Former EVE developer joins NQ.

Hotwingz

Hello everyone, in case you missed the tweet Hrafnkell Oskarsson has joined the NQ team to work on Dual Universe. His LinkedIn says his new job is Executive Producer at NQ. 

Some might recognize his name from EVE Online. If I understand it correctly this man was an original game designer for EVE. 

I think this is very exciting news for DU. 

For reference, Hrafnkell Oskarsson worked at CCP for over a good decade of Game Design on Eve Online since 1999, 3 years of game design on World of Darkness (failed CCP MMO), and a good year of writing lore on Eve Online.

I believe he is a fantastic addition to the team.

51 minutes ago, Megaddd said:

For reference, Hrafnkell Oskarsson worked at CCP for over a good decade of Game Design on Eve Online since 1999, 3 years of game design on World of Darkness (failed CCP MMO), and a good year of writing lore on Eve Online.

I believe he is a fantastic addition to the team.

Not sure they could have landed a better fit of experience for the role. Agree. G'luck to Oskarsson: Have fun messing with thousands of players!

It would be cool to have a design post by Mr. Oskarsson at some point, just in general mmo design terms (not digging nor demanding new infos!) with respect to (virtual world) mmo design insights from EVE and perhaps the differences with DU eg sandbox voxel game space is the huge difference that I can see, at least. I don't want to put words into others mouths, merely start a conversation, that Mr. Oskarsson might choose to continue in some way of his own.

Also another tech communication from NQ, those are insightful and enjoyable too, if pos. I'd argue they're far superior to any "marketing" too, at this stage.

50 minutes ago, Omfgreenhair said:

great addition! Though, I can imagine during project meetings some of his sentences might start to often with "yeah well, what we did with EvE was..." Which might on some nerves. Hehehehe.

That whole simulation layer is going to be huge amount of iterative work. So any "take this and this and this ... but not this" from EVE I think is a good thing even if there's more take vs not take! :)

Good news and welcome to Hrafnkell Oskarsson :).  We look forward to your input into the design and game play of DU. we want to succeed where EVE did not with Single shard universe. we players also look forward to seeing you ingame, we would love to show you DU from our perspective.

Damian Firecaster

Legate of the Core Worlds coalition

3 hours ago, Damian_Firecaster said:

Good news and welcome to Hrafnkell Oskarsson :).  We look forward to your input into the design and game play of DU. we want to succeed where EVE did not with Single shard universe. we players also look forward to seeing you ingame, we would love to show you DU from our perspective.

Damian Firecaster

Different measures of success and different successes.

Personally I see EVE as very successful for a whole host of reasons, mainly being so focused on world creation where so many mmorpgs failed in this respect.

DU will measure via creativity with voxels. That's a different measure. A different success will probably end up being a less hardcore and less tight-night player base than what EVE has achieved but atst a less (idk the right adjective...) "dog eat dog" (!?) sort of experience (for better or for worse, who can truly say?). B) Afterall it's potentially another  huge social experiment. :D Successful at being huge and successful at being an experiment :P.

But I agree, would love to hear info from our new dev: May his beard grow long / never stop growing,  or other suitable honorific devices... !

4 hours ago, Damian_Firecaster said:

Damian Firecaster

The biggest reason for the failure of eve was more the community. Any group that revels in its toxicity is doomed to fail.

I never got into EVE myself.  But it's been a pretty huge success for what 15 years now?

Anyway I hope that DU can be a game for the dog eat dog EVE players.  And the casual voxel artists, and SIMS style house decorators, and twitch streamers, and whatever else too.

We need everyone's money!  

7 hours ago, Talon Jade said:

The biggest reason for the failure of eve was more the community. Any group that revels in its toxicity is doomed to fail.

Comments like this generally come from people who do not actually play EVE, do not understand the game or got burnt somehow, generally due to their own mistakes or stupidity in game. The EVE community is one of the strongest and most supportive I know. If NQ even comes close to matching it that would be great. EVE is an unforgiving and harsh environment where loss is very real and it's easy to get punished for mistakes or ignorance. And to those who do not expect or look for that, this can be tough. EVE certainly is not for anyone, as is the case with DU actually. If you feel/think the EVE community is toxic you obviously have not been around much nor have you been part of many other communities.

It's true there is a lot of banter and shit talking/posting in and around EVE but this is for the vast majority in good spirits and for fun. If anyone has ever been to FanFest, EVE Vegas or another EVE player meetup he or she knows how tight the bond is between players and how well the community building in EVE has succeeded. Again, an example for DU to strive for IMO.

Could CCP do a better job at maintaining and managing (the development of) EVE? Certainly and we, as players, do not leave an opportunity unused to let them know, it's for a good part what has kept the game strong and going (as well as dying ;) ) for a good 15 years now.

IMO, DU can only hope to come close to what EVE Online has achieved over the years. It will be a tough uphill battle and while the promise and building blocks are certainly there, it remains to be seen how far NQ can take their vision.