Mechs would be fun

Melkedrik

There are several things that makes mechs very NOT practical, which would heavily impact game based on common rules for all vehicles.

In fact, they can be useful if several criteria are met:

1. Armour is so durable, that you can't kill vehicle with any smaller unit. That's something we maybe will get in game.

2. Terrain is so rough and uneven that you can't use wheeled/tracked vehicles. Otherwise they are faster and can carry way more armour/guns. That may happen, especially on virgin planets.

3. Atmospheric conditions or lack of technology prevent usage of flyers. Speed comparison is just devastating - mechs would always be at tactical disadvantage. But it's already pretty obvious that we'll have both hovercraft and atmospheric planes. Not to mention space, where mechs would be totally useless.

Also there are technical limitations: NQ won't even implement wheeled/tracked vehicles, which are much simpler than walkers.

2 hours ago, Melkedrik said:

I'm sure it would require a whole new development on its own, but the ability to build big mech robots and have them usable would be pretty cool. Mech battles for resources might be fun to join in on.

Two main technical limitations need to be overcome (and they may not be)

1) Voxel on Voxel collisions - atm this interaction results in the bouncing of the two constructs (or construct and ground) - which would make a mech walking hazardous to say the least.

2) Some types of moving parts are in a stretch goal, other moving part types will never be implemented. So depending on how you build your mech, and if it uses the stretch goal moving parts, will determine if you can get it to walk, or not.

Either way I dont think we will have any form of legged player made machine in game until much further down the track - if at all.

Learned a bit more on the game environment from this. Thank you for that. =)

Yeah I thought about 

16 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

mechs would always be at tactical disadvantage.

Yeah I thought about that as well. I also thought about if there was an arena type area where only mechs(or other areas where only other vehicle types are allowed) would be a fun thing to have someone flesh out and be a part of the world. Would be interesting to have a scarred battlefield that changes any time a game is played.

In my mind DU is like a VR world where anything could be possible. Just lots of work/performance things that would have to be met for that. One can dream though.

On 28/03/2018 at 1:59 AM, Melkedrik said:

In my mind DU is like a VR world where anything could be possible. Just lots of work/performance things that would have to be met for that. One can dream though.

Nothing wrong with thinking about the possibilities, and you never know what the future may bring as todays "server performance issue" can end up being "tomorrows hardware upgrade" to overcome.  ;)

Mech : I think will be and are probably possible now but from my understanding there is no wheel base or leg type system and I don't know if they plan on implementing one? The Mech would probably have to use a hover jet type system !

6d12d9d71635c75e3a7fba6c57774203.jpgNecrons-warhammer-40k-35817167-1121-806.jpg

That's not mech. Not even close. That's an hovercraft with really weird turret.

But the top picture looks like proper one. Unfortunately NQ said "no custom turrets" so it'll be impossible to have mg turrets placed on top of cannon turret.