Selling Software on Ingame Markets

yamamushi

I doubt they will be able to stop someone that want to implement a backdoor if the code is unreadable.

As I understood JC in the interview he only said they wasn't a "blow up on spot" function but through unseemly means you could do the exactly the same (overtime or not).

For example :

They will be element that receive signals and react on reception so you would just have to script a suicide function that takes control of the ship direction and send it in the nearest sun or to a enemy base upon receiving a "go suicide :)" signal.

You could also make the ship broadcast signals around itself upon entering a pirate-full zone: "I'm here : (x,y, z)" for all pirates to see

Or make the ship use too much fuel by activating the shield or whatever consuming task randomly to deplete the ship and render it useless.

Because with a good script your construct will be better and do more than with the default script.

Furthermore a script will be very specific to the construct anyway so you won't be able to just copy-paste it unless you put it inside the exact same construct.

JC stated nothing that will be game breaking.  Plus, once you sell something with a script in it, the ownership of that changes and is no longer in control of the seller.

A good script written by you would be better than the default and that is my point.  With access to your creation, your scripting now people can simply buy the default cheaper and copy your script and put it in the new default item. There is no motivation to continue to buying the same item from you except laziness.  So the price increase for your item versus the default isn't based on your creation and how better the functionality is but how much more are people willing to pay to have it entered already versus entering the script themselves.

JC stated nothing that will be game breaking. 

We will see how they enforce that but it might be quite hard. Ask people in real life looking for backdoors in their softwares through automation : it is not an easy task.

Plus, once you sell something with a script in it, the ownership of that changes and is no longer in control of the seller.

The ownership changes yes but if the code is rendered unreadable (script can't be opened or is replaced with nonsense for example) he can't do a thing.

A good script written by you would be better than the default and that is my point.  With access to your creation, your scripting now people can simply buy the default cheaper and copy your script and put it in the new default item. There is no motivation to continue to buying the same item from you except laziness.  So the price increase for your item versus the default isn't based on your creation and how better the functionality is but how much more are people willing to pay to have it entered already versus entering the script themselves.

Indeed, that is the case if you take a standard ship and only change the script in it.

But if you do your own ship or extensively modify a blueprint of a ship with your own additions then copy/pasting the script won't do a thing since you're script will only be applicable with your extensions.

There's a difference between encryption and obfuscation.

A good coder should know how to obfuscate their own code.

NQ would need to encrypt and decrypt the scripts. This will add overhead to the client, but a good PC should be able to handle it.

The main issue with having LUA Scripts obfuscated or non readable is backdoors :

What prevent me to create a kick-ass LUA script and adding a backdoor into it like to send your coordinate to me?

Because the code is not readable, I will have a huge advantage over you you have no way to uncover (unless by spying)

what stops me to make a backdoor or what ever even if the script is readable. tons of ppl wont be able to read lua.

its about trust, and if you realize you got cheated on buying from this person. then this kind of rumors might spread very fast, and ruine his business.

i totally agree with him, that sucks that permissions arent planned. everything will be opensource, so better keep for urself

Ah I was asking about this sort of thing, because it seems to me that 20% of the coders will wind up doing 80% of the work, which is to be expected, but there won't be any way of getting fair compensation for your work.  Most of the scripters will be getting code out of the wiki or github or buying the gadget then just taking the script and duplicating it before adding it to their blueprint.  There's going to be a lot more systems integration work going on than original development.

It's also dangerous if we have connections to databases where we store our economic information embedded in the scripts.  If someone steals a market terminal, they'll not only have access to the inventory of the terminal, they'll have the connection string to the database... we'll need to have some pretty serious information security procedures if we have shared connections in our organizations.  And physical security of course; if someone attacks your planet and gets the code from your economic systems... smart organizations will work to minimize surface area.

what stops me to make a backdoor or what ever even if the script is readable. tons of ppl wont be able to read lua.

its about trust, and if you realize you got cheated on buying from this person. then this kind of rumors might spread very fast, and ruine his business.

i totally agree with him, that sucks that permissions arent planned. everything will be opensource, so better keep for urself

I mean, even if it isn't readable, I think you could read it during execution with reflector.

I mean, even if it isn't readable, I think you could read it during execution with reflector.

well if one day NQ decides to put DU in strong hands such as Steam with VAC anti cheat, that will calm down a big majority from trying anything with the game original files.

if NQ decides that DU will not be a legally modable game, it will be a fair decision

This depends on how edit permissions work on purchased constructs. If it turns out that buying a construct that you cannot edit (only repair) prevents you also from adding new scripts to that construct, you would have no way of pasting-in the superior script. If you bought something with an excellent script, you would have to build a construct to run that script from scratch, or buy additional constructs that already have the script. Also there is a good chance that these custom scripts will work better, but only for specific ship layouts. If a script is fine-tuned, applying the script to a ship with different mass, power, and thruster configurations might make it less optimal than default.

This depends on how edit permissions work on purchased constructs. If it turns out that buying a construct that you cannot edit (only repair) prevents you also from adding new scripts to that construct, you would have no way of pasting-in the superior script. If you bought something with an excellent script, you would have to build a construct to run that script from scratch, or buy additional constructs that already have the script. Also there is a good chance that these custom scripts will work better, but only for specific ship layouts. If a script is fine-tuned, applying the script to a ship with different mass, power, and thruster configurations might make it less optimal than default.

been published that for now any scripts will be open source

been published that for now any scripts will be open source

Yes, but we do not know if you'll be able to apply a script to a construct you purchased without edit permissions. If scripts are considered a part of the construct, then you would not be able to add a custom script to a ship you purchased from another player, just as you wouldn't be able to take the ship apart and reverse-engineer it.

Yes, but we do not know if you'll be able to apply a script to a construct you purchased without edit permissions. If scripts are considered a part of the construct, then you would not be able to add a custom script to a ship you purchased from another player, just as you wouldn't be able to take the ship apart and reverse-engineer it.

theorically this is available for voxel construct build from sold blueprint in a 3d printer. not sure if blueprint will save the edited scripts.

probably not

JC stated that you will be able to on a purchased product. If you own it then you have edit permissions.