Next build: Scanning, Mining and Markets

Kurock

https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/2018/04/06/new-build-preview/

Big features like scanning, mining, markets and money are coming along with some changes for engines (vboosters may have been a tad overwhelming). This tells me NQ have been very busy behind the scenes this year :)

What are your thoughts on the next build?

2 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

SO Alpha is near now, a few weeks. Cant wait to see people STREAM in game.

I doubt this will be the Alpha release, possibly the one after that but not this one.If the dev team keeps momentum going, maybe in 3 months time which would align nicely with the announced updated road map expected to arrive the beginning of summer 

24 minutes ago, blazemonger said:

I doubt this will be the Alpha release, possibly the one after that but not this one.If the dev team keeps momentum going, maybe in 3 months time which would align nicely with the announced updated road map expected to arrive the beginning of summer 

Sad true, my hype have end at that. After they say : "NEW BUILD FOR PRe-ALPHa" and " EVERYTHING NOT BE WIPED WITH THIS BUILD UNTIL ALPHa",

And this new build will be add with estimate date is may which maybe will be delay. So Alpha is again nowhere to see. It will not come atleast is July.

Take it as good news: Performance must be fairly good to be going for more features.

But take it as another cycle: New features are in their infancy and need a lot of testing.

It sounds good that the economy and creating and distribution of resources and maybe later crafting are all integrating into the game before alpha.

I'm very happy to hang on until then and the game hits alpha and the nda lifts and a lot more eyes see a good state of DU (it will be).

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely am excited to scan a planet and detect all the things and the stuff on it (not minerals, as that has its own system) but i can easily imagine scanning a planet for a base and detecting some bases, but not the one you are looking for because it has some form of protections

1 hour ago, Anotaros said:

I definitely am excited to scan a planet and detect all the things and the stuff on it (not minerals, as that has its own system) but i can easily imagine scanning a planet for a base and detecting some bases, but not the one you are looking for because it has some form of protections

I hope we do get long range scanners eventually, however the scanning most likely implemented now is the personal, very short range type of scanning to find resources as shown in this dev blog:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2016/11/04/scanning-mining/

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2018 at 9:07 PM, xxTalizorahxx said:

im curious as how to access these markets to sell things. Will i need to fly back to the main planet to sell stuff?  I hope not.

Anyone can build his own market, so they'll be spread all around the universe

Keep in mind that when they bring new features into the pre-alpha that these new features must be tested and balanced first before they can go from there! And that requires time!

So adjust Your expectations about a possible alpha1-release date accordingly!

NQ burned their fingers badly with the original estimate for the start of alpha.

I'm sure they're going to do everything in their power to avoid a repetition of that scenario. DU turned out to be a bit more complicated to put together than anyone thought, including NQ. It's no biggie, the game is very ambitious and delays are inevitable.

That's why they've completely avoided talking about the start date for alpha1 so far. I'd be surprised if the coming roadmap has any dates at all. It will probably be a "planned sequence of events", rather than pinning things to specific quarters of the year.

That's why I don't consider this next patch to be an indication that alpha1 is "imminent". Unless you think that "imminent" covers the next 6 months to a year...

4 hours ago, NanoDot said:

NQ burned their fingers badly with the original estimate for the start of alpha.

I'm sure they're going to do everything in their power to avoid a repetition of that scenario. DU turned out to be a bit more complicated to put together than anyone thought, including NQ. It's no biggie, the game is very ambitious and delays are inevitable.

That's why they've completely avoided talking about the start date for alpha1 so far. I'd be surprised if the coming roadmap has any dates at all. It will probably be a "planned sequence of events", rather than pinning things to specific quarters of the year.

That's why I don't consider this next patch to be an indication that alpha1 is "imminent". Unless you think that "imminent" covers the next 6 months to a year...

Pretty much as fast as this goes I believe The game will release next year at charismas at least or more  as long as the game is developed right its fine

On 30/04/2018 at 12:02 AM, Lethys said:

Source? Because that's not in the devblog

Soon we'll have to provide sources if we state that planets are spherical. :P

I'm on the phone, and it's not really good for searching. But it's quite easy to find - search for "market unit", "player driven economy" and stuff like that.

Edit. Ok, my mistake. He asked for the bot-markets, not player-markets.

20 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

Soon we'll have to provide sources if we state that planets are spherical. :P

I'm on the phone, and it's not really good for searching. But it's quite easy to find - search for "market unit", "player driven economy" and stuff like that.

Edit. Ok, my mistake. He asked for the bot-markets, not player-markets.

Point being: LATER it'll be possible to build markets anywhere ofc. Would be stupid If you couldn't. 

But this is about the next build and imho NQ didn't provide any Info if we can build markets or where those predefined ones are located

Recent info regarding Markets:

Baillie expounded on the market system, explaining that the range that other players can see your wares for sale will depend on the range of the seller’s market scanning skills and equipment. Sellers will be able to link stuff together to link to form larger markets with a longer reach.

Of course, there is a cost to running the market, and the larger the market, the more expensive it will be. Players will place and maintain the markets themselves; there are no NPCs making or controlling markets in any way. These markets include actual containers set up with the physical goods, or empty ones to accept the goods you have listen on buy orders. NPC bots will, however, sell the recipes on the marketplace that players will need to build decorations and such; finished products will ultimately be made and sold by just players.

Also, info small bit of info regarding Mining:

On the subject of mining and resources, Baillie noted that there are currently no animations for gathering resources like chopping trees (right now it just disappears from when you edit the landscape), but there are some in an internal build for the next release. He then reminded me that resources are finite, and things like wood — a surface-only resource — will become more scarce as time goes on. With this in mind, I asked about the possibility of replanting or farming. Baillie is for the idea, but it may not be feasible. He said,

“I would like to, but there are technical constraints behind that. Because imagine if you plant millions of trees everywhere, you basically have to remember all the positions of all the trees. Whereas in [the current] case, all the positions of the trees are calculated implicitly in the formula so you don’t have to store them.”

Baillie explained that it doesn’t cost anything for the engine to know where a procedurally generated tree was when it’s placed, but storing the information of planted trees could be overwhelming. Could designated areas or specific farming plot items for bases help the situation? It could, but it isn’t an obvious answer and would need lots of work. It’s all about scaling according to Baillie; it has to work with millions of people there in game. No matter what, it isn’t something that could come for the first release.

Source: http://massivelyop.com/2018/05/02/massively-op-interview-dual-universe-demo-shows-off-advances-in-city-building-space-travel/

• 3 months later...
On 5/4/2018 at 9:53 AM, supermega said:

@supermega Trees and other naturally occurring plants got there somehow, and reproduce on their own. What I think NQ should do is make the formula for pre-generated trees recalculate/ regenerate over time, maybe during server maintenance periods. To keep it easy on the system, personal farming would need to be restricted to your own plot of land, say your yard or indoor plants within your home. This is all just my opinion. It would be silly if we harvested all of the trees and turned the entire planet into a desolate wasteland because none of the plants regrow.

@Taisen

I would like to see that too. But, if plants randomly popped into existence every server update, that wouldn't really be farming, because you can't control placement, or density, you don't even know if plants will reappear in that same spot.  Also, that may be tricky to do as well, because the landscape will change over time with player mining, and there will be player constructs built everywhere. Currently all the plants placement is generated one time procedural when the planet is created.

@supermeganot really sure. Guessing they could have it to where each tree has a 10% chance (just an example) to spawn 1 new tree within a small radius of itself, if the amount of tree within that radius drops below a certain number, and not within a certain distant of any constructs. That way they wouldn’t be popping up in peoples stuff, but would simulate natural growth. So if someone harvested the whole forest it’s just gone forever. As far as planting your own stuff, I think that would be an entirely separate element (if added at all) but only in a special planter block you place on your property.