vylqun

Realistic incentives for City building

Low price, what is better on earth now. I would like to go buying at a place got stuff with low price. Then many people will come to buy. Demand and Supply. The price will go high so do attract many seller and the buyer keep growth.

You see Central market isnt something that if want it will be there. It accumulate many thing before everyone else realize it turn into something important to the economic.

Governments and cities were formed for the sake of survival.

First and foremost, to provide for the common defense. Secondly, for economic reasons, particularly agriculture, as it allowed our societies to focus on things other than hunting and gathering, and later, it gave us a large concentration of jobs and ways to make a living.

So long as there is a present and real danger from outside forces, and a real economic need for players to be in cities, they will form.

The key word here is real. Artificial incentives likely won’t work, and making bases too easy to defend will diminish the incentive to congregate.

8 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

The biggest danger force i think is PIRACE, worse than grifer.

Exactly, and it needs to be there to balance risk/reward, which will cause many players to build together.

30 minutes ago, ShioriStein said:

The biggest danger force i think is PIRACE, worse than grifer.

You can at least try to bribe pirate, promise him periodic payment for "protection". Unless he's dumb, he's aware that attacking your base will make you move somewhere else, pay for bounty, support forces hunting pirates, ect.

It won't work against griefer - he's madman who just want to destroy.

1 hour ago, Snipester said:

Governments and cities were formed for the sake of survival.

First and foremost, to provide for the common defense. Secondly, for economic reasons, particularly agriculture, as it allowed our societies to focus on things other than hunting and gathering, and later, it gave us a large concentration of jobs and ways to make a living.

So long as there is a present and real danger from outside forces, and a real economic need for players to be in cities, they will form.

The key word here is real. Artificial incentives likely won’t work, and making bases too easy to defend will diminish the incentive to congregate.

Agriculture works better with small, spread settlements. It require way too much space to function in towns.
Development of agriculture was one of requirements for towns to exist, due to efficiency. But not reason for them, nor their function.

Trade and craft - those were the main functions of first towns. Then defence needed to protect trade and craft. Then more trade and craft to supply defence. Then even more defence.

1 hour ago, CalenLoki said:

You can at least try to bribe pirate, promise him periodic payment for "protection". Unless he's dumb, he's aware that attacking your base will make you move somewhere else, pay for bounty, support forces hunting pirates, ect.

It won't work against griefer - he's madman who just want to destroy.

But griefer isnt many, isnt too strong, just minor. With good way you can defend against griefer even they use try hard method.

About pirate, they are dangerous because if their demand be satisfies, they will try to demand for more to the point you arent enough and then to realiza you have work like a dog for them all the time. But also pirate got organize well, so they usually a group or a big group and very dangerous because they are not minor and they working as a team which griefer didnt usually do.

But ... a large group of griefer stay together to troll, destroy other is a REAL threat....

I can imagine the cities being useful for jobs and such. Players would be attracted to the cities if they didnt want to do something big, like an organization, for solo players it would be much easier to start a small buisness (AKA a bar/shop/restraunt) This is also good because it would propogate more economics. If possible i think it'd be cool for players to buy homes from other players, so people pay for the crazy detailed and complex building that they wouldn't be able to build, maybe due to lack of skill. I love the concept of a bustling city that isnt just there for looks. And the city having requirements would provide more contracts for people. I can imagine the worker in the electrical plant causing a city wide overload and then blackout. :lol:

Ben Fargo likes this

8 hours ago, Anotaros said:

I can imagine the worker in the electrical plant causing a city wide overload and then blackout. :lol:

you can add endless grind thats obly inportant to the player himself to the game, but its definitely impossible to add long time, grindy, jobs like those to the game if other players depend on them. 

Boring work is only feasable if you cant live without it, this sense of urgency is impossible in a game. And i dont talk about the few instances of hardcore rp here.

AzureSkye likes this