FPS Combat?

Nova_Lord

What is the combat going to be like ( if any) when one is not in a ship?

Will we have rifles/pistols to use?

or even swords/spears?

I can imagine a huge war of to factions fights on the ground and in the sky to space. 

Thanks 

11 minutes ago, Nova_Lord said:

What is the combat going to be like ( if any) when one is not in a ship?

Will we have rifles/pistols to use?

or even swords/spears?

I can imagine a huge war of to factions fights on the ground and in the sky to space. 

Thanks 

hi and welcome to the forum,

the most basic weapon you have is your nanoformer. Not much is known about the exact PVP system as of now (and I can't break the NDA too) so the only hard facts are:

- weapons won't be customizable (every weapon will be a predefined element)

- no swords for release (but maybe later)

- there will be different kind of weapons

- it's NO fps combat - it's a lock on fire method as in eve online or ESO (I think? ;)). No simulated bullets and no reflex based stuff - hit chance and dmg are "simple" formulas

• 1 month later...

Because it require very good connection speed and responsiveness, as lags affect it quite a lot. No game that I know of can support fluent twitch-aiming combat with hundreds of players close to each other, destructible environment and vehicles. Also don't forget that all players will be on the single shard, so those who physically live close to servers would have huge advantage over those living far away.

Another reason is that a lot of players just don't like it, and prefer combat to be based more on well thought decisions, rather than being forced to think and act fast and precise. And NQ seems to target those players as their playerbase.

I wouldn't mind FPS, but won't cry when it's not implemented.

And I'm glad it won't be implemented poorly - that would kill the game.

FPS combat will work like so:

1. Get giant weapons.
  2. Point them at each other.
  3. Cause a Cold War.
  4. Launch something into space.
  5. Never actually end the Cold War.

On a more serious note, it will be similar to what Ripper said, it will be a reticulated lock.

Free-aiming will be a later feature as it'd require really good servers and awesome connection.

On 26/04/2018 at 1:57 PM, CalenLoki said:

Because it require very good connection speed and responsiveness, as lags affect it quite a lot. No game that I know of can support fluent twitch-aiming combat with hundreds of players close to each other, destructible environment and vehicles. Also don't forget that all players will be on the single shard, so those who physically live close to servers would have huge advantage over those living far away.

planetside can handle hundreds of players on the same place, it's a mmofps.
after each planet is instantiated and maybe big like Skyrim... 

If this game will have the old Tab-targeting system for combat (space but also planetside) then many potential players will be disapointed including me!

Thil we get more new info on combat (especialy planetside) I give 2/10 for tab-targeting.

This is 2018 I hoped that we will have more realistic combat system  so thil I get new info I give a big dislike for an old ( and lame) combat system!

Give to us realistic FPS combat and many people will be happy!

16 minutes ago, Kregon_Tempestus said:

This is 2018 I hoped that we will have more realistic combat system  so thil I get new info I give a big dislike for an old ( and lame) combat system!

yes, sure, you will be very happy if you need to buy a new high end pc for 3k+ if you want to run the game^^

besides, no one said its just tab targeting, lock&attack is archieveable with many methods.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, Kregon_Tempestus said:

If this game will have the old Tab-targeting system for combat (space but also planetside) then many potential players will be disapointed including me!

Thil we get more new info on combat (especialy planetside) I give 2/10 for tab-targeting.

You must understand, in order to do what you are saying and have it work well enough that the players will be satisfied, you would need the most advanced technology that humanity currently has access to, and even that may not be enough. What NQ is already doing is pretty astounding alone, having so many players playing in the single-shard at the same time. It's not that NQ doesn't want to give us a good combat system (I'm not saying that what they are giving us is even all that bad) it's that currently, they physically can't. Give it a few more years, then we can come back and see if they can do it.

On 05/05/2018 at 8:26 AM, lysander051 said:

planetside can handle hundreds of players on the same place, it's a mmofps.
after each planet is instantiated and maybe big like Skyrim... 

I played and liked Planetside. It had something like 500-800 players per map. Which means almost never more than 200 at one spot.

Also, can you imagine playing it on a server located in Australia? It's a single shard after all.

4 hours ago, CalenLoki said:

I played and liked Planetside. It had something like 500-800 players per map. Which means almost never more than 200 at one spot.

Also, can you imagine playing it on a server located in Australia? It's a single shard after all.

I didn't say it's possible for this game. the person I answer just said it's impossible to handle hundred people in an fps game so i answer planetside.
but I know it's not possible for dual universe.

On 5/5/2018 at 1:49 AM, Kregon_Tempestus said:

I hope for this to unless they make it somehow mask correctly then it wont be a very big issue but combat isnt out yet so Time will tell

On 5/7/2018 at 7:41 PM, lysander said:

I didn't say it's possible for this game. the person I answer just said it's impossible to handle hundred people in an fps game so i answer planetside.
but I know it's not possible for dual universe.

You know please provide evidence Of why you know thank you

On 5/7/2018 at 4:40 AM, ShioriStein said:

summary : we wont got fps combat.

reason:

+ Server cant hold it, especially in 1000+ player combat.

+ Not worth. Combat is an aspect not the main.

+ Lag. Lag kill us all.

Evidence please???

Even though I would love to have actual fps combat, I just don't think it's possible on a single shard server. Trying to render the ships, landscape, buildings, and who knows how many people would just be too much and the game play would probably be trash anyways. I would rather have a fair and straight forward approach, that is fluid and plays well. Compared to something that is going to be connection based and be a coin toss on who wins because of lag compensation. Just my 2 cents.

7 hours ago, vylqun said:

was said by the devs several times. I'm to lazy to search the forum for evidence tho.

I have actually never heard any dev say this and I've read/watched a fair bit of the DU material. So yea, citation really needed on this one as it hits the one of the goals of the underlying server system, that is the core of what DU is all about technology wise.

PlanetSide, incredible intensity and good variety in ground combat... wooow... but an entire different game. It seems that in DU people will take better care of his lifes and equipment ... And, from this point of view, DU will be more realistic and rich, being the use of force only an aspect of the game (cos in PS war never ends, but it always goes on in the most brutal way, gosh, it burns adrenaline but at last you need a good rest :D )

2 hours ago, CoreVamore said:

I have actually never heard any dev say this and I've read/watched a fair bit of the DU material.

Honestly? I doubt that. Just look at the kickstarter description, the dev diary concerning combat, or if thats to old for you, maybe read the newest MassivelyOP interview? There are really more than enough sources, people just have to use google for 5 minutes...