A lesson from ARK: Survival Evolved.

Orius

I would like to provide an example from a different game. Now I don't want people to start comparing the games in great detail, as I do not think they can be compared deeply - at best, they share similarities or universal aspects.

My point now is size, however. And control of groups over territory.

I will use DayZ as example

I will refer to the map you can play in.

v Maps in spoiler to keep post short v

Spoiler

246500332D0894DE55A3CD1584BF8D30AA5380AE

Somewhat outdated map of South Zagoria province of Chernarus, but still relatively the same in size. This is the playable part.

arma_2_island_locations.jpg

Larger picture or where the province is situated, including non-playable parts

A wiki entry states the country itself is 225 km2 in size, so the playable map in the first picture above is way smaller. Some google search hinted at it only being 16 x 16 km or so. I currently play it actively in an RP community on a private shard that does well to simulate evolving and growing (or dissolving) player factions. Granted, in this example we have to keep in mind that server population is ultimately limited. Just like map size is compared to DU or comparable games.

But the point here is how player factions exert control over parts of the playable areas. For example, in that community there is currently a major conflict going on between "Anarchy forces" who have ties to some communist secessionist movement that grabbed parts of the nation in the chaos following some rabies infection, and some resistance with ties to the original government of the nation - all portrayed by players. For a long while they exerted power over the survivor populace. Only recently, from government controlled areas, paramilitary, government backed forces returned to the province to engage those anarchy forces.

In a more abstract or general fashion,  we basically had an aggressive group who'd also raid, rob, murder people at will and not everyone submitted to or agreed with them. Some fought. Some stayed away from them. Depending on the player or person you are, you have many options. They were or are a powerful group and good at PVP. They do have numbers and more members than most other groups on average. But the thing is, they can't be everywhere at once. The map above might seem small, especially if you know it well or just look at the map and different scale. But it's still huge in a certain way, with cities, villages and lots of forests. Now not just counting size and looking at player interactions, what happened? A group began to drive others away or piss them off. In that case you can bugger off, join them or fight back. That's what people eventually did - they started fighting back because they grew tired of their antics. This lead to several people and groups forming an alliance to fight those people. And then even other factions joined in, events are generated, content is generated, people are having fun. Instead of complaining about others earning their influence or getting to where they got, people roll with it and incorporate it into their gameplay.

But enough of this example now.

jofX06O.png

Dual Universe will be even bigger than just a patch of land in a nation, on one planet. Now I get that there will also be vastly more players and all of them will be on the same server or run around in the very same game universe instead of being separated by servers. The scale therefore goes up. But with theoretically endless space and many options, I really - for now - see little need for panic or above-average concerns for the future.

I want to see a large group blockade a whole planet effectively if space will indeed be big in DU later on.

And maybe ... if they got to that point ... they even somewhat earned it. I'll worry or consider dev involvement when it actually happens and when a point is reached where gameplay is severely impacted for new players (there). And before "out of game" involvement or concern is or should be a thing, there's plenty of ways to react to a perceived developing threat with game measures.

I also still see plenty of room for smaller organizations. Not everyone wants to or can be the elephant in the room, as large communities or organizations can be volatile if the right conditions are met. In other words, Empires rise and fall.

As I believe in emergent gameplay in general, I'm also so far against a system to limit organization size by numbers. Again, if people can manage to pull something (large) off and maintain it over time, I see no reason to put stones in their way - unless it turns into an "out of game" problem for new players.

But time shall tell. I just see no real need to worry until then, frankly.

57 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

Im not intimidated by big orgs which may/maynot control all the resources. Nor their ships nor number of grunts at their disposal.

I pity them. They take the easy path - how boring!

There's no need to be intimidated but you should also not be ignorant about this.

It's not about choosing the easy path, it is about organizing in a way that you can gather and manufacture quickly so you gain an edge over others. The only thing that may regulate this is the skilling system which we currently do not know much, if anything, about. When done right it should allow for a much more even playing field in the beginning but eventually the big organizations will get the edge in 'everyday' and 'basic' game play elements for obvious reasons.

6 hours ago, blazemonger said:

There's no need to be intimidated but you should also not be ignorant about this.

It's not about choosing the easy path, it is about organizing in a way that you can gather and manufacture quickly so you gain an edge over others. The only thing that may regulate this is the skilling system which we currently do not know much, if anything, about. When done right it should allow for a much more even playing field in the beginning but eventually the big organizations will get the edge in 'everyday' and 'basic' game play elements for obvious reasons.

I said :  "I am not intimidated by,,,,,," and hence I am also not ignorant of 'big orgs' - you are good at spinning things to say something that was never said.....

And big orgs are, generally, 'easier' to survive in than smaller orgs, so my comment still holds true.

Organisation org members to achieve results is valid, and optimal, however dosn't necessarily imply a large org. either.  (think Rocks and Kings since you have played Eve). ;)

So organisation of members to achieve goals quickly is one key of a successful org, this however doesnt mean that the org needs to be 'big'. Especially considering the size of the current universe, and systems to come after it.

1 minute ago, blazemonger said:

@CoreVamore

I think you read my first comment wrong. I did not mean to say you are ignorant but was generally speaking.

Ah ok, then maybe you should have written something like "There's no need to be intimidated but people should also not be ignorant about this. "   to avoid confusion ;)

Thx for clarifying ;)

8 hours ago, blazemonger said:

... and will come in with serious numbers ...

... and remember, if they are real Goons, they come to kill the game. 
(If they are neo-Goons, they come to put more $$$ in Mitten's mittens.) ;)

Purge all of them whenever you can before the cockroaches grow and establish themselves in the game.

9 hours ago, Jenshae said:

... and remember, if they are real Goons, they come to kill the game. 
(If they are neo-Goons, they come to put more $$$ in Mitten's mittens.) ;)

Purge all of them whenever you can before the cockroaches grow and establish themselves in the game.

I've had diplomatic dealings with Goons in several games and they come in to prick pomposity (or the take it too seriously crowd) and to be the happy face of chaos.  They're also a lot cannier than the lulzgoon popular image.

@Orius

We do know Ark and we have already taken game design decisions to make sure it won't become the same.

If you haven't read it yet, we encourage you to read this DevBlog article from January.

As the concern has been answered the topic is going to be locked, to avoid further digressions.

Best Regards,

Nyzaltar.