Delete item is a good thing ?

ShioriStein

I just see from trello that there is an idea about delete item from inventory.

I know that many game have this ability but ... is it good with DU ?

I mean DU is a massive scale MMO, and everything from small to big got their place in the game. It mean it will create a circulation. Thing is trash with this guy is an treasure with other one.

And the ability cant delete thing will make the need of dumping service and give job to someone else like Aaron_Cain the salvage man.

So in the end thing which been dig out of planet should follow into the economic and circulation of game than just delete and disappear.

For some things, like blueprints you just created, it is a good idea to delete some since you only care about the latest one.

Deleting limited resources is debatable. I would prefer a trash compactor equivalent element rather than have it built into the nanoformer.

I can't really blame someone for deleting dirt they just dug up, though I am sure someone out there will want mountains of dirt for their own terraforming.

TLDR: I am undecided about this one.

5 minutes ago, Kurock said:

TLDR

what it mean :blink:.

6 minutes ago, Kurock said:

For some things, like blueprints you just created, it is a good idea to delete some since you only care about the latest one.

Well yeah i agree blueprint should able to delete since the old version maybe bad but i wonder one day.......: " Gentlemen and lady welcome to the auction, today we will introduce you a very rare item, it is the first blueprint of the legendary ship Hion ... the Hion MKI ... "

8 minutes ago, Kurock said:

I can't really blame someone for deleting dirt they just dug up, though I am sure someone out there will want mountains of dirt for their own terraforming.

But i disagree about the dirt, it can get into economic some way. IF they dont want it they just put a mountain of it outside via voxel build tool and then go somewhere. 
If something got delete it mean it lost forever, and the impact on the economic not something we can see from day one day two but is a very long time of accumulation thing. So yeah from beginning it wont have effect on the economic but in the long term- which DU will be intend to - it will cause some impact.

So yeah you can dump it, you can give away it, you can hire someone get rid of it but delete it and make it lost forever ... nah not a very good thing in long term.

12 minutes ago, Kurock said:

Deleting limited resources is debatable. I would prefer a trash compactor equivalent element rather than have it built into the nanoformer.

YEah, dumping service will glad to have this.

On the other hand, items not existing anymore is what will drive economies in DU. If something is destroyed or lost through being deleted, damaged, or PvP, there is then demand for new stuff, this demand is what people who trade rely on. If there was only demand due to people wanting more of something, then the economical part of Du would be a lot less interesting.

I'm against deleting things. DU claim to follow some rules of physics, and conservation of mass is one of the main ones.

Destroying (devices, blueprints) OK, you can smash that computer. But the "scrap" should remain, littering the area surrounding cities, factories and bases.

And you can't really destroy dirt.

But dumping in space should be a thing. If you want to spend time and fuel to shoot all that dirt up there.

13 minutes ago, GunDeva said:

Dirt in space hmm? If I could do that does it mean I could build my own asteroid base !  =)

IF you got enough dirt and fuel to transport those dirt :P

3 hours ago, GunDeva said:

Dirt in space hmm? If I could do that does it mean I could build my own asteroid base !  =)

You’re thinking too small.  I’ll build my own planet.  May have a lot of digging to do.

On 19/03/2018 at 5:34 PM, CalenLoki said:

I'm against deleting things. DU claim to follow some rules of physics, and conservation of mass is one of the main ones.

Destroying (devices, blueprints) OK, you can smash that computer. But the "scrap" should remain, littering the area surrounding cities, factories and bases.

And you can't really destroy dirt.

But dumping in space should be a thing. If you want to spend time and fuel to shoot all that dirt up there.

Well to be exact, mass conservation is not a rule of physics. Nuclear reactions are based on the fact that some mass is lost in the process (it is converted into energy : that's how nuclear plants works). Energy is the only thing which is conservative.

But i agree with you. I am against the idea of being able to delete "material" things. It would distord the economy. Even dirt can contribute to the economy because it may cost you (you will have to manage it) or be an income (some people may want to buy it !). Of course, as it has been stated before, i don't think it will have a big effect on the beginning of the game (there will be plenty of land to put it on : the world will seem infinite) but later on as some people may do not want you to trash dirt on their land, it will cost you (either by owning land where you would store dirt or paying people to accept it on their land for exemple).

To broaden the topic, i think this possibility need to be linked with waste management. In a game, generally, when something is useless to you (which is what waste is), you can delete it and the problem is solved. But as DU aims to reproduce a civilization development and i think civilizations are human organizations managing all the problems humanity have to face in order to survive and/or achieve goals (waste is one of these problems : just think about nuclear waste), deleting shouldn't be possible for material components ; we can already recycle constructions with a 100% efficiency (if i'm not mistaken) which is already a very convenient feature not accessible in reality.