Possible exploits and ways to prevent them

CalenLoki

8 hours ago, Felonu said:

There was already a way to counter it.  Attack the base.

Not really, that’s more of a counter for the defense mechanisms within the base itself.  Being able to hack the ability to prevent digging, and even switch the privelages is a worthy counter.

The hacking would be done within the radius of the impacted area of course.  If you’re in an area where you can’t dig, you should be able to pull up a terminal and start hacking.  There’s clearly communication going to your mining rig to prevent it from digging, being able to mess around with that communication is a counter. 

An alert being sent that suspicious activity is occurring on your RDMS network.  An ingame alert, for the owners of the TCU.

As for attacking while logging off, that’s what a shield is for.

10 minutes ago, Nanoman said:

I don't really see why two or more static build zones should ever be allowed to overlap (be it safe or unsafe area), unless they're all by the same owner (or allowed via RDMS for friends/orgs/etc.) The only legitimate reason I can think of why anyone would ever want overlapping build zones, is when it's a collaborative effort.

So that would solve the issue of boxing. I can't think of any benefit to allowing it between two random players anywhere without permission, and no downside to disallowing it. What's so convoluted about that...

Why should anyone be allowed to effectively add unwanted stuff in my build zone, while I'm not allowed to remove their stuff from my build zone.

you can blow it up and I would assume its a toggable setting

1 hour ago, Nanoman said:

If build zones must be allowed to overlap without permission then I'd say at least allow me to remove other people's stuff from my build zone (without the need for explosives, just using the build tools).

If it cant be exploited in any way sure (would be nice but not needed more or less)

8 hours ago, Nanoman said:

If build zones must be allowed to overlap without permission then I'd say at least allow me to remove other people's stuff from my build zone (without the need for explosives, just using the build tools).

Too exploitable. You build your base -> I place huge static core right next to it -> Just mine out your whole base with nanoformer.

But I agree - building zones should not overlap (unless allowed by RDMS). That brings nothing interesting to combat, and just ask for griefing.