2. 2. Static constructs only

• Yes no restrictions
    • Limited and costly but viable
    • Do not add this the game will die before it begins
  3. 3. Players only

• Yes no restrictions
    • Limited and costly but viable
    • Do not add this the game will die before it begins

For me, cloaking is about either mimicking your background so as not to show up on passive measurement devices, or trying to minimise any reflections from active scanning systems such as radar.

I realise we've been talking about 'ship radar', but that is more a convenient term rather than physically accurate, surely? At space distances, isn't the fastest thing we know about light? That means that at even something as close as a Sun/Earth distance, a 'radar' is only going to tell you that something was 93 million miles away 16 minutes ago. I expect that most space travel will be at faster than light speeds, so virtually all radar type information is going to be useless, partly because ships won't even be getting their own return signals for a start.

Thus, if ships generally only need to mimic backgrounds by passing on whatever they measure in all directions to the other side of the ship, I guess that technology would not that difficult to accomplish, especially with space - just go mainly with cold=black :).

Sure it might be nice for protection to be pre-warned of incoming ships, but for the most part won't physics (and time) be doing the cloaking anyway unless DU wishes to introduce especially unrealistic super-duper sensor systems?

1 hour ago, dualism said:

I realise we've been talking about 'ship radar', but that is more a convenient term rather than physically accurate, surely? At space distances, isn't the fastest thing we know about light? That means that at even something as close as a Sun/Earth distance, a 'radar' is only going to tell you that something was 93 million miles away 16 minutes ago. I expect that most space travel will be at faster than light speeds, so virtually all radar type information is going to be useless, partly because ships won't even be getting their own return signals for a start.

Light and microwaves (radar) are essentially the same thing. Just different wavelengths. They travel at the same speed.

Considering alioth is a lot smaller than the real earth I think NQ are scaling stuff down a lot which indicates sub light speed will be viable for solar systems. But perhaps not interstellar space. Who knows. The one system is big enough as it is.

The general consensus in scifi is that FTL travel entails the ship going through some weird warpy stuff where no one can touch it. Which makes sense realistically. The conventional laws of physics as we know them can't apply in that situation.

IT seems to me that cloaking devices are in the works, they are listed on the elements page of the wiki.

However I think that cloaking should be like what @Lethys said, done with separate blocks/ generators.

For example having a thermo  shielding would protect against heat source detection, however it would take energy so the ship would be more susceptible to energy scanners. If a ship is radar jamming it would also have a large energy footprint. If a ship is energy jamming then it puts out a large magnetic field and so on. If a ships goal is to be very/completely  stealthy, and block all scanning equipment, it could require an huge amount of fuel/ power and require little to no movement.

the same goes for those who want to be able to scan for everything, it will take an enormous amount of power, and or require little movement for clear detection, making them sitting ducks. 

This could make cloaking much more balanced, and will force more tactical and planning as well as team oriented Approaches to battles, as far as sneaking around goes.

• 7 months later...
On 5/13/2018 at 11:41 AM, Kregon_Tempestus said:

Plz, no just No! I hated cloaked ganker ships in EVE Online , it was cancer and we really not need that here!

If anyone want to be a badass pirate then they will need to work hard for my hard earned cargo!

But this could allow a very good pilot to take out a entire fleet (so long as they do not have the proper s to defend themselves vs this type of tech 

On 5/14/2018 at 11:22 AM, Thainz said:

IT seems to me that cloaking devices are in the works, they are listed on the elements page of the wiki.

However I think that cloaking should be like what @Lethys said, done with separate blocks/ generators.

For example having a thermo  shielding would protect against heat source detection, however it would take energy so the ship would be more susceptible to energy scanners. If a ship is radar jamming it would also have a large energy footprint. If a ship is energy jamming then it puts out a large magnetic field and so on. If a ships goal is to be very/completely  stealthy, and block all scanning equipment, it could require an huge amount of fuel/ power and require little to no movement.

the same goes for those who want to be able to scan for everything, it will take an enormous amount of power, and or require little movement for clear detection, making them sitting ducks. 

This could make cloaking much more balanced, and will force more tactical and planning as well as team oriented Approaches to battles, as far as sneaking around goes.

Yes I think that would still be viable as you still could have all cloaky ships they would be just a lot more expensive and for general use would cloak your weakness in the ship you are flying

• 1 month later...