Jump to content
Lord Gecko

Some questions about the game

Recommended Posts

What are your thoughts on improving object collision, physics and having mechanical/movable parts within constructs? Like making large custom hangar doors, elevators, lifting cranes etc. 
NQ-Sophon: There will be no collision physics between constructs, for gameplay reasons (no missile constructs). For hangar doors, we will introduce elements. Now, having subvoxel structures that move is a possibility, technically, but it is really low on the priority list. Maybe in an expansion at some point.

 

Here’s one tidbit I found.  I don’t think it’s the exact source you guys are thinking of though.  Will continue perusing.  This was from a transcript of an AMA

 

Edit:  also found this tidbit in the comments section.

 

“Collision damage is one of the most costly feature (calculation-wise) that can be imagined in a voxel-made environment. It is (at least for the moment), not compatible with a massively multiplayer, seamless environment. There are a few games where realistic collision damage system has been implemented. By making this choice, they sacrificed the possibility to have a massively multiplayer feature running smoothly. It was a tough choice, and on our side we opted for the other solution. We know it's not the best for game immersion, and we remain open to all suggestions that could be used as a workaround.”

 

I honestly don’t think their goal is to limit players, rather server instability is the issue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Hades said:

I honestly don’t think their goal is to limit players, rather server instability is the issue.

I don't think it's about limiting players so much as it is about providing a well thought-out, orthogonal set of tools for a balanced PvP sandbox gameplay experience.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the most effective way of winning a fight is just being able to afford to blow up you and your opponent's ships and then just buy a new one, then that's what most people will do.  Especially if they know they're out-skilled or out-gunned.

 

Removing the possibility sounds like the best solution to me.

 

Maybe there could be some kind of slight collision damage though.  Because it seems like none at all could be taken advantage of in strange ways we haven't thought of yet also.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

Maybe there could be some kind of slight collision damage though.  Because it seems like none at all could be taken advantage of in strange ways we haven't thought of yet also.  

Yeah maybe so. In that case, to avoid the costly per-voxel collision detection calculations, maybe there could be slight damage distributed across the entire construct or something. Just to encourage somewhat more realistic flight behavior and safe landings :P (not enough to be effective in combat).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah it wouldn't have to be super realistic.  Just some kind of deterrent for people using collision as breaks.

 

Ramming probably shouldn't be the most effective way of getting into weapons range either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No collision damage between dynamic constructs seems good for gameplay. But I'm a bit worried about how it will work together with lack of any structural integrity.

And I don't mean battleship getting stuck on thin antena - that could relatively easy to avoid by shooting it off.

I mean ship getting stuck at single voxel, one of many purposeful left floating around the base. Because AFAIK terrain voxels don't need any connection to the earth core to function.

 

So maybe very limited collision damage? Something like remove few (up to 100) voxels on each side at contact point, and apply large breaking force. Repeat no more often than 2 times per second. So it's not terribly useful as weapon, but at least can get rid of floating debris barrier.

 

Or simply make disconnected terrain dynamic, unless it contains X voxels.

 

BTW: "Voxel damage will come after the alpha" (3:00), right now it's shock-wave mechanics (so distance based) damaging only elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4&list=PLA_lhIAGheMGtAygniJs25JDsWgxbfk6V&index=3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

No collision damage between dynamic constructs seems good for gameplay. But I'm a bit worried about how it will work together with lack of any structural integrity.

And I don't mean battleship getting stuck on thin antena - that could relatively easy to avoid by shooting it off.

I mean ship getting stuck at single voxel, one of many purposeful left floating around the base. Because AFAIK terrain voxels don't need any connection to the earth core to function.

 

So maybe very limited collision damage? Something like remove few (up to 100) voxels on each side at contact point, and apply large breaking force. Repeat no more often than 2 times per second. So it's not terribly useful as weapon, but at least can get rid of floating debris barrier.

 

Or simply make disconnected terrain dynamic, unless it contains X voxels.

 

BTW: "Voxel damage will come after the alpha" (3:00), right now it's shock-wave mechanics (so distance based) damaging only elements.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Vrf50dZrv4&list=PLA_lhIAGheMGtAygniJs25JDsWgxbfk6V&index=3

 

That could definitely be a problem, if the only way to damage a voxel is with weapons, people could use a sort of minefield of single voxels as a barrier.   It would be frustrating to have to try to target and destroy a single tiny voxel because it's blocking your entire ship.

 

I guess there could be some kind of weapons that are specifically designed to clear a path for your ship.  I don't know.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haha yeah, but then you’re back to square one where you can just launch those specific weapons at a base as well, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Hades said:

Haha yeah, but then you’re back to square one where you can just launch those specific weapons at a base as well, right?

 

Yeah it would have to be a lot less effective in some way for it to work.  I was thinking something that only does a very small amount of damage spread out over a large area.

 

I guess alternatively maybe ship collision could cause a very very small amount of voxel damage, enough to destroy one or two stray voxels that might otherwise obstruct an entire ship.  But not enough damage to make it effective in any way as a weapon.

 

But that would add more stress to the servers I guess.

 

It is an interesting issue though.  I suppose the floating voxel cloud may become a viable ship design lol 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I suppose the floating voxel cloud may become a viable ship design lol 

And a viable base defense, kinda like anti-tank obstacles but for aircraft.

Imagine a whole territory air space littered with floating voxels in anticipation of an attack... oops!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see a problem with kamikaze attacks. It's a form of freedom and the defense is speed and agility plus building ships that blow up are going to use up resources.   Seems balanced to me.  Plus danage could make scavenging battlefield for parts viable.

 

I don't get the mindset of joining a sandbox and immediately seeking ways to limit it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Anopheles said:

I don't see a problem with kamikaze attacks. It's a form of freedom and the defense is speed and agility plus building ships that blow up are going to use up resources.   Seems balanced to me.  Plus danage could make scavenging battlefield for parts viable.

 

I don't get the mindset of joining a sandbox and immediately seeking ways to limit it.

That's a fair argument, however, NQ seems pretty adamant on the issue.  Which is fine imho, I'd much rather have larger constructs and more people in a location than collision damage.  This server tech is completely unprecedented, and some sacrifices have to be made.  Even though, it seems like NQ doesn't mind the sacrifice.. haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Anopheles said:

I don't see a problem with kamikaze attacks. It's a form of freedom and the defense is speed and agility plus building ships that blow up are going to use up resources.   Seems balanced to me.  Plus danage could make scavenging battlefield for parts viable.

Because this is a game, and everything have it limited not like in real life.

They have their point on that is, kamikaze bring furious  to the player. Given that you have one pretty ship which you take a long time to build by hand then in PvP a player just craft a bullet type ship and fly into your ship, kaboom, your ship which make with lot effort gone in a second while enemy ship is just take 10 minute to build. It make player RAGE QUIT which bring none profit to NQ. Who will endure it ? None.

And in game everything must be fair. If not, just only time left to ruin . ( i will give you what ruin it, grifer, troll who will kamikaze 10 minute ship into a 1 month ship )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×