two questions

Bolliz

Hi, has there been any date or estimated date set for Alpha 1?

I saw a video that showcased the tools for DU. Ive known about DU for some time but this video really peaked my interest. Been looking for a game that can come close to Landmark in terms of voxel building, and from the video it seems DU is definitly on the right track.

So voxel manipulation is great, but Landmark also had a growing library of props u could freely place, like trees, lamps, chairs...etc all kinds of stuff. And it really lifted the esthetics of a build if u knew how to use them, compared to builds that where made purely of voxels.

From the DU tools video I didnt see much props, other that some scifi props that had different functions. Does anyone know if they plan to add different kinds of props, not just scifi themed, but all kinds of props that u can use in building?

example of furniture props in Landmarkfor those that didnt play the game:

NewProps-Week7-5.12.2014.png

Hello.

There is no known date for the release of the Alpha1. Game is actually in pre-alpha since end of September 2017. There is clearly a delay on when will start the alpha 1, or when game will be released.

By the way, from the news and videos published by NQ, we can see the progress in DU development.  You can follow the last news here: https://www.dualthegame.com/en/news/

As every voxel-based game, DU will provide a huge freedom in what we can build. As you noticed, we will have access also to a library of "elements", most of them have specific purposes (engines, fuel tank...) and some are decorative (plants...). You can have a look on the wiki (https://dualuniverse.gamepedia.com/Element) where you can find a summary of elements officially presented in videos, twitter....

We cannot discuss more the elements already implemented due to the NDA.

With regards to the development road map, this is announced to be updated early summer. Personally I would expect Alpha1 to start at or around that time but this is purely speculation on my end as there is no information on this whatsoever. 

I thought that was an interesting question you ask OP: If Elements (aka your pre-baked (dev-made) "props") will only be Sci-Fi or will they make other props?

Well as above, you can get:-

* Functional Elements eg Engines (so far)

* Decorative Elements eg Plants (so far)

I mean a plant is a plant sci-fi or not, so it's perhaps difficult to answer that question absolutely. Overall I'd guess the devs will start with a range of things and built up the library from there.

My own preference is that there be a common theme ie sci-fi linking up anything giving Dual Universe a particular look and identity, and it be up to player creativity to transform within that general framework which I'm sure will happen very easily. Again my own preference is for functional Elements emphasis that influence interactivity gameplay more directly as a priority of development.

It seems given a larger population with ever widening tastes, that decorative element demand will expand enormously... then some sort of community solution might end up being part of ramping up (quality) supply... but that seems a good number of years away at this point in time, to speculate.

12 hours ago, MookMcMook said:

It seems given a larger population with ever widening tastes, that decorative element demand will expand enormously... then some sort of community solution might end up being part of ramping up (quality) supply... but that seems a good number of years away at this point in time, to speculate.

Thx for the replies .

As u say, with a growing population comes more diversity. The scifi theme is probaly attracting many players and NQ should ofc deliever in that aspect. But at the same time u have this huge freedom to build what u want since its a voxel game. And thats really a opportunity to attract a wide spectrum of players, not just the scifi crowd. It would be great to see they add lots of elements down the line, elements the supports all kinds of building styles.

Im one of those thats just waiting for the next minecraft with "modern" graphics. Had a small taste of that with Landmark, 7 Days to Die is okey in that aspect. And im pretty sure there are alot of players looking for the same thing. So DU has a golden opportunity here if u ask me.

17 hours ago, MookMcMook said:

My own preference is that there be a common theme ie sci-fi linking up anything giving Dual Universe a particular look and identity, and it be up to player creativity to transform within that general framework which I'm sure will happen very easily. Again my own preference is for functional Elements emphasis that influence interactivity gameplay more directly as a priority of development.

I agree and disagree with this.

As the community builds there will be a separated identity and culture between orgs. At first I agree that yes elements should be sci-fi as that is the world we will be inhabiting but there is still the possibility a colony would want to be more old school. Maybe with their culture they have Asian, Egyptian, Old Western, etc influences. And even if they stay in the Sci-fi realm maybe they want to be more steampunk, organic-mechanical (think Aliens), eco friendly, industrial and so on. Because we come from the same Ark does not mean we can’t evolve seperatly culturally. I’d like to see different styles that people can gravitate to. 

19 hours ago, Bolliz said:

Thx for the replies .

As u say, with a growing population comes more diversity. The scifi theme is probaly attracting many players and NQ should ofc deliever in that aspect. But at the same time u have this huge freedom to build what u want since its a voxel game. And thats really a opportunity to attract a wide spectrum of players, not just the scifi crowd. It would be great to see they add lots of elements down the line, elements the supports all kinds of building styles.

Im one of those thats just waiting for the next minecraft with "modern" graphics. Had a small taste of that with Landmark, 7 Days to Die is okey in that aspect. And im pretty sure there are alot of players looking for the same thing. So DU has a golden opportunity here if u ask me.

To condense the OP's subject here for clarity:-

1. Current Element genre = Sci-Fi

2. Emphasis Element (decorative or functional or both) = Functional 1 Decorative 2

This is simple opportunity-cost decision. It also does have benefits of unity of aesthetic and world-building cohesion which personally for any "sub-creation" I think or feel are axiomatic. Others may dispute that philosophy. I personally also am an avid fan of sci-fi "done well" which leads with:-

1. Scientific postulate "What If... ?" questions

2. Such basis and background to world and characters

Mish-mash ie genre blending, I also feel is lazy borrowing and transplanting and stifles creativity as opposed to limitations forcing more creativity within such defined frameworks. Personally I hope to see Dual Universe stick to sci-fi and science as it's background narrative setting.

Now, replying to your thoughts above, it's "a muchness of a muchness": For anything beyond the above will be function of population size increase and game in-demand and monetization for development. That's a while away. So all the above is my own opinion only. The idea that other genres will interest other groups of people is definitely valid and who knows, the devs may think up a solution for that... parallel dual universes perhaps?

14 hours ago, Pantera said:

I agree and disagree with this.

As the community builds there will be a separated identity and culture between orgs. At first I agree that yes elements should be sci-fi as that is the world we will be inhabiting but there is still the possibility a colony would want to be more old school. Maybe with their culture they have Asian, Egyptian, Old Western, etc influences. And even if they stay in the Sci-fi realm maybe they want to be more steampunk, organic-mechanical (think Aliens), eco friendly, industrial and so on. Because we come from the same Ark does not mean we can’t evolve seperatly culturally. I’d like to see different styles that people can gravitate to. 

As above, just my own opinion according to my own tastes, others tastes are very different and you're right other styles will be wanted.

Again I can only speak personally on a subjective topic as styles and genres, but it's to say I like sci-fi a lot, the combination of science with ideas but good sci-fi like good engineering, takes account of rigorous factors eg logic, efficiency, utility, uncertainty, redundancy and so on and so on...

Genre-blending is often incredibly bloated and wasteful and cheap and I'd go further: Lazy. That's why I would find it less agreeable in principle: It's simply much more demanding to create something via that approach aka pulp or trope riddled derivative and thence impaired.

Let's take your example and take a sci-fi setting already created to explain differences:-

In this story, an alien planet was already colonized some million years ago: It was augmented with earth ecosystems so it's earth-like and habitable for humans. Indeed humans also colonized it but were isolated evolutionary for million years as well (enough evo-devo time in effect). When "humans" from earth/terra recolonize this alien planet the inhabitants are changed in many ways and the planet has changed in many more subtle ways despite still being perfectly habitable.

That's the sort of finesse and creativity that is tight, as opposed to theme-park like Viking Theme + Pharoah Theme etc that's sort of fast-food -ish type of story with so little effort and respect to the story itself.

Like I said, purely subjective and opinionated conclusions for me. Others may see great delight in the above for many reasons otherwise.