Can you (not pilot) move freely inside ships mid flight and craft, build as well?

Sorry for the poorly worded question! 

What I'm trying to find is how multiple people insides ships in flight interact with each other. For example; Say I flying a spaceship with an inside area and there are other guys in there too. Will they be able to move around freely during flight? And what can they do besides from what I understand; mounting turrets etc? Can they build stuff when in flight? And also can I myself be joining them, leaving the cockpit and going into the inner parts of the ship? The best comparison I can think of right now is something similar to the interstellar rift game, where someone is steering the ship while other move freely around and do various things instead of sitting locked in place. 

Thanks in advance!

9 minutes ago, Normandy7 said:

What I'm trying to find is how multiple people insides ships in flight interact with each other. For example; Say I flying a spaceship with an inside area and there are other guys in there too. Will they be able to move around freely during flight? And what can they do besides from what I understand; mounting turrets etc? Can they build stuff when in flight? And also can I myself be joining them, leaving the cockpit and going into the inner parts of the ship? The best comparison I can think of right now is something similar to the interstellar rift game, where someone is steering the ship while other move freely around and do various things instead of sitting locked in place. 

Thanks in advance!

This would defiantly make DU unique I think it should be a thing but The NDA may have to fall before we will know.

14 minutes ago, Normandy7 said:

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you can. While a ship is in motion people can move around freely inside of it and build and do various other ship related tasks. 

Here's an example of this (albeit a small example):

Well, I am used to being in a 'bubble', as they say, where the inside of a ship, including flyable hangar area is basically a server instance whose external 'body' can move around in space.

I imagine this makes relative movement within the construct much easier too - when piloting or manning guns you are sort of pasted statically in your seats onto the outside of the ship, as it were, but inside you have freedom of moment just like in any building on land.

I see no reason why constructs should not be stored in server memories pretty much as instances, even if they are only 'single instances' each. No idea on what NQ have done, except that you'd probably notice the 'seams' as your avatar crosses them. An entry sequence or airlock would disguise this....

5 hours ago, dualism said:

Well, I am used to being in a 'bubble', as they say, where the inside of a ship, including flyable hangar area is basically a server instance whose external 'body' can move around in space.

I imagine this makes relative movement within the construct much easier too - when piloting or manning guns you are sort of pasted statically in your seats onto the outside of the ship, as it were, but inside you have freedom of moment just like in any building on land.

I see no reason why constructs should not be stored in server memories pretty much as instances, even if they are only 'single instances' each. No idea on what NQ have done, except that you'd probably notice the 'seams' as your avatar crosses them. An entry sequence or airlock would disguise this....

Makes sense. Im impressed such a new company to the buisness can pull this kind of game off.

well, when you own a degree from 'polytechnique' in computer science and theorical physics, followed by a PhD in artificial Intelligence and Robotics helps a little...

Beside they don't have the PR and Marketing pressures from big companies that lead to crippled games more than often. 

On 4/15/2018 at 7:04 AM, dualism said:

Not entirely correct, there is no "barrier" you cross to enter a construct, rather the construct you are attached to is determined by raycasting from your character downwards. The first object that the ray hits determines what construct you are attached to. That's a simplistic way of looking at it, but you can see it illustrated in the video I posted above. 

With that, the engine can determine what frame of reference your character should have relative to the construct that it is attached to.

Technically everything in the game is a type of construct, from planets to asteroids to ships, they just operate differently (i.e. you can't move an asteroid by pushing it through space). 

17 hours ago, yamamushi said:

Not entirely correct, there is no "barrier" you cross ...

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I actually meant if instanced - but I don't know what NQ is doing for the insides of things.

Both approaches provide a frame of reference, so you can move freely, but there is a difference of how much of a vehicle needs to be moved around the voxelsphere database (outside visual shell, or the whole thing).

It is, of course, neater if you can look into/out of windows and see what is going on directly because the database says that IS what is there, instead of it being some kind of projection screen to somewhere else in stored memory...

If you and the OP don't mind looking in more detail, will spaceship size actually be limited to 128m or whatever precisely because each detectable movement will move the whole bloody thing for all frames of reference? Would NQ even consider 'encapsulating' environments such as big ships, so that they can be moved as "hollow hulls" for the outside frame of reference, but be nicely filled in ones (with the outside world blank or remotely videoscreened) for those inside?

Thanks again for that - and the links :) . Ok, so I guess I did 'know' that about NQ, but maybe I hadn't taken it fully 'on board' that all the complexity of all the ships will be moved iteration by iteration across the galaxies!!!

I wonder if there will be any lag if a local farmer looks up and says: "That's a mighty fine datastream coming our way." ...

4 hours ago, dualism said:

If you and the OP don't mind looking in more detail, will spaceship size actually be limited to 128m or whatever precisely because each detectable movement will move the whole bloody thing for all frames of reference? 

No 128 is not a hard limit, they plan on adding bigger cores later :-)