NO MONTHLY SUB. PLEASE!!

Xplosiv

I don't care how many times this has come up. This is the worst way to pay for a game. 

No, 

it's not actually. It may seem that way. But this allows the developers continued support of a playerbase that knows what they are playing.

EvE, WoW, etc. have survived and even thrived on this method of Payment. Why wouldn't they do it? MMOs require huge monthly upkeep for all aspects, they pay for the servers, the pay their employees to make content. As well as the usual bills, etc.  

One off payments give you a huge balance to begin with, then the payments drop off significantly, thus making them have to budget the initial money to stretch for 5 - 10 years, which is not easy.

Plus, I'd prefer P2P to having them release a game at 60 - 80 dollars and then have 5 DLCs at 30 each. 

This is a fine method. 

**Edit: Yes, it may make it hard for the player, but guess what? Can't afford it for a month, you can make the money to buy game time in game or you just don't pay the sub till you can afford it.

I don't care how many times this has come up. This is the worst way to pay for a game. This is going to release as an alpha, unless it is 1$ a month and the game has no flaws, it wont be worth it. Don't scare away players by doing this!!! PLEASE!!!!! LORDY LORDY O LORDY!!!! 

Obvious troll is obvious :V

And leave Lordie alone :C

Trolling? Do you see a rod in my hand¿  how about a 30$ game where the devs actually still work on the game after launch, like ARk: survival evolved. its amazing how much work is done, and content is added in that game. + its on steam and they add things in the game thats comes out of the workshop. they don't go monthly subs, because they know in a tight economy that scares away a lot of players. 

Trolling? Do you see a rod in my hand¿  how about a 30$ game where the devs actually still work on the game after launch, like ARk: survival evolved. its amazing how much work is done, and content is added in that game. + its on steam and they add things in the game thats comes out of the workshop. they don't go monthly subs, because they know in a tight economy that scares away a lot of players. 

Yes, whilst this is true, you also have to remember that these guys are going to be running a cloud server, which at the moment are not the most cheap things you can purchase and run. 

See, ARK has a huge difference there, know what it is? 

They don't run the 1000s of servers they have, it's also not an MMO. The servers are bought, rented or run by the players, which reduces the costs on their end.

These guys are trying to run thousands of players online at the same time on the same server structure, not thousands broken into separate servers of up to 100 people. 

They aren't even comparable to be honest and I don't know why I am trying.

Players that want to play this game will pay what they have to, whether it is P2P or not - they will because they want too. 

I don't care how many times this has come up. This is the worst way to pay for a game. This is going to release as an alpha, unless it is 1$ a month and the game has no flaws, it wont be worth it. Don't scare away players by doing this!!! PLEASE!!!!! LORDY LORDY O LORDY!!!! 

In a game like this a monthly sub is needed to pay for the servers

I am more old-school when it comes to monthly subs. I don't mind paying $15/month for games I enjoy. I have had an active EVE sub since April 2006. I do like in-game PLEX items for players who do not want to pay cash and are willing to work for their membership. I also like subscription prices that provide discounts for paying for multiple months in advance.

There may need to be a compromise for MMORPGs going forward. Maybe part of the game content can be F2P with the vast majority of the game requiring a sub. This could allow for players who are unable to pay for the subscription to socialize and possibly earn in-game money to pay for a PLEX, or maybe it would lead to a few crowded F2P systems that everyone avoids due to begging and trolling. Maybe F2P players should not be able to go higher than level 3 in any skill but have access to the game - if you were formerly a paid account and go F2P, then your skills only function at level 3 until you PLEXed or paid again. Of course, most people would argue these are P2W ideas.

When this game wants a monthly Subscribefee, it`s done for me.

I am willing to pay 60 euro or a bit more for a REAL GOOD (No No Mans sky was not 60 dollar worth) game.

But I *beeb* pay no rent for my games.

I am willing to pay 60 euro or a bit more for a REAL GOOD (No No Mans sky was not 60 dollar worth) game.

You pay a rent for the servers around the world that make the game have a global playerbase. You rent the Devs updating tthe game to have new features and more content. You rent the Cloud for the processing needs. You rent the guys maintaining the servers so they won't burn out of a sudden and you end up losing all your progress.

That's what you pay for, you cheap *beep*.

I suppose the Devs should *beep* off and die right? They are no people, they can live without food while they provide you as a customer all the support you need, right?

So you're saying you would pay 60 euro for a good game, but wouldn't pay (for example) a monthly fee of 5 euro for continued support of the devs and server costs?

Maybe you get a bit bored of the game as you feel you've seen all that Dual Universe has to offer for you, the game then sits there on your digital bookshelf...

But then in say 12 months time if/when the devs release a DLC or Expansion with more elements and new features for another 60 euro, you would be willing to pay for that again for more content?

With the info above just work out how much it would cost you to play the game by buying it outright vs monthly sub (which you can cancel anytime you wish)

So you're saying you would pay 60 euro for a good game, but wouldn't pay (for example) a monthly fee of 5 euro for continued support of the devs and server costs?

Maybe you get a bit bored of the game as you feel you've seen all that Dual Universe has to offer for you, the game then sits there on your digital bookshelf...

But then in say 12 months time if/when the devs release a DLC or Expansion with more elements and new features for another 60 euro, you would be willing to pay for that again for more content?

With the info above just work out how much it would cost you to play the game by buying it outright vs monthly sub (which you can cancel anytime you wish)

Yea exactly.

1.: The Argument the monthly fees are needed for the serverproviding is a lie. See guildwars and Guildwars 2. You buy the game one time and than you pay never ever again. And it is a popular MMO. sure they have this Decorationsshop (As long it is no Pay to Win Ingames hop I`m fine with).

2.: Have you "rentgame" fans ever calculated how mutch you pay for a feegame in total over the time? I doub it.

When I buy a game (a game in the 60 Euro category) I play it regulary 1 - 2 Years, and when it is a game with a dynamic universe (like this will be we hope all) sevewral years longer. Let me say so Blizzard and co are real happy for the over 1000 dollars they get from eatch of their adicties...... .

3.: Contuines developent is too no argument, look at all the (good) indie games out there. Starbound, Subnautica, Empyrion.... do they ask you for a fee or pay for eatch major update? No. So seems that it is not a "survival" needed thing.

I have a princip: I buy my games, I can play them when I want or not, and not only when I payed a damn fee for them. For this we buy them.

And yes yes I know, now you come with the Steam thingi, that you own only a uselicence and not the game... Who cares, 95% of my steamgames run steamindependend if I want, I have them on my harddrive installed, wha means even when steam does now disapear suddenly I can still play the most of them. And many of my games I get direct from the devs webpages or from store so.... This gargument counts for me not too.

Obvious troll is obvious :V

And leave Lordie alone :C

Soft Kitty

Warm Kitty

Little ball of fur!

Also, is it just me, or has this last week seems to have spawned a fair number of "I don't want to pay monthly" crowd? 

As for the OP - Different people prefer different payment methods. Plenty of people would disagree with you for a number of reasons, and prefer the exact opposite to what you would prefer. DU announced what they wanted to do. Get over it.

I don't think he got my post or did the maths...

You can actually pay less by paying monthly with the example I showed you above.

As everyone has already stated, it's pay to play, end of.

Yea exactly.

1.: The Argument the monthly fees are needed for the serverproviding is a lie. See guildwars and Guildwars 2. You buy the game one time and than you pay never ever again. And it is a popular MMO. sure they have this Decorationsshop (As long it is no Pay to Win Ingames hop I`m fine with).

2.: Have you "rentgame" fans ever calculated how mutch you pay for a feegame in total over the time? I doub it.

When I buy a game (a game in the 60 Euro category) I play it regulary 1 - 2 Years, and when it is a game with a dynamic universe (like this will be we hope all) sevewral years longer. Let me say so Blizzard and co are real happy for the over 1000 dollars they get from eatch of their adicties...... .

3.: Contuines developent is too no argument, look at all the (good) indie games out there. Starbound, Subnautica, Empyrion.... do they ask you for a fee or pay for eatch major update? No. So seems that it is not a "survival" needed thing.

I have a princip: I buy my games, I can play them when I want or not, and not only when I payed a damn fee for them. For this we buy them.

And yes yes I know, now you come with the Steam thingi, that you own only a uselicence and not the game... Who cares, 95% of my steamgames run steamindependend if I want, I have them on my harddrive installed, wha means even when steam does now disapear suddenly I can still play the most of them. And many of my games I get direct from the devs webpages or from store so.... This gargument counts for me not too.

You just don't understand how things works and act like a child that don't use his brain.

If you want to compare games, compare what it can be compared. Guildwars / WoW, are certainly NOT sandbox games. You should start to learn the difference between an MMO and a sandbox. EvE Online and Perpetuum can be compared because they are sandbox. Sandbox mean to have an extra power in the IT performances that cost a lot of money monthly. We are NOT talking about some shitty cloud nodes for making instances. We are talking about a BIG World cluster with damn LS network connectivity between the hosted clusters and the clients. Look at EvE IT architecture and you'll understand how it is really expensive : https://community.eveonline.com/news/dev-blogs/tranquility-tech-3/

There is only few real Sandbox and you know why ?

Because it cost too much money and publishers don't like it for obvious reasons.

The ONLY real sandbox on the market atm are:

• EvE Online
  • Perpetuum
  • Albion Online

So before crying you will not pay monthly just be aware about what I just said AND also do the math. DU want to have ONE big universe sandbox, then monthly subscription is THE ONLY WAY to maintain the level of expectation hardware and network power.

Also and not the smallest one. Monthly mean no pay 2 win, no paying DLC, no premium shit with golds etc... All players on the same level, no credits or ship payable by real money. Everything only with game credits. This is the best way to make the best games.

• Free2play is the cancer of gaming since the game industry have seen here a great commercial way to money grab.
  • Buy to play is nice at some point but will never helps to maintain the cost of the server side and will be forced to add some 'internal cosmetic' for real money and/or premium (like Albion) that I personally don't like at all.

Don't be retard, monthly subscription is the best choice ever for gamers and the game itself.