LUA - Factories, Automatic conveyor systems and Nukes!

MisterRobot

Hey guys,

Very excited about this game. I have just been reading about the LUA scripting side of things here:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

I'm kinda curious, how deep will the LUA system go? So, for example, will we be able to chain event handlers together for multiple constructs to build fully autonomous factories with conveyor systems that would mass produce a certain item through a production chain?

What about super high energy weapons such as nukes? I'm assuming the more powerful something is, the more energy it is going to consume, therefore more materials it will need to build it.

Hey guys,

Very excited about this game. I have just been reading about the LUA scripting side of things here:

https://devblog.dualthegame.com/2015/09/18/lua-script-and-distributed-processing-units/

I'm kinda curious, how deep will the LUA system go? So, for example, will we be able to chain event handlers together for multiple constructs to build fully autonomous factories with conveyor systems that would mass produce a certain item through a production chain?

What about super high energy weapons such as nukes? I'm assuming the more powerful something is, the more energy it is going to consume, therefore more materials it will need to build it.

Conveyor systems are already planned - and the LUA system will be used in a lot of things, however limited to functions only far as I know.

As about nukes - first of all - they are not an "energy" weapon. Second of all - nukes have been confirmed to "not" be in game. 

Lets just wait to see what functions will be in the LUA, will have a straight answer to all the possibilities very fast

And LUA labrary is something that will propably be updated very often

And we will probably see nuke like scripted and animated objects, spreading particules everywhere on explosion, but that wont deal any dammages

This aspect is one of those things that is going to have to changed based on how players actually use it. Its an exciting game feature but it potentially very over powered.

"

Good day to you, VioletBannana. I know your fear, and I've felt it too, however, I beg to differ. 

Factories in Dual Universe will hardly be anything like factories in Eve or the like. They will be complex, hard to assemble and quite ironically, factories will need to be built and someone might even industrialise production of factories and factory components. Resources will need to go into their production and I very much doubt that factories will be a hundred percent efficient. Building them will likely require a certain skill level and like most other things, factories are constructs or buildings that can and will be destroyed. 

The First and Second World War taught humanity a lot. One of the most important things is this: Industrial areas are precious diamonds and valuable targets for destruction. Having a massive ensemble of factories without the man power or security to back them up will lead to a worse crash for you than 1929.

"

So long as we have cross device communication anything should be possible! I for one can't wait to get started programming, and hopefully resource extraction will be automate-able as well.

PS, my endgame goal is totally not a planet eating monster.

So long as we have cross device communication anything should be possible! I for one can't wait to get started programming, and hopefully resource extraction will be automate-able as well.

PS, my endgame goal is totally not a planet eating monster.

really? thats totally not my mid game goal for my company

Conveyor systems are already planned - and the LUA system will be used in a lot of things, however limited to functions only far as I know.

As about nukes - first of all - they are not an "energy" weapon. Second of all - nukes have been confirmed to "not" be in game. 

I think he means energy consuming weapons not laser gun wise, Right?

Keep in mind that:

-Scripts are saved locally in your machine, so they'll not run if you're offline. JC even said that in the kickstarter video. 

-Since when you're in the game, you load only a fraction of the universe map, if you're too far from the scripted elements, they may not work, since the script still runs from your machine.

-Automated drones are hardly going to be a thing, since that is botting. Free resources or firepower is never good in a MMORPG. It can't be balanced. You may be able to command drones remotely though. 

-If I pilot a ship(or a station) with some friends, and I go offline, seems that all the scripting isn't going to work, unless my friends has it saved on their machine. So how's that going to work? That's the real question.

"

Good day to you, VioletBannana. I know your fear, and I've felt it too, however, I beg to differ. 

Factories in Dual Universe will hardly be anything like factories in Eve or the like. They will be complex, hard to assemble and quite ironically, factories will need to be built and someone might even industrialise production of factories and factory components. Resources will need to go into their production and I very much doubt that factories will be a hundred percent efficient. Building them will likely require a certain skill level and like most other things, factories are constructs or buildings that can and will be destroyed. 

The First and Second World War taught humanity a lot. One of the most important things is this: Industrial areas are precious diamonds and valuable targets for destruction. Having a massive ensemble of factories without the man power or security to back them up will lead to a worse crash for you than 1929.

"

Good day to you too :)

I really hope what you are saying is true, ever play Factorio or Buildcraft MC. Would be amazing to have to plan out logistics and have it require skill to be efficient.