Send messages via LUA script

mihoci10

I've been thinking a lot about communication with other players not associated with the character.

Perhaps you can add a function that could send limited text messages to the designated ship which displays it on UI.

In that way you could have a ship or station constantly sending out messages like "Restricted area" or "Open for buisness"

Anyway it's just an idea of mine, tell me what you think.

I thought about different use of sending messages.

Scout vehicle:

When "Z" is pressed then send radio message at frequency 567 ("launch", <coordinates of target painted by crosshair>)

Ballistic missile silo:

When receive message at frequency 567 ("launch", <coordinates>) then launch missiles aiming at <coordinates>

So basically inter-vehicle Lua communication

On 14.3.2018 at 8:10 PM, mihoci10 said:

I've been thinking a lot about communication with other players not associated with the character.

Perhaps you can add a function that could send limited text messages to the designated ship which displays it on UI.

In that way you could have a ship or station constantly sending out messages like "Restricted area" or "Open for buisness"

Anyway it's just an idea of mine, tell me what you think.

I would totally abuse that and annoy ppl with nonsense. I like that

• 3 weeks later...

Given how LUA works here.

I doubt you could communicate with other ships and structures without linking something from your construct to they'res.

Migh tbe possible for a fleet, if they have an fleet coridnation UI LUA script and every ship has an Screen + programming board linked to a central one at an flagship.

But the question is ... are intership/construct links even possible?

Or can you make LUA push out an chat message on an channel, where other LUA script picks it up and uses it.

1 hour ago, Sofernius said:

Given how LUA works here.

I doubt you could communicate with other ships and structures without linking something from your construct to they'res.

Migh tbe possible for a fleet, if they have an fleet coridnation UI LUA script and every ship has an Screen + programming board linked to a central one at an flagship.

But the question is ... are intership/construct links even possible?

Or can you make LUA push out an chat message on an channel, where other LUA script picks it up and uses it.

I don’t think your questions can be answered without breaking the NDA.  

2 hours ago, Felonu said:

I don’t think your questions can be answered without breaking the NDA.  

I was just rambleing with nothing more then wiki knowledge :3.

And the tuturial off youtube.

Nice idea.

You could make it so that you choose a frequency to broadcast on (all if you want) to add immersion. It is mandatory every message is encoded with a certain signature; a random signature descriptive of the block owner to prevent multiple troll signals. If you get trolls spamming the entire bee movie script you can just ignore that signature. Messages can be encrypted by making the signals frequency alternate due to a lua scripted formula.

For example I can be in a mission and have one receiver take signals from control whereas the other is open to all frequencies.

With this, however, arises an issue that if all frequencies are being used by multiple trolls then how the hell are you going to single out non troll frequencies trying to make contact? I suppose you could police the signatures and ban the spammers. But wouldn't such trolls be like the pirate radio stations in real life? Wouldn't it be fun bounty hunting a guy who was broadcasting copypasta into the galaxy?

Another thing is you can just use discord for guaranteed security so encryption is more of an RP thing and a fun coding project.

Things you can do:

Assuming you can have raw binary data for inputting into audio stuff- you made a radio. Congrats.

Make different drones that can report data (short-range dumbfire, of course).

Missiles (that are manned, of course) that could be zeroed in and exploded at a certain distance.

Little relay beacons that send different codes (000 = No Enemies [default], 100 = One Enemy, 200 = Two Enemies, etc.) when you get close.

11 minutes ago, Lord_Void said:

I like this idea, but it could certainly be abused ... by ... some people :P

Oh-oh-oh!

I know what to do!
Since you could make a broadcaster, you could try and spam from a list of words (such as SHUTDOWN, SELFDESTRUCT, DISABLE, POWERDOWN, etc.) to try and fuck up some poor dude's technological hovercraft.

10 minutes ago, Kuritho said:

Oh-oh-oh!

I know what to do!
Since you could make a broadcaster, you could try and spam from a list of words (such as SHUTDOWN, SELFDESTRUCT, DISABLE, POWERDOWN, etc.) to try and fuck up some poor dude's technological hovercraft.

Sounds fun to me! :D

Sounds like you need a programmable Shout function. In almost all MMO there is a sort of shout function, but if you use that in a single shart, probably the whole univers gets the message, so then what you need is more like an automated radar that screens incoming vessels, finds the player, uses comm , sent message to specific player, event done. No clue if thats possible. But since its lua, you need to be around, so it will only work if you stay at that spot 100% of your time :P