Possible exploits and ways to prevent them

CalenLoki

How can system get exploited? How can it be improved to prevent exploits?

That's my usual way of thinking. Especially when I encounter interesting and complex system, like DU.

So I have some possible exploits in mind, that probably were discussed, or there is game mechanic I'm not aware of that takes care of them already.

I marked possible solutions with colours, based on my subjective opinions:

Green means it would help to fix the problem

Yellow means it wouldn't hurt, but doesn't really change much regarding that exploit. Or is really complicated to implement.

Red breaks more than it fix.

1. Building base deep underground with extremely hard to breach defences. Can't use battleships, because it's too deep. Infantry assault is like Soviet unarmed infantry charging German MG lines at Stalingrad. Digging is prohibited by TU.

Possible solutions:

A. Forcing some of valuable devices to be placed close to the surface. Obviously all farming, but that doesn't help much. TU seems like the best candidate. Forcing TU shallow enough that battleship cannons can dig seems like best solution for now.

B. Require special gear and resources to survive at large depths. Just like D. it would only fix the problem if those resources can't be stored for longer than length of typical battle. And would hurt hidden bases without TU, that aren't really problematic.

C. Harder to dig deep? It's only initial cost. And also increase durability of underground base, so it can be closer to surface.

D. Solar panels/wind wanes as only renewable energy? That would work only if energy storage were inefficient (energy vaporising over time). Also sieges would be long boring waiting.

E. Some assault system, where TU protection goes down after attackers with there enough time? Same problem as D. and B. - waiting. If digging protection shuts down during assault (as suggested by @gladiator5501) then all surface bases defences become too easy to avoid by tunnelling.

F. Exponentially increased maintenance cost? Damage over time to anything that is deep underground? Would work, but may be taxing on server. And hurts hidden bases.

G. Provided by @ShioriStein: Gas weapons. But that would require liquid physics, which we probably won't get anytime soon. Same apply to flooding such base with water.

H. By @Hades: Make TU protect only close to the surface, leaving depths impossible to protect from digging. Would allow night-mining of enemy resources, without any viable counter.

I. Make TU buble shape, rather than column. A bit far from currently implemented system - but that's probably how it gonna work in space. Would limit the amount of stone you need to blow up to get to nearest TCU. Would lead to nice staged battles, as you'd fight for small parts of enemy base (i.e. only for storage section) It would also make it independent from hex-grid, thus more natural.

J. By  @ShioriStein@Kurock@Felonu: Make digging with explosives/weapons quick and cheap. That makes surface bases completely obsolete (just like E.), but at least fix the underground bases problem.

K. By @Felonu@ostris:Limit dispenser-storage (item link) range. Would at least force underground bases to have entrance for cargo vehicles.

L. Drill. Primitive tool that can't be blocked by TCU (but can be by FFU or safe zone). Dig slowly (1/8 m3/s), Is loud (sensors can pin-point it form hundreds of meters), and you need to carry rocks in uncompressed form out of the tunnel.

2. Automated AFK mining. What if I build and program my hovercraft to go in pattern, jump on, block/macro dig button and leave it for night to dig whole ore vein?

Possible solutions:

A. Provided by  @Atmosph3rik: Resources should be in non-solid, odd-shaped veins, so strip mining is extremely inefficient. Sounds like efficient solution without side effects.

B. Limit players inventory capacity. But it's easy to set macro to once per 10 minutes turn around, use dispenser to clear inv, then go back to mining. And it would hurt long mining trips on foot (I don't mind, as IMO you should use some kind of vehicle with you most of the time).

C. Limiting how much character can mine per day. I.e. make mining generate heat, which cools several times slower when not mining. The longer you mine, the slower it goes. I.e. after 2h you mine 2x slower, after 10h you mine 10x slower. That would hurt legit no-life miners, which I wouldn't mind, but some players probably would.

3. Provided by @OmfgreenhairNew player's bases boxed with basic materials in safe-zone by troll (who may demand payment for removing the structure)

Possible solutions:

A. TU makes it impossible due to size of protected area. But it's not really within reach of new player

B. Static constructs have weaker version of TU (few meters around the construct) built in, making griefer work more time consuming. Especially considered that you need to dig under base as well, to fully block someone.

C. Limit players to single static constructs within ASA per account. That shouldn't harm anyone sane, and would help against ASA clutter. This way troll could troll just one player.

D. Limit usage of very basic resources in constructs (rock, dirt, snow). But that would hinder creativity too much.

E. Provided by @Kurock: Allow players to re-park ships that someone parked too close to your construct, even if it means some clipping. Should fix the problem with dynamic constructs used for boxing.

Know the solution? Share.

Think of some other exploit? Share too.

13 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

2. Automated AFK mining. What if I build and program my hovercraft to go in pattern, jump on, block/macro dig button and leave it for night to dig whole ore vein?

AFAIK there is no way to automate mining, and there is no plan to make it a feature in the future.

I just posted way to mine automatically, using just simple undetectable macro and smart in game vehicle construction/Lua scripting.

Build hovercar, program it to follow specific pattern (i.e. go straight for 100m, turn 90 degree right, move 3m, turn 90 degree right, go straight for 100m, turn 90 degree left, move 3m, turn 90 degree left, repeat)

Jump on, stand in front with digging tool selected. Aim at 45 degree forward-down.

Put something heavy on keyboard button that make it dig.

Leave for night.

In the morning collect all the resources.

I'm talking about exploits, not built-in features.

I think that for the first problem that you have mentioned, I think can be resolved by a simple thing. That is the when a player is in an org that is at war with another org, those two orgs will be able to damage buildings within the TU and the "no digging", "no flying restrictions", and etc will be null and void.

10 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

1. Building base deep underground with extremely hard to breach defences. Can't use battleships, because it's too deep. Infantry assault is like Soviet unarmed infantry charging German MG lines at Stalingrad. Digging is prohibited by TU

RDMs is applies in peace time but after declear war ? Still unknow but I have some idea already.

Blockcade them to death, you need energy to keep thing working. You cant get all thing from only your base.

Explosive weapon ? Blow up the surface.

And last idea yeah ground soldier will have to assault the underground base.

But in the end if anyone want to build base to that depth they sure dont want war in the end. Because it so depth so how can they get a ship ? They cant hide it after all. If they make a hangar to store the ship sure the attacker will annihilate it.

After all no war without blood here.

10 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

Anyone will have the same idea but take in mind that LUA will be limited or even heavy limited to the point no moving involved. 

NQ have a very strong against automatic mining. They have say it countless time.

Also hover with mining element may in game but automation via LUA ? not gonna happen for sure.

Many people after hearing there is LUA also have same idea as you lmao.

The solution is simple. DU is ment to be of the people,by the people. Immerging, expanding.

First thing i will do on my ground is build a underground base, as deep as possible, make sure it is heavy armored and weaponized. Stop thinking of DU as just another game, Think of it as it is meant, a new life, only think in oppertunities, There are no rules outside of the explicit rules stated by the makers. There is no thing as exploids, only undiscovered opertunities.

When you cannot automine but you can write a script and a remotecontrole option, its not an exploid, its inventive lua programming in an ever changing universe, think Big, think Very big, Think Dyson sphere big

Edited by Aaron Cain
typo

4 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

RDMs is applies in peace time but after declear war ? Still unknow but I have some idea already.

I don't think RDMS will be lifted during war. It would be way too easy to destroy any base using construction tools. If anything, being under siege should block defenders rights to edit construction, to prevent using it as unfair advantage in combat. Or allow everyone to build/deconstruct, but at much slowed pace.

Blockcade them to death, you need energy to keep thing working. You cant get all thing from only your base.

So classic medieval siege. With enough energy stored, it could take months. IMO single battle shouldn't last more than 6h - it's a game, not work.

Explosive weapon ? Blow up the surface.

Explosives that blow through 500m of stone? No, thanks. That would totally remove whole point of building.

But in the end if anyone want to build base to that depth they sure dont want war in the end. Because it so depth so how can they get a ship ? They cant hide it after all. If they make a hangar to store the ship sure the attacker will annihilate it.

Same principle as with infantry assault - make narrow corridor, just enough to let your ship pass. At the end make an kill-room, with tons of well-fortified guns. No ship would last there more than seconds. And after it's crippled, wreck would block the entrance for other ships.

Anyone will have the same idea but take in mind that LUA will be limited or even heavy limited to the point no moving involved.

It's already confirmed, via videos, that you can make auto-pilot.

No mining device, but you can use player character for that.

Possible solution -> make mining require energy, which only source is self-regen. You can store up to 9h of mining, it regenerate 1h worth of energy in 8h. So you can only mine 3h per day on average.

Or even better - make it slowly heat up. The more heated up, the slower it operates. Mining speed is divided by amount of hours worth of mining stored as heat. So after 2h it drops in half. Heat radiates 4 times slower than it builds up. It's better than the fist option, because it's soft cap, rather than hard-cap. So it won't suddenlyrun out right in the middle of super-rare vein after you've mined stone for hours searching for it.

Both would hit those no-life miners, by forcing them do do something other than clicking RMB for hours. But every limitation hit those innocent in some way.

18 minutes ago, Aaron Cain said:

The solution is simple. DU is ment to be of the people,by the people. Immerging, expanding.

First thing i will do on my ground is build a underground base, as deep as possible, make sure it is heavy armored and weaponized. Stop thinking of DU as just another game, Think of it as it is meant, a new life, only think in oppertunities, There are no rules outside of the explicit rules stated by the makers. There is no thing as exploids, only undiscovered opertunities.

When you cannot automine but you can write a script and a remotecontrole option, its not an exploid, its inventive lua programming in an ever changing universe, think Big, think Very big, Think Dyson sphere big

If one way to play is the single best competitive option, then it's bad game design. Especially if it's so blatantly obvious way. The point of this discussion (other than just brain exercise) is to find solutions, to increase gameplay diversity.

And makers stated that they don't want auto-mining. More of a intention than rule, as we already have confirmed all the tools necessary to make auto-miner.

Both bunkers and aut-mining is just too simple to be the best.

just expect to see alot of bunkers, underground bases and borg cubes, they are easy and most people will go for easy, not for wow. I will go for wow, but an undergroundbunker is kinda a Must to protect all the stuff you will gather in the years, im not planning on going DU for a few months, im going for decades so the base must be safe and best way is to start safe, make a solid ground for your future base and experience in other games shows, underground is the best way, not the easiest, but the best. building underground is much harder then you think, specially when energy is involved and things like hangars and how to get there fast.  same for the miners, automining or programmed mining is a difference, and the hull will fill up and probably that needs to be emptied rather often, and thats the best way to prevent automining, incorporate something that needs handling.

Greetz

57 minutes ago, CalenLoki said:

It's already confirmed, via videos, that you can make auto-pilot.

No mining device, but you can use player character for that.

Auto pilot not auto moving or auto do thing after say : "GO MINING". It just simple, very simple like go to your place, go there, stop here, follow me, .. but not auto going around. Even with LUA i doubt NQ will allow it to happen. In the end like i say in many topic: Mining is blood of the game and miner is very important person. I dont want to see big org or rich boy go full mining operation with very few people and only automation, afk and do something else because you think it is no fun. It only make the value of newbie (who usually go miner first all the game) will drop low.

Possible solution -> make mining require energy, which only source is self-regen. You can store up to 9h of mining, it regenerate 1h worth of energy in 8h. So you can only mine 3h per day on average.

You mean only energy is self-regen ? I didnt very clear of your idea because i didnt see what it solve.

Or even better - make it slowly heat up. The more heated up, the slower it operates. Mining speed is divided by amount of hours worth of mining stored as heat. So after 2h it drops in half. Heat radiates 4 times slower than it builds up. It's better than the fist option, because it's soft cap, rather than hard-cap. So it won't suddenlyrun out right in the middle of super-rare vein after you've mined stone for hours searching for it.

I like the idea it heat up or stuff worn down, but that doesnt a effective solution. Create more solution only to create more exploit.
Also as you say if it run out on super-rare vein i would rather mine it by hand ( because as NQ say the more it rare, the smaller it is the vein.)

Both would hit those no-life miners, by forcing them do do something other than clicking RMB for hours. But every limitation hit those innocent in some way.

Against, none force you to do it. IF you dont do it someone else will do it. IT called Demand and Supply. Always will be someone doing the stuff which nobody want to do ( few rival  ). IF you dont want mining ? Fine you can go do something else  which you are good at it and earn money to buy stuff from people who do that "B O R I N G" work.

If NQ give all the stuff you want, i doubt people will keep complain for more and more so yeah just hard in the first place is easy.
Easy to Learn, Hard to Master.

Same principle as with infantry assault - make narrow corridor, just enough to let your ship pass. At the end make an kill-room, with tons of well-fortified guns. No ship would last there more than seconds. And after it's crippled, wreck would block the entrance for other ships.

That is its purpose, build hard to be not destroy by unwanted people. Are you expect to get a easy war with out any blood, effort put in ? Are you wanting a war which end in several hour like other survival game ? IF you want to destroy them i believe you have to ready your force for it, you have to account anything in your strategist to make sure the win is in your hand. IF not the loose is on your, like some empire in our real world, use infantry like water, put too much effort but too little profit from it.
Take in mind DU is an MMO, mean it very big, big than any game i have ever expect ( Not EvE here, DU != EvE so dont compare ) to be when come in term of building, economic, explore ...

Two things about the mining. One you are assuming we can set up macros in that manner, Two you are assuming all materials are on the surface of the planet. actually a third point i think depending on the material it will take longer to actually mine a section. have to hold the key down for a bit. So even if you have the capacity to do the macros. The materials you will receive will be subpar and super common.

22 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

I think the main reason this specific exploit won't be likely to be an issue is that valuable materials will be underground probably in odd shaped veins surrounded by dirt or rock.

So you would have to write a program that could first use the scanner to identify a vein of the material that you want.  And then it would have to be able to visually tell the difference between the surrounding dirt and resources.

It might be possible.  But it definitely wouldn't be possible with predefined patterns.  Your macro would need to be pretty intelligent.

Another thing for power is Geothermal you can farm underground as well (IRL) so that would throw your blockade idea Also the whole intention I fell in underground bases are to make smaller orgs/solo players a chance against big orgs making a huge deffence  buff to all so it makes it extremely hard to attack ones base if set up correctly even for large orgs. This in turn would make small players no likely be able to destroy large org bases which I think is fine because ships and stations will be fair game. Really a nice deffence buff cant be controlled with dictating where things should be placed because that is not how DU is advertised. And the DU devs are going to stone wall any auto mining possible in any way possible so don count on it.

hmm, if you could place and bury your TU underground, it would be basically invulnerable. If they somehow don't allow it to be placed underground or have dirt placed around it, that might work. I don't think allowing an enemy to dig in any way would work because then you could just have trolls who deface your land just because they can.

exploit? Try this one:

"hello player in safe zone. Nice base. Let me put a box around it with basic mats. You'll get access if you pay me x amount ingame resource y."

Or that one falls under 'how do I get banned'... Barely ever can tell the difference.

1. Impenetrable underground bunkers

9 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

That is its purpose, build hard to be not destroy by unwanted people.

The problem is - building underground is not hard, doesn't require skill or even smart idea. And unless there is some mechanic that prevents it - its hyper-effective, making you almost invulnerable.

Are you expect to get a easy war with out any blood, effort put in ? Are you wanting a war which end in several hour like other survival game ?

No. But I don't want any bases that are completely invulnerable. The same reason I don't want safe-zones spread all around.

Don't try to guess my motivations. It seems you miss them all the time. Focus on topic.

IF you want to destroy them i believe you have to ready your force for it, you have to account anything in your strategist to make sure the win is in your hand.

Can you thing of ANY way to defeat well-prepared underground bunker, without having 10 times more soldiers? If yes, please share.

2 hours ago, unown006 said:

Another thing for power is Geothermal you can farm underground as well (IRL) so that would throw your blockade idea Also the whole intention I fell in underground bases are to make smaller orgs/solo players a chance against big orgs making a huge deffence  buff to all so it makes it extremely hard to attack ones base if set up correctly even for large orgs. This in turn would make small players no likely be able to destroy large org bases which I think is fine because ships and stations will be fair game. Really a nice deffence buff cant be controlled with dictating where things should be placed because that is not how DU is advertised.

Geothermal, large batteries or fuel tanks, secret tunnel to bring supplies. I don't think "starving" base would be even an viable solution.

Problem is - if small org can easily defend against large org, how could you ever have a chance to capture large org base? Even if you're in just as large org? And devs are clearly against safe-zones.

Limiting PvP to ships and space station seems seriously limiting.

Every game has limits - rules. Otherwise there could be no competition.

2 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

Who say i cant put my TU underground.

Game balance. I hope.

2. Auto-mining

2 hours ago, Atmosph3rik said:

I think the main reason this specific exploit won't be likely to be an issue is that valuable materials will be underground probably in odd shaped veins surrounded by dirt or rock.

Yes, that should fix the problem with rare ores - because there the challenge is to find the ore, rather than time required to mine it.

But for it to apply to common veins, those also would have to have very uneven structure, so strip mining is very inefficient. They are announced to span kilometres long/wide. So placing them in very narrow but long veins fix the issue.

I'll add it to OP

Auto pilot not auto moving

Err... what's the difference? If I have access via Lua to engines, and construct coordinates, I can make it move in any way I want - simple or not.

I.e. I can make bus that goes from ark to the edge of safe zone and back, collect money for tickets and let passengers play pong on the way. Lua is very powerful.

You mean only energy is self-regen ? I didnt very clear of your idea because i didnt see what it solve.

It prevents auto-mining, because you are limited to mining 3h/day. And only self-regen, because if you allow external source, then limitation just get removed.

I like the idea it heat up or stuff worn down, but that doesnt a effective solution. Create more solution only to create more exploit.

Why isn't it and effective? What kind of exploit?

Could you elaborate? Statements like those gives us nothing. 

Also as you say if it run out on super-rare vein i would rather mine it by hand

Everything is mined by hand. AFAIK there is no other tool for mining than your magic hand that eats matter. The system I suggested applies to that magic hand.

BTW the fact that I think mining is boring AF doesn't mean that I'm advocating for auto-mining (in this particular thread). So don't insist such things.
Maybe NQ will make mining interesting in some way. One can dream.

3 hours ago, The_War_Doctor said:

One you are assuming we can set up macros in that manner

Yes, based on what they showed us and my knowledge of Lua.

Two you are assuming all materials are on the surface of the planet

No. I'm assuming that player finds large vein manually, then set afk mining bot. There is no problem with making it work underground.

actually a third point i think depending on the material it will take longer to actually mine a section. have to hold the key down for a bit. So even if you have the capacity to do the macros. The materials you will receive will be subpar and super common.

Common material is enough to flood the market, making newbies unable to earn their first quanta.

3. Boxing new player's bases in safe zone

@Omfgreenhair good one! I'll add it to OP.

Possible solutions:

a. TU makes it impossible due to size of protected area. But it's not really within reach of new player

b. Static constructs have weaker version of TU (few meters around the construct) built in, making griefer work more time consuming. Especially considered that you need to dig under base as well, to fully block someone.

c. Limit players to single static constructs within ASA per account. That shouldn't harm anyone sane, and would help against ASA clutter. This way troll could troll just one player.

d. Limit usage of very basic resources in static constructs (rock, dirt, snow). But that would hinder creativity too much.

5 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

1. Impenetrable underground bunkers

15 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

That is its purpose, build hard to be not destroy by unwanted people.

The problem is - building underground is not hard, doesn't require skill or even smart idea. And unless there is some mechanic that prevents it - its hyper-effective, making you almost invulnerable.

Are you expect to get a easy war with out any blood, effort put in ? Are you wanting a war which end in several hour like other survival game ?

No. But I don't want any bases that are completely invulnerable. The same reason I don't want safe-zones spread all around.

Don't try to guess my motivations. It seems you miss them all the time. Focus on topic.

IF you want to destroy them i believe you have to ready your force for it, you have to account anything in your strategist to make sure the win is in your hand.

Can you thing of ANY way to defeat well-prepared underground bunker, without having 10 times more soldiers? If yes, please share.

lmao I would say GAS them but realize that... we still not see PvP aspect in DU yet so we should let this matter for now.

Err... what's the difference? If I have access via Lua to engines, and construct coordinates, I can make it move in any way I want - simple or not.

I.e. I can make bus that goes from ark to the edge of safe zone and back, collect money for tickets and let passengers play pong on the way. Lua is very powerful.

Yes, based on what they showed us and my knowledge of 

From what they show us it only a small part of it I think. 

But if you follow the dev and interview , NQ have say many time that no auto-mining.

And they already say they ''WILL'' limited or even heavy limited on LUA.

And there is a video on youtube DU channel that NQ have build a bot with LUA and auto pilot but It only can do some work as : Go there, stop here, follow me, go to some point on the map, go to me ... So about auto moving to multi coordinates via LUA seem wont be here.

2 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

lmao I would say GAS them but realize that... we still not see PvP aspect in DU yet so we should let this matter for now.

From what they show us it only a small part of it I think. 

But if you follow the dev and interview , NQ have say many time that no auto-mining.

And they already say they ''WILL'' limited or even heavy limited on LUA.

And there is a video on youtube DU channel that NQ have build a bot with LUA and auto pilot but It only can do some work as : Go there, stop here, follow me, go to some point on the map, go to me ... So about auto moving to multi coordinates via LUA seem wont be here.

What about 3rd party scripts not intergrated into DU that basically turns your avatar into a programmable robot?

55 minutes ago, 0something0 said:

What about 3rd party scripts not intergrated into DU that basically turns your avatar into a programmable robot?

And ?

5 hours ago, ShioriStein said:

That would work probably. But they stated that liquid physics probably won't be there, at least for quite some time. And without that, gas wouldn't work

You're right that we don't know much about PvP. Maybe they invented some mechanics that nobody ever did before. The point of this discussion is to either guess that, or to help them by giving hints what could work.

2 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

That would work probably. But they stated that liquid physics probably won't be there, at least for quite some time. And without that, gas wouldn't work

Lmao i just joking about GAS them ... #nazi-reference.

About TU, well now i do agree with you about TU, there should be a limit deep for a TU if it underground. Unlimited underground make it so OP.

1) I understand the situation but fail to see the problem. If it's hard for enemies to get in, it's hard for the people that live there too. If the base must have ship access, well those are massive doors that can be shot down. Also (outside of the safezone) you can still destroy claimed land. No mining just means you cannot *collect* the resources from the ground. If you are worried about people defacing your grounds, you should have put up some shields. Also, most importantly, we need proper tools to flatten/restore terrain.

2) Automated Avatar Syndrome is a disease. Anyone caught with this disease should be shot then banned or the disease will spread. Quarantine the infection. I don't really have a solution for this other than don't be an AAS.

3) Outside safezone, think outside the box and action it with gunz. Inside the safezone I like the idea of "reparking" a ship that sticks around in your safe zone territory for too long. An option that moves it randomly to nearby open (unclaimed) area. The owner has no issue finding it again because it's still listed on his map. Fixes box ships and illegal parkers . If you get wheel clamped (aka boxed) in someone else's territory, it's really your own fault.

11 minutes ago, Kurock said:

3Inside the safezone I like the idea of "reparking" a ship that sticks around in your safe zone territory for too long. An option that moves it randomly to nearby open (unclaimed) area. The owner has no issue finding it again because it's still listed on his map. Fixes box ships and illegal parkers . If you get wheel clamped (aka boxed) in someone else's territory, it's really your own fault.

The problem is - new players won't have access to TU (claiming area) because of price of such device. Their only protection will be RDMS that AFAIK apply to all your constructs, even if they're not protected by TU/FFU.

Re-parking dynamic constructs sounds like nice solution to being boxed with them, but does nothing against being boxed inside static construct.

1 hour ago, CalenLoki said:

The problem is - new players won't have access to TU (claiming area) because of price of such device. Their only protection will be RDMS that AFAIK apply to all your constructs, even if they're not protected by TU/FFU.

Re-parking dynamic constructs sounds like nice solution to being boxed with them, but does nothing against being boxed inside static construct.

More convoluted rules:  static constructs cannot be placed in the safezone in an unclaimed territory when its build area overlaps any other build area you can't build in.

Course if none of these things are implemented you have the following recourse:

Also it should be noted that anyone can see who owns a construct. Then the solution is call a GM. NQ can decide if they approve of trollish behavior by deleting the offending construct and/or banning the troll.

Really though: park your ship in a designated parking area.