Question on losing inventory upon death

Caldakar

Hi there

My apologizes if this has been asked. I could not find it having been asked. I read that when you die you 'loose inventory, ships, etc ' and revive at resurrection node (RN).   Does losing inventory mean losing it all ? is there any way to secure a portion of it from being lost including blue prints ? I  do not like the idea of having all my hard earned work being taken at the drop of a hat.  I am also worried that this will become a mecca for griefers. Why harvest anything when you can take it all from your victim?

Blue prints you’ve made are always saved.  I can’t remember if a blueprint you buy is lumped into the same category.  Quanta (the currency of DU) is also saved on death.

The system is EXTREMELY forgiving imho.

You lose/drop what you carry with you when you get killed in game. Ganking will be much less of an issues in DU as in other games IMO as it requires effort and holds more risk, two things gankers in generally tend to avoid. There have been a number of threads on this and I suggest you go through them.

HaHa yea if it works like in most games that have that feature NOT COOL the only good way to guard against it is not to carry a lot of items on you = many trips to your base or a bank to store items !  

You keep quanta, DAC (?), your blueprint library.

You drop all the physical items, including all blueprint items (those that can be sold and used in factories)

IMO that's the most logical system. Want to use best weapon? Be ready to loose it.

The way the res nodes work is it takes you from the time you died and puts you in a very similar dimension, this is the lore. What this means in practice is that you lose inventory at random, not all of it and no way to really know what you will lose. Best way to look at is is you Die in Uni A and come back in Uni B, but in Uni B you didnt pick up a certain rock, welp now you dont have that rock upon getting to res node 

English (deepl used)

But in the other universe I may be rich and have much more than in the universe where I died.

German (original)

Aber in dem anderen Universum bin ich vielleicht reich und habe viel mehr als in dem Universum wo ich gestorben bin.

Die Waldfee

It's based on quantum mechanics. so you are going to the universe that is most similar where you almost died but lived instead. So you will never be richer lol. Jokingly you can look at it as what ever items you lost were what caused your death. There is an alternate reality for every possible outcome, therefore an infinite number of universes.

19 minutes ago, huschhusch said:

So you only lose the cause of death?

It was just a silly example of Quantum Mechanics mainly. It was just meant to illustrate the the random nature of it. We may learn more later but right now they only refer to quantum mechanics in the older blogs.

3 hours ago, Lethys said:

DACs are still debated. It makes more sense if you can lose them while you can use them safely. Even though some here don't think about the consequences if they're not lootable

IMO DAC is like any other commodity. If you want to keep any with you while you travel and get killed, what you carry on you can drop. I do like the way EVE deals with this, having a kind of a bank system where your DAC are kept safe while being accessible from anywhere if needed.

This is just my opinion, but I think DACs should be considered something players exchange.  They should be attached to a player's account, never appear in a character's inventory and so not be lost if the character dies.  To me, they just do not make sense as something a character would own.

4 hours ago, Ben Fargo said:

This is just my opinion, but I think DACs should be considered something players exchange.  They should be attached to a player's account, never appear in a character's inventory and so not be lost if the character dies.  To me, they just do not make sense as something a character would own.

100% DAC should NOT be a loot able item and account based but able to trade on the market or on contracts which I think NQ has probably  already thought about . Its strange to me that people want a way to steal other people subscription money?

Loot drops : I die and someone takes my loot ok not happy no problem I will just carry less items but someone stealing my DAC that I paid for with real money for my account well that's BS!  Griefers Game Alert :  Not only do you get ganked and items taken your DAC for subscription can also be stolen : insult to injury ! Yea I can see someone bragging that they don't have to pay for a subscription for 10 years due to all the new people they robbed for DAC. Do you think that would be great for the community and for the game?

@GunDeva

It happens daily in EVE, people just are BadnDumb and fly their PLEX around.. Frankly, if you do not inform yourself you only have yourself to blame..

Before the changes to PLEX, you could redeem one anywhere but then not put it back to fly to a station where you could sell it for ISK so people would fly around with them (back then, 1 PlEX was little over 1Billion ISK and worth $20). Now there is a PLEX vault which is accessible anywhere. You can put PLEX in when docked at station X, fly to station Y and take it out again.. This works really well and I'd hope NQ implement a similar system in DU. 

Now, if you choose to fly around with PLEX in cargo and you get blown up, it's your own  fault really. Frankly these days I just fly around in NULL doing exploration and carry 1 PLEX just for fun.. it's only 3M ISK so can't really care much..

1 hour ago, GunDeva said:

100% DAC should NOT be a loot able item and account based but able to trade on the market or on contracts which I think NQ has probably  already thought about . Its strange to me that people want a way to steal other people subscription money?

Loot drops : I die and someone takes my loot ok not happy no problem I will just carry less items but someone stealing my DAC that I paid for with real money for my account well that's BS!  Griefers Game Alert :  Not only do you get ganked and items taken your DAC for subscription can also be stolen : insult to injury ! Yea I can see someone bragging that they don't have to pay for a subscription for 10 years due to all the new people they robbed for DAC. Do you think that would be great for the community and for the game?

You certainly didn't get the point there and haven't thought about what would happen

1) DACs should ALWAYS be safe to USE. So if you have RL money but don't have time to grind (and earn quanta) then you go to a safezone, buy a DAC with RL money and sell it there for quanta. No one can rob you of quanta so you're safe. If you're the buyer there then you are in a safezone and therefor can USE the DAC instantly after you bought it with quanta. So the usage of DACs is always 100% safe (and should be).

2) If DACs are lootable then ppl will naturally buy and sell them in safezones. People living far away and in UA will have to rely on their friends for DACs there - or on daring traders who take the risk to sell them DACs. A trader can buy low in a safezone (for quanta!) and try to get to another planet to sell high (for quanta!) - risk vs. reward.

3) DACs will most likely rise in price constantly for the first months/years (as seen in eve). This is due to many factors which I won't explain here, but it's very very very unlikely they will fall or be stagnant in price. If DACs are unlootable then ppl can stockpile them forever and kill the market years later by dropping hundreds of DACs to the market. They not only kill the DAC market with that, but also suddenly get millions/billions/trillions (whatever quanta are worth) quanta and can do harm to many other areas of a market with such behavior. You can do that in the safezone too (hoard DAC) but NQ could easily terminate that.

So I don't really get why people want DACs to be unlootable - it only adds gameplay, risk, reward and good stories to the game if they can be looted

20 minutes ago, Lethys said:

So I don't really get why people want DACs to be unlootable - it only adds gameplay, risk, reward and good stories to the game if they can be looted

Me neither. If its ensuring gametime you want just get a normal subscription. If you want to buy a DAC or sell one to get advantages ingame it should naturally come with the risk of being lootable, play smart and you wont find that an issue anyways.

When you die in DU you lose your inventory (half disappears and half is lootable) but keep your quanta and your master blueprints. (At least that was the original plan from NQ)

Lootablilty of DACs is a sticky topic. Originally NQ said they would *not* be lootable and there was a loud disproportional stink about it. So this has been discussed before...at length. You can wade though that topic here:

A point that was raised is that someone paid real money for the DAC and then it got stolen. Let's repeat that: A player paid for something and got no return for it. NQ is ethically and morally bound not to allow that. And no, crying "git good noob" does not somehow make that OK.

Solutions

The EvE system to bank PLEX is one solution but will take precious dev time. Another that was suggested is that DACs are unlootable until they are sold for the first time. The effect of this is that hoarding in-game bought DACs carry an inherent risk which I have no issue with. A player can pop them immediately for time or accept the risk of keeping them.

34 minutes ago, Kurock said:

Another that was suggested is that DACs are unlootable until they are sold for the first time. The effect of this is that hoarding in-game bought DACs carry an inherent risk which I have no issue with. A player can pop them immediately for time or accept the risk of keeping them.

This would be the best course of action.

I'm a firm believer that it's fair to allow an element of risk for the ones that are willing to take that chance.

Lootable after first time trade is the best solution for DAC if put it into consider to balance between risk vs reward and morality.