Starting classes

TheLongWorm

When new player join later in the game i see a Little problem with the Spawning system, other players how are a head in the skill tree will make new players how try to start from nothing Useless. I think it would be a Good Idea when Players could take a Class they Like and get a Little adv in this specific area(Items, ahead in the skill tree or just some free blueprints), so much that they are at least not useless in the beginning. This would give a players some orientation how this function works and give something with which they could start. 

there will be no classes in DU and imho that would not be a good idea, for several reasons:

- newbros aren't useless because everyone can do (nearly) everything right from the start. More skills only mean that this player is more efficient

- it's a sandbox game so you can do whatever you want in DU. This also means that classes are useless: you may start out as a miner but may continue to play as a bounty hunter.

- newbros should get a good impression of the game via a short and very basic, but well made tutorial to learn the ropes and to get a glimpse of what you're able to do in DU. As this is a MMO and a social game, it's up to the players themselves to welcome the new player and introduce him to the game and how to do stuff.

you mean snowflakes?

Well the idea is not bad but might need some adjustments and be there for all, including day one people. 

It would not be bad if the tutorials give a small reward for watching, not enough to lets say build a ship and fly off into space. But maybe enough to be able to build sort of provisionary atmos transport, or a general simple full crafted blueprint so All users could use that after doing the tutorials. This would make the start area less crowded as everyone can, if they want to, spread out abit easier around the planet. Nothing fancy or forever durable but just a small dynamic construct to get everyone on the move.

Thoughts about that?

I dont think your idea is good Aaron.

First in DU we dont have quest remember ? If give reward for tutorial isnt it will go against NQ vision (and part of player vision ).

If i finish the tutorial and get a atmos ship i think there will be some people will use it to troll, griefing other. About blueprint isnt it should be something you create from trial and error ? If it too easy to create a blueprint from just tutorial i think some people will spam delete/create character to get the best blueprint out of it without cost a coin.

About crowd, dont you link crowd :). I think if new guy spawn and stay at the spawn to get used with the game is a good choice. Other org who need more man power to increase their strength ( like need more miner, builder, repairer ,... ) so they can easy to open an outpost near spawn to get new guy.

I know you have a point, comments were more into what i think would make this idea fair to all players and to eliminate the class idea. But to think about it, If the Arc ship sent out people to go and be creative they probably would give them starter packs or provisions, like in the real world. No Government/ Company would sent off their personal without any provisions into the wild. So Considering Lore it would be logical if small packages would be delivered at start something like a small craft unit, tent portable light, small firearm, some medical supply. Just enough to make it through day one. 

But you get all those necessary tools. They are combined into nanoformer and your advanced suit.

It feeds you, it let's you run for hours, jump high, sleep anywhere, possibly damage stuff, probably heal/regenerate HP, construct advanced tools.

You can probably use most tools without levelling.

You don't need to punch trees for logs when you start or loose everything.

IMO giving anything that can be given, looted or sold to new players will just encourage creating and deleting characters.

No

Also, new players should not get extra because experienced players are ahead in any case, ever. This defeats the need to progress for veterans.

We should leave the carebearing to corporations. They know very well the importance of educating new players and get them up to speed. It keeps the game alive and appeals to the sandbox civ building nature of the game.

I disagree. I think new players should get money(and only money) to control inflation and deflation. If money wasnt added to thr economy, the value of it would skyrocket due to the fact that there is less currency to go around.

7 hours ago, 0something0 said:

I disagree. I think new players should get money(and only money) to control inflation and deflation. If money wasnt added to thr economy, the value of it would skyrocket due to the fact that there is less currency to go around.

Amount of money on the market will be controlled by market bots (who will buy/sell player goods to add/remove quanta from the market).

I'm quite sure the "new player experience" will need to be adjusted over time, but exactly how and when is anyone's guess.

Trying to predict what DU's game play will look like 3 years from now is an impossible task, we don't even know what the game play will look like at launch, lol