Feature Idea: "Television" Networks

BlockStar

Allow screens to be receivers by subscribing to Subspace data channels and allow users/factions to broadcast their content on a channel.  The implementation would require a Broadcast element which could be an extended screen or maybe a new comms element that would accept an input link from a normal screen and just add the channel ID bits. The receiver would just be a screen with a channel_id (subscribe) feature addition. The existing content definition system is already more than adequate.

This would enhance economy and advertising gameplay and just general RP value. Organizations could use this to post recruiting, contracts, security notices, for-sale notices etc,etc from far away locations.  Of course they would have to convince owners of high-visibility facilities to show their channel... new gameplay in and of itself!

Big screens playing real video in game would probably be bit difficult / lag inducing, but I do like the idea of having in game media. Something organizations could do, not just posting on forums but preferably in-game. Maybe there could be some simpler mechanism where rather than seeing videos on screens you walk by, it would be possible to "look at" the screen and then have a video played to individual player. At the simplest it could be Youtube link that opens pop up window over the game to play the video. Then have static image or just text title visible on the screen walking by.

I do hope there is possibility add at least proper pictures on the screens, perhaps within some limitations concerning image size/detail.

This is definitely a good idea, and to prevent lag you could have the video be client side. Example the players in question would have to go into a building and accept a request when near the screen to receive the audio/video. This would mean that You cant hear any of it from a distance, or even if you are right behind a wall to it, but if you are in the same room, you can enable it.

No I think television networks are a far better idea than newspapers, though I would love to see both in game. I seem to faintly recall that video broadcast was already a planned if not implemented feature.

I think it's not exactly known whether video will be supported on the in game screens yet.  Plus NDA and all.

But it would be really cool if someone curated some kind of news feed.

Even if it had to be more of a slideshow of current events.  Like the front page of a news site.

People could subscribe to it simply by linking to it with html on their own screens.  And if it was popular enough people might even be willing to pay to advertise on it.

6 minutes ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I think it's not exactly known whether video will be supported on the in game screens yet.  Plus NDA and all.

But it would be really cool if someone curated some kind of news feed.

Even if it had to be more of a slideshow of current events.  Like the front page of a news site.

People could subscribe to it simply by linking to it with html on their own screens.  And if it was popular enough people might even be willing to pay to advertise on it.

Ikr, or like some kind of monthly news broadcast ;) *cough*

Well it wouldnt be too hard to do it. If they implement broadcasting through the LUA (as mentioned in messaging with lua) someone is bound to sit down and figure out a way to transmit images, and even transmit moving images. At which point you will have TV. And i can imagine waking up one morning on alioth and getting on my PC, and logging into the player made OS, and then seeing that being broadcasted. Awesome idea.^_^

In games like Second Life their TV's worked by putting the URL of a youtube clip into the tv's playlist script to have the video streamed to the client. Relatively 'simple' to do, no need for DU servers to be involved. However this wouldnt strictly be a broadcast as it wouldnt automatically pickup on anything new.

• 3 weeks later...

I dunno about you guys, But I'm already dreaming of a communal sports and or E-event Club!!! Patrons of said club can pay a nominal entrance fee and owners of said establishments can play Pay-per-view and/or Free view footage of events!

But maybe that's just lil' ol' me. :P

+1 for Streaming capabilities so long as it doesn't bog the heck down out of the servers!

On 8-4-2018 at 8:28 PM, BlockStar said:

Allow screens to be receivers by subscribing to Subspace data channels and allow users/factions to broadcast their content on a channel.  The implementation would require a Broadcast element which could be an extended screen or maybe a new comms element that would accept an input link from a normal screen and just add the channel ID bits. The receiver would just be a screen with a channel_id (subscribe) feature addition. The existing content definition system is already more than adequate.

This would enhance economy and advertising gameplay and just general RP value. Organizations could use this to post recruiting, contracts, security notices, for-sale notices etc,etc from far away locations.  Of course they would have to convince owners of high-visibility facilities to show their channel... new gameplay in and of itself!

I'd leave all that up to api/scripting support for out of game stuff. Third party apps, community integrations, etc. It's a hell of a lot of resource allocation for something which in games tends to give very little actual pull factors. 

Maybe it's me, but these thinks tend to be in-game currency sinks where there's general markets. I've never seen it produce meaningful actual added gameplay for longer than what it takes to transition for starter experience to organisation member. At that point things do become of importance, but they're out of game mechanisms.