Nuclear Physics Engine

Orius

Nuclear physics. Such a broad category of science leading to the most remarkable discoveries... and the most destructive of weapons. It would be nice to see how this would play out in DU, since I have seen a bunch of people suggesting nukes (hehe). This could possibly lead to quantum mechanics in game, leading to quantum computing or some other crap like that. If it is too much stress on the server, fair enough. It's just a suggestion from the realm of madness inside of my brain. 

25 minutes ago, Orius said:

Nuclear physics. Such a broad category of science leading to the most remarkable discoveries... and the most destructive of weapons. It would be nice to see how this would play out in DU, since I have seen a bunch of people suggesting nukes (hehe). This could possibly lead to quantum mechanics in game, leading to quantum computing or some other crap like that. If it is too much stress on the server, fair enough. It's just a suggestion from the realm of madness inside of my brain. 

NQ has said more than once that there will not be any weapons of mass destruction - so you can rule that little nuke fantasy from your mind. ;)

No WMDs? Of course, that also rules out most nuclear propulsion since any interesting propulsion system is also a WMD, AKA the Kizinti Lession. So it looms like we will be stuck to nuclear (fission) thermal and nuclear ion engines. Fusion engines make creating hypervelocity kinetic weapons too easy and antimatter.... That also probably rules out ftl systems that you bring along (warp drive) since it probably takes a lot of energy to *break physics*. But NQ might handwave that the fusion reactors were way too heavy to even think about putting on ships. And its a lot harder to make a nuclear *bomb* then to make a nuclear reactor. There probably wont be any actual nuclear physics simulation since that probably takes a supercomputer to do.

6 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

No WMDs? Of course, that also rules out most nuclear propulsion since any interesting propulsion system is also a WMD, AKA the Kizinti Lession. So it looms like we will be stuck to nuclear (fission) thermal and nuclear ion engines. Fusion engines make creating hypervelocity kinetic weapons too easy and antimatter.... That also probably rules out ftl systems that you bring along (warp drive) since it probably takes a lot of energy to *break physics*. But NQ might handwave that the fusion reactors were way too heavy to even think about putting on ships. And its a lot harder to make a nuclear *bomb* then to make a nuclear reactor. There probably wont be any actual nuclear physics simulation since that probably takes a supercomputer to do.

There is nothing stopping NQ from adding nuclear propulsion, or other forms of advanced physics elements, to DU. They have however said no WMD for the sake of game balance.

Simple as that.

18 minutes ago, CoreVamore said:

There is nothing stopping NQ from adding nuclear propulsion, or other forms of advanced physics elements, to DU. They have however said no WMD for the sake of game balance.

Simple as that.

If going fast enough, everything becomes a WMD. A 10kg projectile going at 1000 km/s has the energy equal to 1 kiloton of TNT. Plus, kinetic energy rises exponentially in regards to speed. Also, high energy nuclear engines have high-energy exhasts, so the ships have a literal nuclear flamethrower on their backs

4 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

If going fast enough, everything becomes a WMD. A 10kg projectile going at 1000 km/s has the energy equal to 1 kiloton of TNT. Plus, kinetic energy rises exponentially in regards to speed. Also, high energy nuclear engines have high-energy exhasts, so the ships have a literal nuclear flamethrower on their backs

You are forgetting - this is a GAME! .......

3 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Ramming will not be implemented

10 hours ago, 0something0 said:

Love the thought behind this. KE = 1/2*m*v^2 eh. But as above no ramming.

I think some of your ideas can be fudged as theorycrafting AFTER game-balance of sytems eg speed vs accuracy vs distance vs tech type and so on, the basic parameters for the spreadsheet design of combat. But after that, then some of the above with a little black magic - definitely. Agree with the idea of expense = breaking physics. Like that.

On 01/04/2018 at 6:42 AM, Orius said:

I'd love the theoretical basis for super advanced tech (how long will THAT take??! for players to discover/invent/create??) to theoretical postulations of the above ideas. There will be the basic parameters and then over time, tech development inside the game will be increasing function itself... and will need interesting ideas like the above to mess around with. Let's definitely enjoy the Science in Sci-Fi ! :)

I am sure NQ will add exotic engine types later in game to add variety and some unique designs but you will not be able to use them as weapons of mass destruction as NQ stated no weapons of mass destruction will be in DU! JC stated in the ship building tutorial there will be many types of fuels so that leaves me to believe there will be many types of engines for those fuels.