Jump to content

Recommended Posts

18 hours ago, Kuritho said:

It is a self-balancing system.

You get a group of gankers that kill everyone.

Everyone kills and blacklists the gankers.

Normality resumed.

When has that ever worked. They don't mind getting hunted, killed, hated or outlawed, in fact they fully expect it. Pushing people's buttons is their M.O., that's exactly the way they like it. Sending bounty hunters after a troll won't stop them, only feed them. And mind you, you're the one paying the bounty.

 

Simple disincentives won't work either because it's just their way of having fun, it's all cost of doing business. Some people earn their wealth sothat they can spend it on building a stargate, others earn it sothat they can spend it on trolling. It's basically an emergent profession just like any other. If the opportunity exists, there will be people who grab it.

 

The only remedy for any kind of griefing or abuse is to find ways of making it effectively toothless to begin with, because that prevents it from dominating the landscape, becoming toxic and souring the experience of other players, and it takes the fun out of it for trolls. Also saves the NQ support team a buttload of complaints and ban requests.

 

@NQ-Nyzaltar (for the record)

supermega and RhysAnnwn like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Nanoman said:

When has that ever worked. They don't mind getting hunted, killed, hated or outlawed, in fact they fully expect it. Pushing people's buttons is their M.O., that's exactly the way they like it. Sending bounty hunters after a troll won't stop them, only feed them. And mind you, you're the one paying the bounty.

 

Simple disincentives won't work either because it's just their way of having fun, it's all cost of doing business. Some people earn their wealth sothat they can spend it on building a stargate, others earn it sothat they can spend it on trolling. It's basically an emergent profession just like any other. If the opportunity exists, there will be people who grab it.

 

The only remedy for any kind of griefing or abuse is to find ways of making it effectively toothless to begin with, because that prevents it from dominating the landscape, becoming toxic and souring the experience of other players, and it takes the fun out of it for trolls. Also saves the NQ support team a buttload of complaints and ban requests.

 

@NQ-Nyzaltar (for the record)

It has always worked. How do you think EVE exists and lives?

---

So what would you suggest? Taking out PvP? Ban PvPers?

 

The ultimate and best option is not to be braindead when it comes to evasion.

 

Lethys likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create system to enhance word of mouth/blacklists reach.

Make sure that creating alts to avoid punishment doesn't really work (levels?).

As a player, make sure to support those who hunt trolls (pay for protection).

And don't forget to be tough yourself, to filter out all weak unorganised trolls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Kuritho said:

It has always worked. How do you think EVE exists and lives?

---

 

 

To be honest, EVE is only still going because it went (sort of) free.  And the more recent reviews are far more scathing than when I was still playing about 5 years ago.

supermega likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RhysAnnwn said:

To be honest, EVE is only still going because it went (sort of) free.  And the more recent reviews are far more scathing than when I was still playing about 5 years ago.

But EVE had survived over the years, until the devs went a bit under.

To be honest, that statement is null.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, RhysAnnwn said:

Considering they went free to increase the playerbase, I'd say it stands.

Considering they would've still been relatively okay if they didn't, I'd say it is null.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/14/2018 at 3:02 AM, NanoDot said:

The moment you step out of the safezone, you will be "prone to getting ganked". Mining some valuable resource will simply increase that risk.

 

And dying means you lose your ship and everything in your inventory (except the cash in your wallet, which is always safe).

 

But there are no fixed "best resource areas" in DU. Resources will be spread all over the planets, moons and asteroids in the systems, and will have to be found and mined. And once a specific deposit is mined out, it doesn't respawn (ever), you have to find a new deposit somewhere else.

 

There are no specific places where the "best" resources can always be found. So it won't be possible for criminals to "camp the high value nodes", because that mechanic does not exist in DU. The outer planets in any system will most likely have the best chance for valuable resources, but the planets in DU are VERY large, searching an entire planet to find miners will take considerable amounts of time... and time is money in DU. Every minute you spend searching for targets costs fuel...

well As far As I have seen or as I know Those grounds are shaky at best but you may have more info than me pre alpha tester

 

On 4/15/2018 at 1:25 AM, erichconvair said:

Corpo like Goons will have a very fast reality checks for 2 reasons already mentioned heres and there : 

  • Finites  ressources that need time and skills to be found.
  • No overpowered aka scripted mining equipments whatsoever.
  • Manly operated ships (space and atmospheric) will need real crews to operate weaponries.
  • And some interesting basic mechanic not allowed to talk here that will make ganking really a challenge. 

In short building a fleet of catalyst will be extremely costly in time, ressources and men to operate. I won't even mention Capitals war-fleet..

 

Another side note, JC is/was an Eve player and knows very well how ganking could destroy an early game very  quickly.

 

 

thats all well and good but NDA will never put it to rest

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×