Drugs, slave trade, and other fun things

Toecutter

So I was thinking, wouldnt it be cool if we could make a space mexico, with a massive drug industry etc

or better yet, live out your fantasies as an interstellar slave trader, roaming the galaxy looking for ships and planets to pillage

so what do you think, should we have space naer-do-wells with unique risks and rewards, and if so, how do you think it should play out, mechanics wise

Explain how will you force a player into slavery.

Drugs, meh, not really, it's not a game driven by NPC lore and logic. Smugglers will simply be black market FedEx, delivering weapons to griefers' factions that can'\t go near major trading hubs because they will be blown to bits within seconds.

well drugs could provide buffs like in EvE online, but could be banned in certain areas, and forcing a player into slavery seems a bit much, because it would really suck for that guy, but npcs from other ships (I'm unsure as to how npcs will work in DU since there are multiple conflicting things I've read)  might be captured, indoctrinated and used to crew your ships, it would be cheaper, but again likely illegal in most places, so trading in slaves would likely be difficult, but lucrative, thats my general idea of it

So this may seem absurd, but i had an idea to make slavery viable... 

If for instance there is a cool down or penalty for dying, perhaps if your killed you can serve a brief period, shorter than the cool down, as a slave for the person that killed you. 

Like if your invading a space station, which could be far from your spawn point (i have no idea how that will work but lets pretend for now) once you die, instead of having to wait a while, go back to a fixed point and then set out on your adventure again, you could complete a few tasks to the benefit of the person who killed you to be revived quickly and in place. then some mechanic makes it so your former assassin would be unable to harm you until you get clear..

well drugs could provide buffs like in EvE online, but could be banned in certain areas, and forcing a player into slavery seems a bit much, because it would really suck for that guy, but npcs from other ships (I'm unsure as to how npcs will work in DU since there are multiple conflicting things I've read)  might be captured, indoctrinated and used to crew your ships, it would be cheaper, but again likely illegal in most places, so trading in slaves would likely be difficult, but lucrative, thats my general idea of it

Implants. People can make them illegal because RP reasons

Also, you missed the memo on there will be no NPCs in the world aside from some starting NPCs to provide an optional tutorial.

A part of the reason they can achieve a 10,000+++ players at the same point at the same time, is that  they won't have to hog server space with NPCs This is not star citizen, where NPCs are needed because of the crappy CryEngine netcode. DUAL is all about having players doing everything That includes, having player crew

Good luck with the whole "honor among thieves" thing :P (unless your crew are IRL friends, then it's cool).

In EVE they provided a temporary buff to certain stats and had penalties to others 

Well, this can work, what could also work, is halting your progress in upgrading skills on leveing up to the skillcap and on the skillcap, they could hinder your character with their individual withdrawl effect and each time you get them, they would last less and less, adding in the mix a "poison" effect if you were to have multiple instances of the drugs running in you. 

And of course, make rehab cost a lot material wise and then item used for cleansing is consumed in the process.

The problem is, if NQ wants the game to be accessible to children, as the game is about building as much as it is for demolishing things. My safe bed, is on implants and cybernetic limbs and augmentation. 

Those things can be "permanent" armor slots, that drop if you die. They are expensive, they are accessible by a certain few soldiers for ground combat and have a risk on being dropped.

I mean, I want to have like, a trophy if I were to kill you, infamous pirate Guttertrash I want to have you cybernetic slilt mounted on my wall, why shuldn't I be able to do that? :P

So this may seem absurd, but i had an idea to make slavery viable... 

If for instance there is a cool down or penalty for dying, perhaps if your killed you can serve a brief period, shorter than the cool down, as a slave for the person that killed you. 

Like if your invading a space station, which could be far from your spawn point (i have no idea how that will work but lets pretend for now) once you die, instead of having to wait a while, go back to a fixed point and then set out on your adventure again, you could complete a few tasks to the benefit of the person who killed you to be revived quickly and in place. then some mechanic makes it so your former assassin would be unable to harm you until you get clear..

There's a reason people would not choose to fight IRL or be taken as slaves  Good ol' preservation kicks in. In a game, they would choose death over it. Plus, the possibility of a penalty for death, doesn't mean the penalty would be debilitating to the point of forcing another person to do something they don't want. That's called griefing a person. Just sayin'. Let's leave piracy in, leave slavery out.

Plus, if you capture them, they may call in the cavalry on your location if the in-game minimap is thorough enough, or if the captive can calculate time of flight from one place to another, possibly knowing how much you spent in warp and all. People do this IRL, in the trunks of cars as they call 911. In a video game there are the same problems. They could relate that information to their buddies and before you know it, World War 3 has come to your crib.

Implants. People can make them illegal because RP reasons

Also, you missed the memo on there will be no NPCs in the world aside from some starting NPCs to provide an optional tutorial.

A part of the reason they can achieve a 10,000+++ players at the same point at the same time, is that  they won't have to hog server space with NPCs This is not star citizen, where NPCs are needed because of the crappy CryEngine netcode. DUAL is all about having players doing everything That includes, having player crew

Good luck with the whole "honor among thieves" thing :P (unless your crew are IRL friends, then it's cool).

there is also information stating there will be npcs for animals etc, so like I said, conflicting information, players should do everything I agree, but player crew seems like an incredible hassle from a gameplay perspective, so really it's fairly confusing

maybe they want people to create and code their own npcs for the game using an in game mechanic, but I'm generally uncertain what the deal is in that area

I could see drugs working, each with unique buffs and debuffs, but not in any inherently illicit manner. Outlawing stuff will be in the purview of the emergent gameplay.

I don't see any way that slavery can work as a game mechanic without ruining people's fun or without making it underpowered. Using NPCs for this mechanic also won't work since there won't be any NPCs except for something to help the economy at the game's launch.

Ive goten so much hate for my vitoc suggestion.

And I mean, everyone from eve knows dont use what you cant afford to lose.

but there could be people out there with like 1.5 billion value in implants or something they dont want to lose, so they might be more willing to make a deal to mine on your ship for an hour or two in exchange to be kicked off on a space dock naked somewhere.

I think Space Coke is a good idea for us roll playing smugglers. You could get virtually tweaked out and mine x2 or something similar that would be worth the risk. This would also help create a black market economy. Sounds like fun to me...

• 1 month later...

why only ban drugs. also it could be banned tec from other countrys. if goverments are at war it would be stupid if they trade goods like weapons. so if you buy one and try to sell it at a regular market at the enemy country it wouldn't work. At a black market it would be something different. Or goods that need a tradingpermit like weapons or drugs. at a black market everyone could buy it. and maybe there could be a good reason to sell drugs with a permit. maybe like striking a illness or healing a wound. take 5 of a drug and get back to normal or take it and boost your stats. like painkiller at the real world. Or another possibility if you have stolen goods maybe like a military ship from some and trader knows that is a stolen good it should be impossible to sell it at a regular market. the same could be for blueprints of military or a company. 

Fact check:

Illegality / Legality is a question of an individual org's laws. NQ won't do that for you. You want a black market / illegal trade, pass laws in game. That's the point.

Interesting RL observation - no group donates/supports/funds the war on drugs more than organised crime - they have the most to lose if things are legal.

In terms of drugs specifically - we won't start with more than basic meds IMO. We will need to explore, discover, research, test and make anything "stat enhancing".

I continuously feel that people miss the point of both the RPG part of MMORPG , and what emergent gameplay is.

Theoretically, all is permitted, anything is possible IF YOU WANT IT TO BE (and it's not an issue of game mechanics, just as it is in real life with the laws of physics et. al.

i mean just tell all your merchants to change a persons permission to be in your area if he trys to sell anything illegal. otherwise we would have to see everyones inventory and that would be dumb and unrealistic. i mean unless you can convince people to spend their time finding out if people on your property have illegal goods its not gonna happen. but tech i could see people killing you over for stealing lol

I definitely hope that some organizations try to create and enforce their own laws.  That would certainly be interesting.

NovaQuark could definitely create some resources that might have positive and negative effects on players or the environment, that might cause organizations to want to ban them in their controlled territories.

The slave thing.  I just don't get it.

I've never seen a game that has implemented slavery in any way that actually adds anything unique or interesting to the game.  Honestly It seems like developers often just toss in a "slave" or "drug" commodity because it makes teenagers giggle.

I think NovaQuark can do better then that.

I definitely hope that some organizations try to create and enforce their own laws.  That would certainly be interesting.

NovaQuark could definitely create some resources that might have positive and negative effects on players or the environment, that might cause organizations to want to ban them in their controlled territories.

The slave thing.  I just don't get it.

I've never seen a game that has implemented slavery in any way that actually adds anything unique or interesting to the game.  Honestly It seems like developers often just toss in a "slave" or "drug" commodity because it makes teenagers giggle.

I think NovaQuark can do better then that.

I have to agree on that slavery can really be defined as griefing. Contracts between players rp wise that's fine.