Orbital Drop Pod Attachment

Michael_Arclight

This is just an open forum to discuss an idea. I know you can attach various parts to your ship to add functionalities. I was thinking about a temporary module that lasts until you deploy or reload it. This drop pod would come in various sizes, able to deposit land or air based vehicles onto the planet. You could deploy shock troops, such as paratroopers from orbit into enemy territory to attack previously defended positions that are unassailable due to their strong encampments. However, this wouldn't come without it's own risks, mechanical failure causing pods to land and the speed of a missile, or other similar problems. 

Basically like in Halo, Warhammer 40k, and a variety of other games.

I might be reading this wrong, but it sounds like you are asking for an element(s) that would attach to your main ship to provide the functions you've outlined? I really like the ideas of drop pods, and may implement something like them into my nefarious activities, but I think it will be much more likely that we have to design separate individual vessels that are built with voxels, then be attached to your main ship using an element similar to the merge blocks in SE, or maybe something like a docking port element. 

Either which way, I invision it something akin to the intro to the movie Predator, muahaha

This is just an open forum to discuss an idea. I know you can attach various parts to your ship to add functionalities. I was thinking about a temporary module that lasts until you deploy or reload it. This drop pod would come in various sizes, able to deposit land or air based vehicles onto the planet. You could deploy shock troops, such as paratroopers from orbit into enemy territory to attack previously defended positions that are unassailable due to their strong encampments. However, this wouldn't come without it's own risks, mechanical failure causing pods to land and the speed of a missile, or other similar problems. 

Basically like in Halo, Warhammer 40k, and a variety of other games.

Hmm I see you're idea working on massive planetary invasion,but wouldnt this creat confusion when they are shooting you while landing in random spots?

Hmm I see you're idea working on massive planetary invasion,but wouldnt this creat confusion when they are shooting you while landing in random spots?

Haven't you heard? Dying is what mobile infantry is good for. 

Perhaps a modular system.

Module A : A magnetic pad surface you attach pods.
Module B : smaller pad surfaces that lock onto module A. You attack the pads on a voxel construct in the shape of a pod and disengage the module B from the inside.
Module C : the interior terminal controlling the lock mechanism and a self-desctruct sequence or recall option to lift off the ground and pilot the pod back to the ship, if no tractor beams are in the game for some reason.

Problem solved :D

Not if you have active thrusters that deploy to slow down the pod, like the top of a rocket such as the Apollo moon lander.

Yeah from what I have read/heard about the game that would have to be a ship. I know what you meant, but I don't think there is any autopilot in game that would make sure the pod falls down straight. 

Would be cool though and still much time until release so may be possible.

The drop pod wouldn't necessarly be a "ship" per se, but in DU it would be an own entity build out of voxels and depending on what for materials and elements you use for building it it will vary in material cost. For example a simple wooden crate that you drop from orbit with soldiers in it would be pretty cheap, but its very unlikely that your soldiers will survive the drop. You could also build a drop pod out of titanium, with braking thrusters, manouvering thrusters, additional storage for heavy weapons and such things, but thet would be way more expensive than the wooden crate.

Or you can simply build drop ships, which are reuseable.

P.S. btw the fleet formation in the video, is way to close, no wonder that the ships crash into each other :P

Scripting will allow all this kind of stuff for sure, linking temporaly 2 objects, or having one following an other. What will have to be dealt by dev side is the physic of players whitin those objects

It's not individual ships as those are expensive to produce. In essence, you attach this pod module to your ship. A player or vehicle gets or is placed inside. Someone flips a switch and a row drops straight down towards the planet. Easy and expendable.

Sooo... you want something that does what voxel ships can do, with the size of voxel ships but... isnt a voxel ship?

Why would that be worthwile to implement for the devs?

Its 100% redundant.

Why should a metal shell with thrusters called drop pod be cheaper than a metal shell with thrusters named ship?

Because it contains no advanced components such as strong thrusters for drop ships, or advanced electrical systems other than audio and visual communications. It is also less likely to be shot down than a larger dropship.

Edit: A one man pod that is the size of a full fighter? That would be redundant, yes.

Because it contains no advanced components such as strong thrusters for drop ships, or advanced electrical systems other than audio and visual communications. It is also less likely to be shot down than a larger dropship.

Edit: A one man pod that is the size of a full fighter? That would be redundant, yes.

You aren't wrong, but I also can't say that you are right at this time. We don't know enough to make that prediction of which would be cheaper to do, and which would be more effective. But speculation has it's uses. :)

For the sake of the topic, I'll say I like the drop pod idea. It would be pretty damn cool to do an orbital drop when you're fighting over some territory for certain. Though, I would prefer the Starship Troopers method. :P 

The "Merge Block" from Space Engis was a decent way of creating this functionality. Even just a magnetic docking port between the mothership and the drop pod would work.

Yeah from what I have read/heard about the game that would have to be a ship. I know what you meant, but I don't think there is any autopilot in game that would make sure the pod falls down straight. 

Would be cool though and still much time until release so may be possible.

I also think it would have to be a ship, because you need gravity to make something drop on the surface of the planet and as far as we know, gravity effects will not be implemented in the game.

And a drop pod built from voxels cant fulfil your criteria... why?

And a drop pod built from voxels cant fulfil your criteria... why?

Actually, you are both overthinking it. They are called parachutes, or even better, jetpacks. Drop the troops from an altitude, let them fly to glory.

Hope nothing I said came across as controversial, I just think that it will most likely be something we have to construct with voxels rather than being a singular unique element. I also think that it definitely wouldn't need to be a full sized ship or even the size of a fighter as some others were implying. Could simply be a connection element, sensor, braking thruster, and a place to sit. Cheap, reliable, and disposable.