Is the game going to be multi-language ?

downloadkct

Hey, i have a question (as title says).

Is this game going to be translated to other languages ?

Like Portuguese, Spanish, Russian and Chinese. We know these languages are (after English) the most used from gamers, which means you will reach a greater userbase. They are also the recommended ones by Steam when ur going to release a game on theyr platform.

Thanks

I can't exactly answer your question, but it's quite inevitable that non-English speakers will show up at some point. How this will work out when it comes to in-game chat, I have no idea since I've never played on a multi-lingual server (as a guy in the states, I feel bad for all you across the pond).

I just can't wait for these folks to carve out their own space. Some pirates will pick you up and threaten you, you don't oblige and they'll drop you off in the middle of Russian owned space and leave you floating. No one can help you because, well no one can understand you.

You know it will happen. :lol:

I personally don't find it too problematic IF your English is good enough to get through tool tips, in-game texts and so on. Different language groups will carve out their places in space where different languages will be primarily spoken anyway. And for those with trouble regarding in-game descriptions, instructions and so on I still see the option of others teaching them through videos or personally, to help them roughly grasp what means what. 

A compromise of sorts. 

Another problem here is the translation itself.

Take eve for example. There you got "Rockets" (short range) and "Missiles" (long range).

How would you translate that into german for example?

rocket = "rakete"

missile = "rakete"

What to do? A synonym would be "lenkwaffe / lenkflugkörper" - so roughly a "guided rocket/projectile". But rockets in eve can be guided too.

Finding the right word in another language is very hard because it should make sense and shouldn't mislead people.

And if that translation isn't done well it introduces even more problems as people will play together from different countries with different languages. The main language will be english there anyway and when they need ships with "heavy missile launchers", some may be confused because the translation of the client is poorly done and they lose precious moments in battle because of translation errors.

So to me this would only really benefit orgs which only speak one language different from english