Pollution, Ruining planets

gyurka66

I hope large scale industry will be able to harm the ecosystem of a planet. This mechanic would be able to hold back players from building huge industrial complexes. But i know a lot of players completely ignores the look of the landscape so there should be negative effects on Industrial wastelands like toxic air, undrinkable water, no food source ect. This would lead to a Galactic Greenpeace faction on the other hand.

What do you think about this topic?

Probably there will not be anything like ecosystem of the planet, so it would be difficult to harm it ;) At best, players will be able to influence temperature.

But hey, I am sure that there will be planets in DU looking like industrial wastelands. We only need something worth fighting for (like resources) and a few thousands of players creating and destroying, creating and destroying...

Pollution and destructive forces that we create ourselves on each planet would definitely be an interesting thing.

Maybe that could bring in the days of terraforming, where you need specific gases and things to run a giant orbital machine that re-structures the composition of an atmosphere and allows us to safely work there again.

Alternatively, maybe there should also be a preventative measure that you can place on the planet that runs in a similar fashion, uses far less of the gases and minerals but runs a balancing program to balance the planets ecosystem out. Eventually you could use this technology to make planets viable for us use (and abuse). 

Or as stated above:

Cool idea. And then we'd have to save the planet or move on, like locust.

We just save the planet by running preventative measures.

• 2 weeks later...

Do we really need more ways than mining to ruin planets, seems that is going to be more than enough.

The planets aren't going to be made of 100% valuable resources, and they probably won't 100% mine-able. I've seen numbers thrown around that about 70% of a planet would be able to be mined, which would still be a daunting task if only 10% of a planet is valuable.

Presumably to mine deep into the planet is going to require digging out a lot of rock and dirt, that needs to go somewhere and refining ores should not be a 100% efficient it should produce a waste slag at least at lower tech levels so that after a few days of operation you are going to have to start dumping waste into the world or build warehouses to store all of your junk.

Burning coal and running refineries could create pollution as well that works like an expanding area that changes the colour of grass and makes the ground less fertile if there is going to be farming