How do you plan your ships?

DarkNovation

I am a bit curios on how everyone plans their ships before they build them(if they do). For example I use 3d modelling tool called blender to create rough models of zed ships then  take the designs over to games like space engineers. Then when it comes to building larger industrial warships and hauler type ships  I go straight into building all the internals then build the shell around the outside of the ship.

I make a block.

I put engine in block.

Timey wimey space magic occurs.

I put gun on block.

I fly block.

More timey wimey space magic occurs.

Profit.

On a more serious note, the only time I did any ship building to the extent that DU will have was in Shores of Hazeron. Used their offline designer to make the shell, then went in game and imported it, then slapped on the internals. We'll have something similar in DU with their virtual sim for building everything, so I imagine I'll just take the same steps.

Plan...?  :huh:

In Space Engineers I've never had more then a vague idea of what I wanted to build before I build it, this has resulted in... mixed levels of success. But I kinda work that way, once I've got a base model that works I tend to reproduce that one with modifications depending on what I need it to be.

However, building giant capital ships/stations with lots of people will probably require a more focused vision (or not, that could produce something interesting too!) and I'm hoping there is an in game option for planning purposes to do just that. Something akin to creative mode, I believe the devs mentioned this as a possibility but I could be wrong.

Plan...?  :huh:

In Space Engineers I've never had more then a vague idea of what I wanted to build before I build it, this has resulted in... mixed levels of success. But I kinda work that way, once I've got a base model that works I tend to reproduce that one with modifications depending on what I need it to be.

However, building giant capital ships/stations with lots of people will probably require a more focused vision (or not, that could produce something interesting too!) and I'm hoping there is an in game option for planning purposes to do just that. Something akin to creative mode, I believe the devs mentioned this as a possibility but I could be wrong.

Yes, they have stated there will be a virtual simulator you can go in to in-game to design buildings/ships in relative safety, and without expending any resources. Save the design, then build it in the real game from there. :)

A little unrelated to the topic, but one of the upcoming videos is supposed to cover how to build a minimalistic spaceship from scratch.

From the newsletter:

This is just the beginning! We will release several more other videos during the month of August: one about the massively multiplayer single-shard technology, one about the voxel mechanics and one, more gameplay-oriented, where we will show you how to build a minimalistic spaceship from scratch (with a few surprises about the voxel tools!).

"I start with a series of sketches on paper, then I'd probably draw it in orthographic projections (if I have the time). Finally, I use blender to build it."

First I pick a role for what I want to design, then I look at concept art from the game to see if there is any useful information to be gleaned. Then I decide on what class (size) of ship that would be fun to think about fulfilling chosen role. Bust out the pencil and paper, pick aesthetic for hull, draw, at least two angles very rough interior overlay showing potentially where you want things to go. Speculate about the thrust capacity of titan-class engine elements. Add in cool features, while hoping that the elements required will be actual things in game. Refresh the Dual Universe youtube page, twitter, and devblog, and forums out of hope. Speculate some more. Wildy speculate otherwise known as day dream. Come back to reality. Use the blank space on the paper to define how you want your, mighty starship/meek unassuming freighter/mech battle suit/magical unicorn merry go round, to move and why, add appropriate elements.  Then huzzah! It's a thing potentially capable of coming to life(ish) in DU. But I am sure there is more I could do...

For Objective Driveyards ships I sketch them out on paper first, roughly planning out turret and thruster placements while trying to make the overall design look decent. I then decide which role it fits into best and from there I just transfer the sketch on to a template I made with Gimp. As the various elements and their relative size become more clear over the next few months, I might start planning the designs a little more accurately to what will be possible in game.

I haven't learned 3D modeling though, might just have to wait till the game comes out for that.

A little unrelated to the topic, but one of the upcoming videos is supposed to cover how to build a minimalistic spaceship from scratch.

From the newsletter:

This is just the beginning! We will release several more other videos during the month of August: one about the massively multiplayer single-shard technology, one about the voxel mechanics and one, more gameplay-oriented, where we will show you how to build a minimalistic spaceship from scratch (with a few surprises about the voxel tools!).

Where's that one!!!

Vodka and Duct tape. 

But I don't know yet - I've got a few concepts that I've sketched out, but would depend on how the game handles building, and whether you would be able to pre-view something or get 100% of resource back if you 'delete' it. 

I have a few hull designs from games i have played (second life, space engineers)  that I've been wanting to build and see how they do in DU. So primarily idea first, build up the hull, then try and fit in the necessities. my ships I will be building are 1. SS RAM (luxury yacht), 2. CWC Wolverine (Special ops), 3. CWC Amazon (SUV (space utility vehicle)) the SS Ram is my Mobile Home. I will look at building a base on a planet to house all my ships.

1. Buy a load of lego blocks.

2. Give them to a kid and tell them to build a spaceship.

3. Copy design.

Seriously lol, Google 'lego spaceships' images for some easy to replicate blocky designs.

I have built quite a few ships in other games and I usually start with placing all usable machinery, weapons and other things on a platform to take account of sizes, decide what needs to be incorporated etc. Then I play a bit of tetris to pack those necessary things into not that big volume and I finally wrap some hull around it.