NO MONTHLY SUB. PLEASE!!

Xplosiv

It must be your fetish to mention korean mmo's in all threads... or you don't know what else too write...

Grow up man and accept that other people don't need to share your opinion and that your opinion is not the only opinion!

XD you make me laugh XD

Your P2P is at 90% P2Win ^^

B2P means you buy once a game and then play as much you want...^^ you don't seem to understand this.

Look if you wanna pay... lets say 15 euros per months for  3 years... (as example) so do it... think well how much it will cost you totaly, comparing too once 60 euro.

And realize most of the ordinary normal games are B2P Buy to Play and are running well free updates frequently... no dev is starving. Servers can be for free (dedicated)... but well you doN't wanna realize this... argue like you want but live me in peace and grow up and go save a cat from a tree or something that way, do something good and now PEACE.

Unlike you, I'm obviously not a freeloader.

but....but.....but I will ruin peoples day and fun in DU :D

oh and BTW: on kickstarter:

"You won't have to buy the game itself, but there will be a monthly subscription to be able to enter the game. However, it will be possible to play for free by activating a 30 days time coupon (Dual Access Coupon) that you can buy on the in-game markets. You can also buy a DAC from Novaquark to sell it on the in-game market in exchange of in-game currency."

Perfect system.

Can we now PLEASE stop those pesty topics?

but....but.....but I will ruin peoples day and fun in DU :D

oh and BTW: on kickstarter:

"You won't have to buy the game itself, but there will be a monthly subscription to be able to enter the game. However, it will be possible to play for free by activating a 30 days time coupon (Dual Access Coupon) that you can buy on the in-game markets. You can also buy a DAC from Novaquark to sell it on the in-game market in exchange of in-game currency."

Perfect system.

Can we now PLEASE stop those pesty topics?

Also, on the kickstarter, they give you a certain amount of DACs depending on the amount you contribute. Added bonus in my opinion.  

Also, on the kickstarter, they give you a certain amount of DACs depending on the amount you contribute. Added bonus in my opinion.  

yup....20 DAC = 20 Months for 100€......good shot imho

But my finger itches....it wants to click ruby

I disagree and prefer a subscription based model.

My best MMO experiences were subscription based. Ultima Online. Star Wars Galaxies. Honestly, it's all gone downhill once F2P and B2P became a thing.

You want MMO and persistence on this scale? You're going to pay for it. And no, $60 one time isn't enough to support the game being active for 5+ years. 

It blows my mind how people think they should be able to play something like this without paying a monthly subscription. Some people have no sense when it comes to financing operations. 

Not even that, but server costs and customer support. So much shit needs ongoing funding. 

And the list goes on...web developer(s), community manager(s), social media manager, SEO, accountants, secretaries, hr, lawyers, consultants, etc.  This is not an operation run by three guys in a basement.  And ALL of these positions are paid positions and ALL are needed to run a successful business - even a business built around a game.

Fo sho, but you know, AWS Cloud-based hosting ain't cheap either.

Unless they rent the space and put their own hardware i don't think they will be able to achieve their goal as their single shard technology will have to use a monster of a machine, a mini supercomputer.

And the list goes on...web developer(s), community manager(s), social media manager, SEO, accountants, secretaries, hr, lawyers, consultants, etc.  This is not an operation run by three guys in a basement.  And ALL of these positions are paid positions and ALL are needed to run a successful business - even a business built around a game.

Exactly! It's amazing how entitled people have become when it comes to gaming. 

Unless they rent the space and put their own hardware i don't think they will be able to achieve their goal as their single shard technology will have to use a monster of a machine, a mini supercomputer.

Monster of a machine = AWS Cloud-based hosting of servers. You know, the reason this game is so amazing? Wait... you knew that part about JC Baillie and his revolutionary server tech... right? >.>

Monster of a machine = AWS Cloud-based hosting of servers. You know, the reason this game is so amazing? Wait... you knew that part about JC Baillie and his revolutionary server tech... right? >.>

even aws doesn't necessarily have servers powerful enough. Those mostly use xeons that are good for long term computation, but have a low clock, unless they manage to multithread everything very well they will probably need to use the 8 core 4Ghz intel cpus, and possibly with gpus for computation. I have looked up the cost of dedicated rack rentals and those are around 200€ a month for a 5 unity tall rack, thus could build their own server for a total of 20k, that would cut the cost long term, as aws uses teslas and xeons that are hellishly expensive and not needed since their price is justified by ECC support (it isn't required as cosmic rays extremely rarely hit the hardware, and even then it usually gets absorbed by the casing).

even aws doesn't necessarily have servers powerful enough. Those mostly use xeons that are good for long term computation, but have a low clock, unless they manage to multithread everything very well they will probably need to use the 8 core 4Ghz intel cpus, and possibly with gpus for computation. I have looked up the cost of dedicated rack rentals and those are around 200€ a month for a 5 unity tall rack, thus could build their own server for a total of 20k, that would cut the cost long term, as aws uses teslas and xeons that are hellishly expensive and not needed since their price is justified by ECC support (it isn't required as cosmic rays extremely rarely hit the hardware, and even then it usually gets absorbed by the casing).

That's the part about the server tech JC developed. It's all about syncing the servers on their spins and with more players thus more income, spinning up those servers on their clocks. A subscription model guarantees that for X amount of a player, an X amount of spin can be achieved (wihch I know is not an accurate logarithmic scale, but it is close to that).

The Devs have stated they are utilised AWS for the beginning of the game, and that if the game goes well, they can move to their own datacenters, which I'\m fine with, let them sink money into refining net-code and gameplay, hammering out bugs and trimming those rough edges.

Heck, I would like to see them sinking money into making the shaderwork even more pretty. I want my deep space base to be in total darkness given a distance from nearby stars :P

I want neon lights to have different light shade values, or even lamps that cast soft-light that lets little to no shadow due to boom effects.

Their datacenters can indeed wait in my opinion. AWS is working fine for the time being.

There are plenty of good games that don't have subscriptions. If you can't afford one, I'd recommend going and playing one of those.

For real though, the reason why games wike WOW and EVE can continue cranking out quality expansion after quality expansion is because their audience continues to pay. I would have (and still would be) fine with paying a subscription for Minecraft, so I'm deff up for paying a subscription for a game like this.

Plus you can always join an org and earn your DAC's, successful orgs can afford to keep players on payrole if they contribute enough to their efforts. Do that long enough and a player can afford to buy their DAC's off of the in-game market.

Just my short opinion - F2P games are the worst and the most expensive. In some of them you have to pay thousands of dollars just to stay competitive.

Subscription based games are the most fair and offer stable income to the devs.

just for the Record - i am a silver backer of the dual universe kickstarter. i also never said the game should be free. you are the idiot if that is what  you think. 

that is also your opinion if you don't like free games. i know people that only play dota2 or lol, i don't know how those games are so lame, and if you don't play exactly right you will have 5 people yelling an bit*** the whole time.