FTL Hyper drive LUDICROUS speed and gates

unown

Faster than light travel  

29 members have voted

1. 1. How should people be traveling the infinite universe of DU?

• Using a ship based ftl drive or also known as a hyper drive and also include warp gates as a means of travel
    • Only have Gates
    • Only have FTL

That's already known and planned.

Use ftl for fast travel with a similar mechanic as gates: starting Point, ending point. In between ist the ftl dimension. You can be pulled Out of ftl too, so protect your route.

Use a probe and send it to a far away planet. Build a stargate in this side (A). Once the probe arrives, you can do a one time jump with your ship to the probe and instantly arrived at Planet B. Build a stargate there too and connect it to A. 

AFAIK, NQ are planning to introduce FTL drives a few months after launch, with stargates possibly being a few months later in the first big "expansion" for DU.

I may be wrong, but I got the idea that FTL drives may be restricted to "larger ships" (possibly because of power needs). If that is the case, then carriers may become very important for quick travel travel in-system between planets. Protecting that carrier would also be vital, unless you want a very long flight home on your fighter's conventional engines.

Any ship class can presumably use a stargate, but getting to that gate may take a while if you have to fly there on sub-light engines.

23 hours ago, NanoDot said:

AFAIK, NQ are planning to introduce FTL drives a few months after launch, with stargates possibly being a few months later in the first big "expansion" for DU.

I may be wrong, but I got the idea that FTL drives may be restricted to "larger ships" (possibly because of power needs). If that is the case, then carriers may become very important for quick travel travel in-system between planets. Protecting that carrier would also be vital, unless you want a very long flight home on your fighter's conventional engines.

Any ship class can presumably use a stargate, but getting to that gate may take a while if you have to fly there on sub-light engines.

I also was informed via forum browsing that ftl will be very limited

13 hours ago, unown006 said:

I also was informed via forum browsing that ftl will be very limited

Remember not to take everything said on the forums as fact.  People regularly treat their expectations and interpretations of NQs statements as fact, but that doesn't make it true.

I'm not speaking to the limitations of FTL.  I don't remember any specific details about the rarity of them, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

2 hours ago, Felonu said:

Remember not to take everything said on the forums as fact.  People regularly treat their expectations and interpretations of NQs statements as fact, but that doesn't make it true.

I'm not speaking to the limitations of FTL.  I don't remember any specific details about the rarity of them, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Thats why I stated that I got it from the forum not in a devblog from NQ

• 1 year later...

So I voted for the ship based FTL drive but getting one of those and being able to use it should be extremely restrictive wrt to acquiring one and actually being able to use it. Cargo transport and busing could be very real business' in game but if every knoob had the ability to bounce from planet to planet in a palatable amount of time, it would hurt the economy.

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/18/2018 at 1:11 AM, Lethys said:

That's already known and planned.

Use ftl for fast travel with a similar mechanic as gates: starting Point, ending point. In between ist the ftl dimension. You can be pulled Out of ftl too, so protect your route.

Use a probe and send it to a far away planet. Build a stargate in this side (A). Once the probe arrives, you can do a one time jump with your ship to the probe and instantly arrived at Planet B. Build a stargate there too and connect it to A. 

Star gates should be wormholes that brings you to a system and some wormholes should be hidden or known only by who discovered them that would add a funny dimension to the game :)

22 minutes ago, BaileyVandenbroek said:

That is too easy lol? You do not drive long lol instead make wormholes and black holes that we travel into then we arrive in the system and we have to travel a few hours to our destination in that solar system also black holes would be unpredictable and hard to navigate and worm holes could only work with specialship etc.. and making the holes secret so if you know their coords you can go to them if you don't continue to explore.

no idea what that rambling should mean tbh

• 3 months later...