Force Fields as a defense?

unown

Force feilds  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Should force Fields be allowed in DU

• They are needed to protect the estate and well being of others defensively and offensively
    • They are only needed defensively [static defense]
    • They are only needed offensively [dynamic defense]
    • They are not needed and will destroy the game entirly
  2. 2. If Force Fields are added how expensive should they be? This is gauge in how much time per member

• Only 1,000+ member orgs can aqire these beauty's static and 100+ orgs for dynamic Force fields
    • Only 500+ member orgs can obtain static force Fields 50+ for dynamic
    • Only 250+ member orgs can gain Static force Fields 25+ for dynamic
    • Only 100+ member orgs can gain Static force Fields 10+ for dynamic
    • Only 50+ member orgs can gain Static force Fields 5+ for dynamic
    • Only 25+ member orgs can gain Static force Fields solo for dynamic
    • anyone can achieve static or dynamic force Fields decently fast
    • No one will have them

Hey @unown006, absolutely, we should have both types. I guess the topic is focused the ability to use force fields, primarily for based defense, right. So, one way we could look at it is a super powerful defence bubble. It could be easy to get, compatible with static constructs (cuz of some scientific reason), and it would provide a one time limited use (uses a lot of power, and lasts 48 hours). Kinda as a last resort, like  EMP is used.  Just some thoughts. Shield would be damage reducing and force fields would be more or less an electric structure that nothing can pass through.  Those are some of my thoughts on the idea. And they should be available in different and gnarly color effects (for defence porpoises).

On 5/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, dw_ace_918 said:

Hey @unown006, absolutely, we should have both types. I guess the topic is focused the ability to use force fields, primarily for based defense, right. So, one way we could look at it is a super powerful defence bubble. It could be easy to get, compatible with static constructs (cuz of some scientific reason), and it would provide a one time limited use (uses a lot of power, and lasts 48 hours). Kinda as a last resort, like  EMP is used.  Just some thoughts. Shield would be damage reducing and force fields would be more or less an electric structure that nothing can pass through.  Those are some of my thoughts on the idea. And they should be available in different and gnarly color effects (for defence porpoises).

Yea there would be of corse counters to every defense like EMP's 

HOW 2: Shields

Method One:

You make it encompass the most/entire construct it and it discharges/recharges depending on damage. Done. Easy. Wow. Not taxing.

Method Two:

Make a bunch of small shield plates that shield most/all of the construct that can be shot out individually. Magical, huh?

/thread

• 8 months later...
On 5/5/2018 at 9:53 AM, dw_ace_918 said:

another thing to note is that there could be specific expensive high upkeep TU Forcefeilds similar to how eve"s vulnerability timer works where once you do enough damage a timer activates and when the timer goes to 0 the forcefeild will drop and a large planned battle will commence or not this is different then other static sheilds whitch act as hp walls while your deffences attack the enemy

Shields would be a strategically useful addition to the game, but (depending on the specs of the shield array you've installed) they shouldn't last long if they sustain a hit.  This would depend on what they were hit with, and the shield array model.  I don't think access to shield tech should be based on how big your organization is either.  I reckon it should simply be based on whether or not you have the credits (in-game cash).  You should be able to access most types of technology if you have the credits, and you should have the credits if you're good at what you do.  Shield tech would also give those loners out there a chance to venture outside of the safe zones and make their escape if they should run into any outlaw types.  It's fairer that way and gives everyone another incentive to get out there and get busy trying to earn the dough. 

The trade off with having shields is that they would consume a large chunk of your ship's power, or whatever structure you've integrated them into.  If you install shield tech, and you use them at full power (because you're about to get hit with some kind of hi-tech mega-cannon), you're going to significantly reduce the amount of power available to other systems like your ship's engines, weapons array, life support systems, or your base defenses etc.  You could have more than one type of shield array, with some shields better at recovering shield integrity  than others.  The better the shield tech, the more expensive and the more power it will consume.  The least expensive ones lose their integrity very quickly (like one hit would take the section of shielding that was hit down to 60-70% full integrity), whereas more expensive shield arrays would take one hit and the shield's integrity would go down to 80%.  Cheaper shield tech also do not recover their integrity ( integrity refers to the concentration of 'deflector particles' contained in the wall of the shield's force field.  The more deflector particles, the stronger the shield, and the greater its integrity). 

The most expensive shield arrays, on the other hand, would slowly recover shield integrity over time, and allow you to divert parts of your shield array with more integrity to other parts of your shield array with less integrity.  They would also allow you to divert more power from other systems (like weapons) to your shields. So, you can imagine your rear shields are at 45% integrity because you're being hit from behind in a dog fight.  You could divert deflector particles from your front shields to your rear shields to shore up your rear defenses, or you could divert power from your engines to your shields.  But yeah, shields would be interesting.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:15 PM, unown006 said:

specific expensive high upkeep TU Forcefeilds similar to how eve"s vulnerability timer works where once you do enough damage a timer activates and when the timer goes to 0 the forcefeild will drop and a large planned battle will commence

This is a planned feature, and I think it is a great idea to prevent offline pvp.

@OldingDaGrund I personally like the idea of shields, providing they consume large amounts of energy.  However, the problem is that they can remove a lot of the risks of combat (ie, the winning side emerges with NO damage) and also a lot of the nuances of 'subsystem' targeting (which NQ has mentioned will probably be a thing) by giving the construct a unified health pool.

I think that if hp-based shields are a thing, that they should be limited to static constructs and should not work in conjunction with any other kind of shield, including territory shields.  That way, they fill a role of protecting smaller outposts from minor hit and run attacks.

14 hours ago, SGCam said:

I personally like the idea of shields, providing they consume large amounts of energy.  However, the problem is that they can remove a lot of the risks of combat (ie, the winning side emerges with NO damage) and also a lot of the nuances of 'subsystem' targeting (which NQ has mentioned will probably be a thing) by giving the construct a unified health pool.

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but the 'subsystem targeting' game would not be done away with, just delayed a little.  Aside from the problem of explaining how, in the 26th Century, people were inclined to create force-field technology for static constructs but no one thought to create it for moving ones to give them a tactical edge in a battle, I see shield arrays consuming a significant amount of a ship's limited reserves of power (especially for smaller ships at 'full integrity' shields).  At less than full integrity, weapons fire could get through your shields much more quickly.  Shield technology would also be very expensive.  The cheapest shield arrays (in other words, shield arrays designed for small to mid-size ships) would have a limited number of hit points before the deflector particles in the force-field wall are depleted and your shields go down.  Now, some shield array devices (including for small to mid-sized ships) would have the ability to regenerate the 'deflector particles' that form the wall of the shield's force-field.  But once the shields are down, the subsystem targeting phase of your attack would begin.  Shields themselves would have a subsystem that can be targeted and neutralized.  The quick-thinking pilot would take advantage of this. Of course, all of your own subsystems (and their current status), and those of your opponents, would be visible on your ship's HUD.

So, if a player builds shield tech into their ship's design (or purchases one with shields already built into the ship), and they turn it on, they are going to have to  sacrifice their abilities in some other area of their ship (like speed and/or firepower).  Players would control which subsystems are impacted (and to what degree) by tweaking their ship's initial power distribution settings, and choosing which subsystems to route power from to their shields if they need it.  So, with shields on, you would be gaining defensive capabilities, and a little breathing room (especially in a frantic battle involving multiple targets) but you would be giving up some of your offensive or evasive capabilities.  Those might be areas in which your ship is strongest, and so you may decide to instead rely on those.  There could be ways to mitigate the amount of power drain caused by onboard shield tech, however.  For example, if you decided to kit your ship out with ballistic-based weapons (which use less power).  That would be one way to free up some power for your ship's other subsystems, but I imagine ballistic weapons would be less effective against shield technology (hence why shield tech was invented in the first place), versus energy-based weapons which would pack more of a punch against shield tech.

Also, I imagine that at some point, Novaquark might choose to introduce potentially dangerous celestial phenomena for explorers to discover, like black holes, stars, asteroid fields, or extremely toxic planetary environments.  It would make sense for shield tech to be a requirement if players are going to survive encounters with these things.

24 minutes ago, OldingDaGrund said:

Yeah, I see what you're saying, but the 'subsystem targeting' game would not be done away with, just delayed a little.  Aside from the problem of explaining how, in the 26th Century, people were inclined to create force-field technology for static constructs but no one thought to create it for moving ones to give them a tactical edge in a battle, I see shield arrays consuming a significant amount of a ship's limited reserves of power (especially for smaller ships at 'full integrity' shields).  At less than full integrity, weapons fire could get through your shields much more quickly.  Shield technology would also be very expensive.  The cheapest shield arrays (in other words, shield arrays designed for small to mid-size ships) would have a limited number of hit points before the deflector particles in the force-field wall are depleted and your shields go down.  Now, some shield array devices (including for small to mid-sized ships) would have the ability to regenerate the 'deflector particles' that form the wall of the shield's force-field.  But once the shields are down, the subsystem targeting phase of your attack would begin.  Shields themselves would have a subsystem that can be targeted and neutralized.  The quick-thinking pilot would take advantage of this. Of course, all of your own subsystems (and their current status), and those of your opponents, would be visible on your ship's HUD.

So, if a player builds shield tech into their ship's design (or purchases one with shields already built into the ship), and they turn it on, they are going to have to  sacrifice their abilities in some other area of their ship (like speed and/or firepower).  Players would control which subsystems are impacted (and to what degree) by tweaking their ship's initial power distribution settings, and choosing which subsystems to route power from to their shields if they need it.  So, with shields on, you would be gaining defensive capabilities, and a little breathing room (especially in a frantic battle involving multiple targets) but you would be giving up some of your offensive or evasive capabilities.  Those might be areas in which your ship is strongest, and so you may decide to instead rely on those.  There could be ways to mitigate the amount of power drain caused by onboard shield tech, however.  For example, if you decided to kit your ship out with ballistic-based weapons (which use less power).  That would be one way to free up some power for your ship's other subsystems, but I imagine ballistic weapons would be less effective against shield technology (hence why shield tech was invented in the first place), versus energy-based weapons which would pack more of a punch against shield tech.

This makes me think of eve onlines rorqual miner PANIC mode ;) Anyway Routing of power would be cool we see it in star wars all the time why not here?

8 minutes ago, unown006 said:

This makes me think of eve onlines rorqual miner PANIC mode ;) Anyway Routing of power would be cool we see it in star wars all the time why not here?

Yeah, roger that.  Another layer of strategy would only help the game and increase the number of 'how to' tutorials that are made after game-launch ?