City Building Standards

Snipester

Hi all,

Since there is now a city building event involving many unaffiliated players, I think it’s a perfect time to have this discussion.

Players are going to have all sorts of different structures and ships. At the same time, trade will be a vitally important component of the game, which will, in many ways, depend on infrastructure. Not only does that mean roads for hover vessels, but even landing pads and docking/loading stations for flying vehicles at market units and spaceports.

In order to optimally facilitate trade between players, I think it would be very beneficial for a set of standards to be agreed upon between many of the organizations in DU.

For example, we might say that road lanes should be x meters wide. Small landing pads should be x by y meters, medium landing pads should be x+5 by y+5 meters, etc. This would make it easier for players and orgs to design ships that can be more widely used across the universe. It would also help city planners and builders have a set of values to build around, and help organizations optimize access to their market units.

Obviously this would be impossible to enforce; that being said, I think it would be in the best interest of any organization to establish and follow such standards. It will take time to discuss, but I figured I might as well get the conversation going.

Thoughts?

Won't work, ppl won't follow it. 

It's up to the Administration of a city/Hub/spaceport to regulate and enforce these things.

While i understand why ppl would want this, I'm against such a thing for one simple reason: diversity. Where's the fun in travelling to different cities when every city looks similar - even If it's only the design of roads or landing pads

26 minutes ago, Lethys said:

It's up to the Administration of a city/Hub/spaceport to regulate and enforce these things.

While i understand why ppl would want this, I'm against such a thing for one simple reason: diversity. Where's the fun in travelling to different cities when every city looks similar - even If it's only the design of roads or landing pads

I don’t necessarily think it won’t work. I think it would be difficult, but I do think it’s possible. If you can get most or all of the larger organizations on board (which would be to their benefit), many others would likely follow suit.

I sort of see your point here, but I don’t see that as much of an issue. I have no doubt people would come up with creative ways to make tunnels, patterns, lighting, sidewalks, dividers, etc. to give their cities a unique feel. 

English (deepl used)

Hello Snipester,
NQ has already set the standards dyn16, dyn32, dyn64 and dyn128. The numbers indicate the meters (minus 25cm) in the three dimensions.
So the hangars should be big enough to accommodate any ship in this class.

German (original)

Hallo Snipester,

NQ hat die Standards schon gesetzt dyn16, dyn32, dyn64 und dyn128. Die Zahlen geben die Meter (minus 25cm) in den drei Dimensionen an.
Also sollte die Hangars so groß sein das jedes Schiff dieser Klasse hinein passt.

Die Waldfee

1 hour ago, Kuritho said:

Easiest way to do it: Build whatever the hell you want.

Hardest way to do it: Hang those who disobey the Ten Building Code Commandments.

10? I thought there were only 8? Crap, I am already in trouble! :o

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/6/2018 at 1:34 PM, Snipester said:

Hi all,

Since there is now a city building event involving many unaffiliated players, I think it’s a perfect time to have this discussion.

Players are going to have all sorts of different structures and ships. At the same time, trade will be a vitally important component of the game, which will, in many ways, depend on infrastructure. Not only does that mean roads for hover vessels, but even landing pads and docking/loading stations for flying vehicles at market units and spaceports.

In order to optimally facilitate trade between players, I think it would be very beneficial for a set of standards to be agreed upon between many of the organizations in DU.

For example, we might say that road lanes should be x meters wide. Small landing pads should be x by y meters, medium landing pads should be x+5 by y+5 meters, etc. This would make it easier for players and orgs to design ships that can be more widely used across the universe. It would also help city planners and builders have a set of values to build around, and help organizations optimize access to their market units.

Obviously this would be impossible to enforce; that being said, I think it would be in the best interest of any organization to establish and follow such standards. It will take time to discuss, but I figured I might as well get the conversation going.

Thoughts?

May Luck be with you I can guarantee 80% of the pop from DU will not care about such things

On 4/6/2018 at 1:42 PM, Lethys said:

Pretty much

On 4/6/2018 at 2:08 PM, Snipester said:

I don’t necessarily think it won’t work. I think it would be difficult, but I do think it’s possible. If you can get most or all of the larger organizations on board (which would be to their benefit), many others would likely follow suit.

I sort of see your point here, but I don’t see that as much of an issue. I have no doubt people would come up with creative ways to make tunnels, patterns, lighting, sidewalks, dividers, etc. to give their cities a unique feel. 

How would this benefit them?