Maglev engines as an alternative to rails

DarkbutGood

I have seen that mechanical assets have been rejected by the devs Trello page this is understandable but disappointing for numerous reasons but I have a way around the need for traditional rails for trains maglev technology. This would allow players to make constructs that are powered only by batteries which would allow for simple transportation that are recharged by renewable energy if the DU devs decided to include that form of power generation but more importantly will be a way to move constructs on a track without having the construct physically touch the building it rests on, which would be much lighter on our computers as there would be no need for collision simulation. The use for Maglev engines would not just be limited to trains but also elevators that can move sideways, space elevators, ship catapults to launch ships like in Battlestar Galactica and large mobile launch platforms like that used by NASA for their spacecraft.

In summary, Maglev engines could serve as a compromise between the players need for mechanical assets to make moving parts and the devs concerns for game performance by letting players use a contactless rail system.

I hope I made my idea clear let me know what you think.

Dark_but_Good

Sounds good.

It's basically connecting two independent constructs in a dynamic way. So if implemented properly, that could easily lead to much more freedom, like custom turrets or hangar gates.

But I'm afraid it may be a bit too complicated, at least in the first stages of development (alpha/beta/right after release).

And you can make some basic version of it with hover engines/landing gear (to create cushion between constructs) and jet engines for propulsion. Or even skip the cushion parts, as there will be no collision damage between constructs (if collision detection is precise enough to avoid glitches).

This is definitely a good concept. You are correct in that normal trains (wheels) would cause a great amount of lag to the PC, maglevs would be good for a replacement for that reason.

I can also see maglevs being used to make assembly lines. (conveyors)

1 hour ago, CalenLoki said:

But I'm afraid it may be a bit too complicated, at least in the first stages of development (alpha/beta/right after release).

Perhaps but I know that it can be done due to Meglev engines being added to Space Engineers by their modding community. Never the less it can't be harder than making contacting rails.

1 hour ago, CalenLoki said:

And you can make some basic version of it with hover engines/landing gear (to create cushion between constructs) and jet engines for propulsion. Or even skip the cushion parts, as there will be no collision damage between constructs (if collision detection is precise enough to avoid glitches).

There is a real world concept that similar to what you just suggested. Hovertrain's where a concept that was primarily developed in the 60's to 70's as a means to replace tracked trains as the traditional steel rails seemed to unable to meet the demand for higher speeds due to rolling resistance. To solve this, French and British engineers started using hovercraft engines to levitate the train from the track and as a result was also able to simplify the construction of new track as concrete was the only material needed. If anyone wants to develop this in DU here's a link to the Wikipedia page on Hovertrain's (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hovertrain).

I love this idea because it provides options and depth for players. This would give opportunities for players and organizations to spend an upfront amount of time, energy and resources in order to help automate or simplify a process or transportaton route in the long run.

Think of it like an investment with risks and rewards. The risks being that it concentrates a lot of resources in one place/needs to be defended, and the profits or benefits of a certain setup might not be worth the results.