MechMercant

So long as there are sort of hinge/ball joint or even motors to work with then we'll be able to script everything in between and have big mech suits.

Sounds like a challenge to me! :)

So long as there are sort of hinge/ball joint or even motors to work with then we'll be able to script everything in between and have big mech suits.

Sounds like a challenge to me! :)

Well, figuring out ratios and sequences is not that hard, it's like, writing an equation and figuring out the time intervals between motions (T), then extrapolating the process for every leg of the bot if it's a spiderbot, or, simply calculate the the angle of the mecha's inclination forward depending onthe legs movements, if it's bipedal. It's not THAT difficult, it just takes time.

Wouldn't this take more server memory than wheels?

As much as of a server memory it would take to fly a starfighter really. Not that much. Except if people want to make Gypsy Danger in th game. That would take like... a frigate's worth.

It would likely not matter unless we all have Mechs in the exact same spot on the same planet...which would be a feat in itself!

Same logic for fleets of ships apply for mechs as well. And last I've checked, mechs usually win vs armies :P

Plus, given the spotlighting system of combat, it could possibly allow for players to go for joints in a mecha's body, essentially kneecapping the mecha itself and immobilising it.

I was thinking more of like a heavier suit that soldiers were. With more hit points, though if joints are added or some sort of vehicle legs, mechs would be a thing.

Then you mean an exosuit. Dunno about that. The general consensus on the forums is the hope for Power Armors being achieveable by fully dedicated people who spend all their points on the soldier type skill tree.

As for heavier mechs, yes, that's something I'm looking forward too as well. I wanna recreate Gypsy Danger.

It would be cool to have an army of robots or big mechs and script them to move themselves :P

"The developers said they'd put a restriction on how advanced AI will be. It will be wonderful to be able to script behaviours into robots and the such. Player created NPCs would be made that way. Nonetheless, we can only dream."

Mechs are definitely cool in principle... I mean who would not want to walk around in an AT-AT? But in terms of mobility, you would just use a hover-craft, which will be available with fan thruster elements. But a walker would allow you to stack on the armor/iron voxels. If wheels would be made available, which i believe JC said they wouldn't be, they would be even more efficient that legs. Having played+1600 hours of space engineers, walkers are known as a slow quirky experiment, at least in that game. Just easy targets...

MechMerchant, on 25 Aug 2016 - 9:36 PM, said:snapback.png

I was thinking more of like a heavier suit that soldiers were. With more hit points, though if joints are added or some sort of vehicle legs, mechs would be a thing.

Then you mean an exosuit. Dunno about that. The general consensus on the forums is the hope for Power Armors being achieveable by fully dedicated people who spend all their points on the soldier type skill tree.

As for heavier mechs, yes, that's something I'm looking forward too as well. I wanna recreate Gypsy Danger.

Well there coudl be exosuit moduels, and those with the skill could manurfacture specilised suits for movmnet, combat, even mining. Thats what I had in mind

MechMerchant, on 25 Aug 2016 - 9:36 PM, said:snapback.png

Well there coudl be exosuit moduels, and those with the skill could manurfacture specilised suits for movmnet, combat, even mining. Thats what I had in mind

If, let's say, you were to wear an armor around your body that made your avatar be bigger, that would technically be an exosuit. A meccha would be something like a Jaegar from Pacific Rim, which are piloted machinery, while Iron Man's suit is an exosuit.

I hope there is actually a series of modules that can create a skeleton, either small or big modules of that nature, that can be rigged so we can program Mecha animations for walking, strafeing, etcetera. Then, as the final module, have a pod that either you design the mecha around the pod the pilot goes in.

It could work that way, requiring a designer to take into account gimbaled weaponry and limitations power-wise.

I have a feeling it would be more like piloted machinery than an exosuit...but i'm totally fine with that.

Well, the way I see it, we may have different sizes of "mecha" modules (laser drills retrofited as close quarters weapons for example) like we got different sizes of Core Units. It's my thought on this at least. If we are getting different sizes of thrusters, then we could be getting different sizes of modules for skeletons.

• 2 months later...

i realy like to see mech"s in this game like you have in fallout but then with the potential to make them yourself and sell them 

Mech + keywords - Legs-tools-weaponry-defense system- 

Could be used for the people who wants to get allot deeper in LUI scripting 

Mechs have all different diffnitions -you could use it for <war you can  use it for transport you can use it to build large ships ---> you see where i am going you can do lots of  expermental stuff with this idea ;)