Space telescopes

Orius

Space telescopes. They could possibly be used in game to survey planets for a base. They could also be used to survey a planets atmospheric composition to determine if it is worth settling that particular planet or not. Space telescopes could be used to generate wonderful pictures of the cosmos and make star maps. They could also be used to gather information on stars, see their possibility for planetary bodies to exist there or not. Space telescopes. A wonderful device for a wonderful game. 

I actually like that idea. Use them to survey the sky to get positional data about new planets.

Planet bound telescopes could be easier to build, but only yield ridimentary data about those planets like type, radius and possible moons.

Spacebound telescopes could yield way more infos like the whole solar system, asteroids, possible resources and much more.

Also ppl could use ingame skills to enhance the telescope or speed up the process, or a guy with certain skills could also solve a minipuzzle/minigame to find new planets.

:+1: for that idea, it could really be a good an emergent way for surveying the sky

Frankly i rather have something like satellites then, or deep space probes with a special UI tab so you can open the report page or something. That way people on the planet also have the possibility to take out that satellite if its not so defended.

So as alternative suggestion i would propose satellites destroy-able with a ui interface

Think more generic: an element that can DU deep space scanning. It's bulky and expensive so it makes sense to put it in ground based observatories or space stations. And eventually form a part of deep space exploration ships.

+1 on the idea.

1 hour ago, Aaron Cain said:

That way people on the planet also have the possibility to take out that satellite if its not so defended.

same thing is possible with earth/space bound telescopes. Don't see the difference honestly. Hubble IS a satellite for example....

32 minutes ago, Lethys said:

same thing is possible with earth/space bound telescopes. Don't see the difference honestly. Hubble IS a satellite for example....

You have a point, i somehow had the idea this was base or ship bound and not something you can launch. 

Good idea.