Solo ... Team ... how much of both?

DaSchiz

Solo ... Team ... Mix?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Planned playstyle; How much on the scale from 100% solo to 100% team/guild?

• 100% Solo
    • 75% Solo ... 25% Team/Guild
    • 50% Solo ... 50% Team/Guild
    • 25% Solo ... 75% Team/Guild
    • 100% Team/Guild

Ok don't hate!!

I know this is an MMO ... and yes I know what that acronym stands for BUT!!! people are different and unique and I am just curious on how people plan on playing DU.  Please no "Don't play an MMO if you don't want to play with people" posts on here.  From what I understand about what is planned for DU there will be the option to play this game either solo or with others .... and both. 

The more people working together the faster bigger projects can be completed is obvious but there are those who like the satisfaction of doing it all on their own.  It is also obvious the more people the more security there is but then again there are those who like to thrive in the shadows as well.

I am curious to how many people plan on playing in what way.  Please remember people are different so please no hate or attack posts but discussion and debate is encouraged. Thanks

While I do plan to organize and run Band of Outlaws, most of my play time will be spent on my own ship with 2 - 3 of my close friends running around the galaxy doing outlaw type stuff. I may be the only one on, or I may not. So I'd say I will be playing solo 25% of the time compared to the rest.

Yeah I'm the same about Yin Yang Federation.  I'll be dedicated in running it and to those who join.  However I plan on some solo play and really it is to support Yin Yang in a way.  In case anything happens to Yin Yang I want to have a backup, or "bunker" so Yin Yang may get hurt but it will keep going.  Let's just say there will be a balance ;)

More details are reserved for those most trusted in the organization and not to be disclosed on public forums  haha

"As far as Dual Universe is concerned, I am a forever and hopelessly a team player. Individual members of the Aether are free to mix solo and team play, but for me, if it isn't for the Aether and it isn't for my team, it isn't for me."

The beauty of an MMO is that you have the choice to do solo or group. Sometimes I get on and I am at an odd hour and the people I normally like to play with aren't around. I might have two or three groups, but they simply aren't available. Or, they might have already started something and be on the far side of the galaxy to where it would take me a half-hour to reach them. They might be running a battle and I'm not in the battle mood so I just decide to continue building the home base. Having the choice is definitely a positive.

It's fascinating to me that NovaQuark is spending all of this time and money to develop the technology to allow for thousands of players to exist and play within the same area, yet people seem more concerned with playing by themselves and not interacting with other people. 

It's a massively multiplayer online game, I just hope that they don't drop the "Massively Multiplayer" part because some people like subscribing to a game every month to play by themselves. 

It's fascinating to me that NovaQuark is spending all of this time and money to develop the technology to allow for thousands of players to exist and play within the same area, yet people seem more concerned with playing by themselves and not interacting with other people. 

It's a massively multiplayer online game, I just hope that they don't drop the "Massively Multiplayer" part because some people like subscribing to a game every month to play by themselves. 

Well, I do not see even one disadvantage of playing 100% solo. These players will not influence thousands of others, who play in groups, while still paying every month to support development of the game.

I am planninig to start a nation who works very like the real life contries. In theori should you be able to play on your own as long you pay your taxses, and you can of course just chilling and killing fare out of the nation's terretory. And join a war etc. The goal is to make everyone make their own goals. :)

I like having the choice. When I am building and designing--and many people will be at various times--I don't see how this works well as a multi-player activity. In exploring, hunting, gathering resources, and in warfare and settling a new location, I prefer multi-player and for me that is how it works best. I don't think it is a question of people wanting to pay a subscription to play by themselves. I think it is a simply people recognizing that there are times when they will not need or perhaps even want others participating in their current activity. Of course, this is all completely separate from communications. In some games, I have seen people log on and their avatar never even moves as they chat with people for hours.

I will probably play mostly with a small group of friends. When they are not around hopefully ill be able to have some decent solo play available. Freedom of choice seems to be very important to the devs so I assume there will be good solo play in the game.

I'd like to romp around the universe with a group but due to my available time to play I can see myself spending a lot of my time wandering the wilderness naked and alone. Hopefully ship building isn't too huge of a grind so I can start on a road trip ASAP.

In the end I hope to meet enough friendlies to have the occasional run in and catch up and trade stories. Don't see myself as having the time to dedicate to any guild stuff though :/

Could it be that you are confusing whether people will be playing by themselves to interact with other players than players "more concerned with playing by themselves"? For example, a solo player pirate could be playing by him/herself but still interacting with other players by killing them and taking all their things.  And what about the solo explorer who sells this finds, map coordinates and artifacts to the market would you say he is not interacting with other people? For these people and when if I do solo things in an MMO, it is enough for us to know we are affecting a greater community, while keeping our interactions to a minimum, for any number of reasons.

There is a big difference between people who interact with other players from those that just want to build in seclusion and not have to deal with other players ever.

Someone who makes things to sell on the market is different than the person who wants OP protections for themselves because they want to build alone and never worry about someone griefing them.

Sure flying around by yourself to populated places is one thing, it's a wholly different topic to go a step further and want to be able to do everything by yourself without ever seeing another person.

The game should not tailor to people who never want to deal with pvp and don't want to put the effort into defending themselves appropriately.

The same goes for survival mechanics. One of the big gripes against survival mechanics was how it would affect solo players. That's partly why the food and survival thread was overwhelmingly negative.

It is going to be a multiplayer game, that's the whole point. There should be disincentivesent for trying to do everything yourself. Whether it is building a space ship, or trying to fly a giant ship by yourself.

Too many people who want battleships all to themselves with this idea that they can just code (in Lua no less) away the need for crews and other players. I've heard countless times people talking about automating combat drones and just trying to run massive fleets by themselves.

I am entirely against the concept of running massive fleets by yourself. It will cheapen the whole experience for everyone if that ends up being the way battles are fought, instead of crews in ships and manned fighter craft.

When it comes to solo fleets. Just say no.

There is a big difference between people who interact with other players from those that just want to build in seclusion and not have to deal with other players ever.

Someone who makes things to sell on the market is different than the person who wants OP protections for themselves because they want to build alone and never worry about someone griefing them.

Sure flying around by yourself to populated places is one thing, it's a wholly different topic to go a step further and want to be able to do everything by yourself without ever seeing another person.

The game should not tailor to people who never want to deal with pvp and don't want to put the effort into defending themselves appropriately.

The same goes for survival mechanics. One of the big gripes against survival mechanics was how it would affect solo players. That's partly why the food and survival thread was overwhelmingly negative.

It is going to be a multiplayer game, that's the whole point. There should be disincentivesent for trying to do everything yourself. Whether it is building a space ship, or trying to fly a giant ship by yourself.

Too many people who want battleships all to themselves with this idea that they can just code (in Lua no less) away the need for crews and other players. I've heard countless times people talking about automating combat drones and just trying to run massive fleets by themselves.

I am entirely against the concept of running massive fleets by yourself. It will cheapen the whole experience for everyone if that ends up being the way battles are fought, instead of crews in ships and manned fighter craft.

On the first part we agree, wanting to play in a solo environment in a MMO is ludicrous. But the second part is where our opinions diverge. Wouldn't the challenge itself be a disincentive for players doing things solo with an army of drones, I know that people are saying that LUA is an easy to use system, but I can't believe that it would be so easy that everyone would be able to pull off an army of drones, let alone one that would be successful. When a fleet of droned battleships engages a completely manned fleet it wouldn't inviolate your rule of people interacting with others, as we have already established a clear difference between solo players who interact and do not interact with the larger game world. It's a sandbox game after all, and any player that comes in with the skill and vasts amount of hours to sink into building a droned fleet to serve his every whim should be allowed to do so, the scale of the task alone will be enough disincentive for them. And also if someone wants to have a battleship all themselves what's stopping them from building a massive hull with racks of guns, and sticking one of those small cockpit elements on it, and feed all the controls to it?    

People who wish to never interact with others in an MMO is exceedingly few.

Lots of people love to solo in games - rather than adventure in a group. Just because they don't want to form formal groups, doesn't mean soloers never want to interact with each other.

All kinds of players like to play MMOs. If an MMO wishes to be successful, the devs need to support a wide variety of playstyles rather than cater to just one. The DU devs aren't planning to cater to people who never want to PvP. They are planning to provide opportunities for players to create safe zones that are protected from PvP combat. Because the devs aren't planning to to cater to players who always want to PvP.

I dunno about disincentives, but it will already be extremely challenging to build multi-crew ships by yourself. As far as I know, it won't be possible for one player to man all the stations on a multi-crew ship. Should be possible to pilot a multi-crew ship solo. That doesn't mean one player will be able to defend and attack while piloting a multi-crew ship.

People can talk all they wish about wanting to running a massive fleet by themselves - doesn't mean it will be possible.

IIRC, DU will have some survival mechanics, they just won't have the level of impact as the survival mechanics in a game like H1Z1.

Don't know yet. I would want a small 'crew' on a ship I'm planning to try and get / create, but a lot does depend on how the gameplay does things. I do admit I like to do / be able to do some solo stuff often, but likewise, it's boring always doing everything on your own. 

Though to be fair, I would far rather have ten or so people who have similar play-schedule to myself, who are competent and whom we can do stuff with, over massive thousand player alliance where few people know each other and trying to organise or "command" any group is a major head-ache. 

Though to be fair, I would far rather have ten or so people who have similar play-schedule to myself, who are competent and whom we can do stuff with, over massive thousand player alliance where few people know each other and trying to organise or "command" any group is a major head-ache. 

I agree. The more people involved, the more complicated an organization gets. However, it does allow for their to be more members on at any given time with which you can "team up." However, this kind of team up might be with people you don't know and hence you do not know how they are going to react or act in a given situation as well as people who you play with regularly. I like smaller groups of consistent members just as you suggest.

On the first part we agree, wanting to play in a solo environment in a MMO is ludicrous. But the second part is where our opinions diverge. Wouldn't the challenge itself be a disincentive for players doing things solo with an army of drones, I know that people are saying that LUA is an easy to use system, but I can't believe that it would be so easy that everyone would be able to pull off an army of drones, let alone one that would be successful. When a fleet of droned battleships engages a completely manned fleet it wouldn't inviolate your rule of people interacting with others, as we have already established a clear difference between solo players who interact and do not interact with the larger game world. It's a sandbox game after all, and any player that comes in with the skill and vasts amount of hours to sink into building a droned fleet to serve his every whim should be allowed to do so, the scale of the task alone will be enough disincentive for them. And also if someone wants to have a battleship all themselves what's stopping them from building a massive hull with racks of guns, and sticking one of those small cockpit elements on it, and feed all the controls to it?    

The one thing to be concerned about with drone fleets is that code can be shared. It's not just a matter of someone taking a ton of time to write up LUA for a drone fleet and having 1 dude with a drone fleet rolling around because he spent days on it. The problem is that once this code is shared (or bought / traded) then it becomes something that any player with the resources to build the drones can incorporate.

Frankly, I suspect the devs will put some sort of a limit on these scripts that make it harder to have a really good automated fleet like this (maybe as simple as a length limit, as an AI script like this could get fairly complicated), so I imagine some people's hopes and dreams will be crashed, but I think it's for the betterment of the game.

That being said, maybe they'll allow it and just give us a counter. Perhaps a module that interrupts remote script instruction within a limited range?

Personally, I'm in the boat of a 50/50 type player.

Solo play needs to be supported, simply because friends are not always online, so in order to keep people in the game, solo play must be feasible. If it is feasible, then some players will choose to do it. That's their right, and it doesn't really negatively impact me, so they're welcome to it.

That being said, if I've learned anything from playing EvE online (the only other big sandbox game with truly emergent gameplay), it's that playing with a group completely changes the game and makes it so much more fun. I think that everyone intending to play the game solo should seriously consider at least giving one of these organizations a shot, because there is such a difference in the stories, politics, and fights that are just simply not attainable while playing solo.

That said, I'll play solo some both because I'll be on when friends aren't, and sometimes I just like the idea of solo roaming combat (did it for a long time in eve, both in low sec and null sec.)

For me, it depends on my mood, sometimes I just want to do thing for myself, and other times i want to play with other players :) as some of you said, it also depends on what kind of people you are sorrounded with and how you get along. If you meet someone with whom you feel like doing crazy stuff, then do it, and in another time you might just want to work on your house or ship or something without anyone bothering you :)

I think there will be plenty of emergent solo missions that can be done in the interest of the players organization. This includes mining, exploration, cargo hauling, and security patrols, which  can all conceivably be done alone, while still helping out the players organization. So that doesn't completely devalue the game as an MMO because it is still dependent on interaction with other players. 

One man factions do seem like a bad strategy however because there will always be strength in numbers.