Character Creation/Customization and Races

xhiyikfkox

I think it would be cool to have a few different races to play as in the game. Seeing as the game is High Tech it would not be anything game breaking to have Humans and Robots as races to play as. Also seeing as the game takes place in space on different worlds and there are AI Aliens, it would be cool to have the ability to also choose a couple alien race for your character.

With having different races armor could be handled a little differently as well as allow slight differences in default buffs. So say your a human or alien, you wear armor, if your a robot it would be cool to have modular upgrades you could say. Instead of wearing armor you have modules that go into those slots. Say the chest armor is a generator module or something to keep you powered and if removed your chest piece would be an exoskeleton with wires and circuits in it, with a chest module installed you have a full chest piece to the character.

Buffs, I did say slight different buffs. So as a robot you don't need to eat and are non organic, so needing to eat would need to be modified but also you cant be poisoned or need to breathe air. So having damage taken would need some way to repair themselves instead of medical would be cool. Humans and aliens need to eat, however aliens could be more resistant to poison, so less likely to be poisoned or get sick from food. If they have scales for skin they could have a slightly higher damage resistance than humans. 

For customization, changing the armor colors in some places or the look of the armor would be cool too. On the character creation to set a different hair style or color, eye color and maybe some scars on the face would be cool too. If you do the robots, allowing a human to have a robotic arm or leg on creation would be cool too. Another option would be something like the Unreal Tournament 2004 system where you can make your own models and import them. This kind of feature could bring a monetary market to the game or even an in game market if you were to allow trades. Say someone sets up a character alteration station with their own model in it of an alien they made on their own, but to make it work you need to put resources in and then step inside. Upon stepping inside it would change the model of character your using allowing you to become that custom alien. Anything like allowing character customization would help in the long run as it makes the game more diverse as well.

Simple things like this could make the game more diverse in small ways and I think would help the game out a lot. Weather you use these ideas or not is up to you and I look forward to the game either way :)

I think it would be cool to have a few different races to play as in the game. Seeing as the game is High Tech it would not be anything game breaking to have Humans and Robots as races to play as. Also seeing as the game takes place in space on different worlds and there are AI Aliens, it would be cool to have the ability to also choose a couple alien race for your character.

As refugees from Earth, they have said we will all be human.

• 4 weeks later...

It´s even unsure if we can take off our helmets in safe zones. NQ could at least add some different head types to choose from. 10 male and 10 female for example. As a stretch goal we may be able to alter the color of hairs and eyes.

But I think character creation will be a lot more barren as in other MMOs.

It´s even unsure if we can take off our helmets in safe zones.

The game won't be able to tell which areas are pressurized and where people could breathe because that would just be too computationally intensive for a voxel-based MMO to handle. So the game wouldn't be able to tell when its safe to remove the helmet.

I guess it would still be possible to allow customized faces that are visible behind the visor, but really, all things considered it makes sense to focus entirely on customizable clothing and armour.

Given that there may be a premium cosmetic item shop, we might see more alternate armor designs come up, but so far no reason to indicate anything other than humanoid shape. But hey, if enough people would buy alt race character meshes, who knows right?

• 10 months later...

I hope that one day you can not only play races, but can design your character individually. If there are more races than only humans is a problem is probably the size difference. How could one prevent a dwarf building buildings and ships in which the giant does not enter because it is too large? A question by the way. Is it, even though it is a science fiction game, warriors, magicians and fabulous beings still exist? So as in Final Fantasy 8 (space ships, monsters and magic)?

Auf Deutsch:

Ich hoffe das man eines Tages nicht nur Rassen spielen kann, sondern seinen Charakter individuell gestalten kann. Wenn es mehr Rassen als nur Menschen gibt ist ein Problem warscheinlich der Größenunterschied. Wie könnte man verhindern, das ein Zwerg Gebäude und Schiffe Baut, in die der Riese nicht hinein kommt, weil er zu groß ist?

Eine Frage nebenbei. Wird es, obwohl es ein Science- Fiction Spiel ist trotzdem Krieger, Magier und Fabelwesen geben? Also so wie in Final Fantasy 8 ( Raumschiffe, Monster und Magie)?

17 hours ago, Darkmegatron said:

I hope that one day you can not only play races, but can design your character individually. If there are more races than only humans is a problem is probably the size difference. How could one prevent a dwarf building buildings and ships in which the giant does not enter because it is too large? A question by the way. Is it, even though it is a science fiction game, warriors, magicians and fabulous beings still exist? So as in Final Fantasy 8 (space ships, monsters and magic)?

Auf Deutsch:

Ich hoffe das man eines Tages nicht nur Rassen spielen kann, sondern seinen Charakter individuell gestalten kann. Wenn es mehr Rassen als nur Menschen gibt ist ein Problem warscheinlich der Größenunterschied. Wie könnte man verhindern, das ein Zwerg Gebäude und Schiffe Baut, in die der Riese nicht hinein kommt, weil er zu groß ist?

Eine Frage nebenbei. Wird es, obwohl es ein Science- Fiction Spiel ist trotzdem Krieger, Magier und Fabelwesen geben? Also so wie in Final Fantasy 8 ( Raumschiffe, Monster und Magie)?

Nothing of that stuff is on the roadmap so far so no mages and stuff

• 2 weeks later...

My two cents, I don't think there should be different species; However if you meant different races, like German, Japanese, etc.. I do think I recall the lore saying Robots/A.I. where banned completely, and the Arkships where the only exception ever made.

Now, just to add something I hope is not too far off topic, augmentation if I do recall is in the lore, and may cover all of the things you are asking for here. If augmentation will be a thing though, especially at launch, is beyond me; But I would surely welcome it.

Yea I think in the Lore it all so states there was a AI war and that is why most AI is band except of the ARK ships which need someone to run them well past the regular human life span. I have no problem with it and never was too happy with mmo's that had a lot of none player characters or npc's . I am sure the story line and lore will be worked on more before final launch of the game.

Personally, and this is just me and a very limited few others... but augmentation... implants that whole wondrous side of things does fit within the lore... I imagine at some point a few of those features will be added in, in one way or another. 

10 hours ago, WilksCheckov said:

Personally, and this is just me and a very limited few others... but augmentation... implants that whole wondrous side of things does fit within the lore... I imagine at some point a few of those features will be added in, in one way or another. 

thats a cyborg not a robot

CYBernetically enhanced ORGanism

and i stress organism

• 10 months later...

Just my personal opinion. The mages and stuff may be hard but they can be replaced by what Wilks Checkov said and hence special abilities and stuff MAY be possible. But I doubt that will happen at launch. Custom weapons will be the closest thing. Or perhaps the devs will pull off something magical.

Just a personal suggestion. I think it will be really cool if players can design their custom suits and create blueprints and sell the blue prints of the suits in-game. That will add to the immersion but I don't know how much of it is possible to implement. 

• 1 month later...