MechMercant

• 2 weeks later...

Bounties would help make it more dangerous for the pirate and criminal orgs, which might make it more interesting/challenging for them. Could even go as far a setting bounties on and entire organization and anyone that is a member would also have a bounty. Otherwise, smugglers are just mailmen with spaceships.  :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

The concept of bounties was covered a bit in another thread about contract systems, although I don't think they talked about organization-wide bounties. Seems like an interesting idea, but a little harder to operate than it sounds.

First, how does a player prove they actually killed a member of the other organization?

Next, how many times is the bounty good for? Once? Twice? No limit?

Lastly, assuming you could prove you killed them, even if it is only good once, that would take a pretty hefty sum on the part of the contracting organization to pay all the bounties.

Not to say it couldn't be done, it might just be harder to do than you think. It would be cool though, since it would give rise to bounty hunters who fly around seeking those with a bounty on their heads!

First, how does a player prove they actually killed a member of the other organization?

Bring the head! Oh wait ... sci-fi? ... just bring the ID. Wait ... computer game? ... the game can detect death of target : done.

Next, how many times is the bounty good for? Once? Twice? No limit?

It should be precised on the contract.

Lastly, assuming you could prove you killed them, even if it is only good once, that would take a pretty hefty sum on the part of the contracting organization to pay all the bounties

Depends if the bounty is left for a long time or with multiple deaths ordered.

The obvious scam:

1 you apply to an organization having bounty on it.

2 we meet next to a rez unit.

3 I kill you 3506 times.

4 I claim the reward.

5 We split the profit.

Only possible if the contract is for more than 3505 deaths.

And the reward could be a bundle like for 10 deaths you get this much.

If the contract says max X deaths then it is secure, but only wealthy organization would put bounties for many deaths.

Otherwise the bounty hunter is free to negotiate with the target, it was the same in real life when you asked for a man to be captured alive (he could bring him to get the reward and then help him out of prison, typical scam)

The concept of bounties was covered a bit in another thread about contract systems, although I don't think they talked about organization-wide bounties. Seems like an interesting idea, but a little harder to operate than it sounds.

Bring the head! Oh wait ... sci-fi? ... just bring the ID. Wait ... computer game? ... the game can detect death of target : done.

To hearken to the contract thread I was referring to, that would require an in-game mechanic that automatically rewarded a player the designated reward for completing the bounty.

If that were the case, then yes, that aspect could work.

My comments were directed toward the possibility that NQ decides not to set up contracts that way, in which case there would have to be a way to prove the job was completed.

Anything bounty related especially large bounties for organizations needs a cap. This is to protect the players from abuse set 1 bounty on a player or even 2 or 3 it could be fun but being repeatably abused is griefing which NQ have already stated can result in a ban.

Well bounties would also serve to allow "punishing" grievers in an emergent way (through the community) so it has to be a little grieving or it won't be perceived as a punishment for their past griefs.

But yeah a well chosen limit (like X death by bounty a day) would protect accurately without lessening the emergent punishment.

Well bounties would also serve to allow "punishing" grievers in an emergent way (through the community) so it have to be a little grieving or it won't be perceived as a punishment for their past griefs.

But yeah a well chosen limit (like X death by bounty a day) would protect accurately without lessening the emergent punishment.

As long as the limit was target-based, not contractor-based.

For example: I upset some nasty people who decide they want revenge...big time. Let's just say the bounty limit is 5 kills per day. If this is based on how many times I have been killed for that contract​, they could tell all their friends to put bounties on me too, and I could be killed 5 times ​for each contract.​(Obviously, we are assuming that one person/organization can only publish one bounty for a given individual, and for a given period of time.)

This would be very frustrating, since the bounties could potentially have no real limit.

Instead, if the limit was target-based, you would have a stat that says how many times you have been killed for bounty today. If you have already been killed 5 times, then no matter how many contracts are out for your death, nobody ​will receive a bounty for killing you for the rest of the day.

Going this route, they should also have some kind of message that alerts the bounty hunters (anyone who has accepted a bounty contract,) that your killed-for-bounty limit has been reached for the day. That way you wouldn't have people running around killing under contract without realizing that the bounties have been "frozen" for the day. 

Another thing, there should be a limit to the amount of time a bounty contract runs for. You shouldn't be able to post a bounty, then six months later have someone still operating under the same contract. You should have to go through the trouble of re-posting the bounty. Also, re-posting should have some kind of fee above and beyond the initial posting charge, and this should get larger and larger the more times you re-post. That way people won't abuse it so much, and would have to ​really ​want that player punished to continue posting the contract.

I agree with some of what you say AccuNut, but know that bounties are something that is tricky and often abused.

I am not necessarily saying I support them. :)  Only that if​ they are implemented, there need to be some kind of restrictions to help keep it at least somewhat fair.

I am not necessarily saying I support them. :)  Only that if​ they are implemented, there need to be some kind of restrictions to help keep it at least somewhat fair.

And there is still the problem of having your buddy kill you, and then splitting the profit. At that point, bounties are almost a reward rather than a punishment.

And there is still the problem of having your buddy kill you, and then splitting the profit. At that point, bounties are almost a reward rather than a punishment.

It depends if there is another consequence apart from having to resurrect and losing part of you're equipment and/or resources, see this topic for discussion about that : https://board.dualthegame.com/index.php?/topic/10103-death-and-all-its-consequences-food-for-thought/

Also as a contractor you will be able to select to whom the contract will be available for contracting so you will have to choose carefully  for example several renowned organization of hunters or you're own organization revenge department. If you make the contract public then you choose to lose your control over this.

As some have stated, a general public bounty will not work. Is too easily avoidable: go with a buddy to your nearest Resurrection Node, ask him to kill you. Collect bounty, split proceedings and profit!. In EVE such general bounties were a laugh for a lot of time. That said, it can be done mediated by private contracts. That is, you pick a third party, put up a contract with it that is payable under the assumption of a probable kill report of the target. Done. Of course this means that the target do not knows that his head has a price. But well, organisations can be created to tackle that aspect. For example: a federation of criminal hunters with a public board to delegate contract completion. Surely criminals will be happy to have an eye on such a public board.