.

A group of players who want to do that and want to promote this can in fact just work for that goal - that's as humble and good as any other goal or org out there. 

You can do this already: get in touch with orgs, ask if they want to participate. Make appointments. Fly there and Take screens/videos or maybe they even get you a copy of the ship. Make it your project for Du. Make yourself a name by doing that - and actually work for it

9 hours ago, SirJohn85 said:

Why don't you ask the owner to give you a tour?

Or find out who owns the building?

DU is an mmorpg and you usually play with others.

Or just have the option to right click on a construct, have a menu option of "About" that when clicked on shows the builder of an item and the blueprint name that created the item.

That way the more items that are in the world the better the 'advertising' for them and greater the sales.

Simple, elegant, no server lag, and multiple points of advertising. ;)