Skill Points? Other questions

Xuludawn

I'm brand new here trying to read as much as possible regarding this game before making a decision, but I want to find out about skills and how they are acquired. Is there a skill cap? Level cap? Are all skills time based? (please say no, but I think this is yes) 

Ships - if you build ships, will you be able to gear them with weapon systems to kill other ships? Defense systems? Speed enhancement?

Characters - Any type of FPS combat in the game with different weapons? Guns? etc?

Is there any type of tutorial for the game upon entering? I really enjoy the idea of the sandbox and the one universe, but I'm curious if you are just "spit out" in a life suit and have to figure out everything on your own. 

Are there any forums geared towards guilds? Corporations? Alliances? I don't know what they are referred to in this game sorry. However, I love the social aspect of gaming and want to run with a group of people that love to have fun. 

Thanks for any assistance!

7 hours ago, Xuludawn said:

Thanks for any assistance!

Skills - what we know so far is that there are skills related to certain activities. You train those over time. 5 hours to train X. 10 hours to train Y. And so forth. You are not locked to a specific class, you can train into different activities when ever you want. The training over time continues even when you are offline. It only needs an active subscription. 

Ships - Yes, there will be construct vs construct combat. We don't have much info beyond that. But the core idea is that for every move there is a counter move. This is of course subject to change. 

Characters - no fps combat. It's a lock and fire system as a trade of for the other features of the game. Guns will be part of the game. 

Tutorials - no comment. 

Organizations - there is the Arkship Pub for that and the community portal. 

I’d say it’s safe to assume there will be a tutorial.  I imagine down the line building will be relatively complex, meaning NQ will want to implement a tutorial so people aren’t completely trashing  Alioth unintentionally ;)

5 hours ago, Falstaf said:

No problem. 

If you have anymore questions, feel free to ask. :)

OK, secondary question incoming. After reading more and watching some videos, I'm embarrassed to say that I absolutely SUCK at building. I couldn't do it in UO to save my life. Are there any "basic" buildings that can just be "planted"? Same with ships? If I had to build my own, I'd end up with a badly made table for a ship and a some sort of box for a home. 

24 minutes ago, Xuludawn said:

OK, secondary question incoming. After reading more and watching some videos, I'm embarrassed to say that I absolutely SUCK at building. I couldn't do it in UO to save my life. Are there any "basic" buildings that can just be "planted"? Same with ships? If I had to build my own, I'd end up with a badly made table for a ship and a some sort of box for a home. 

So we will be able to make blueprints, which can be sold by other players.  You may not have to build at all, however, it could become costly.  Similarly, if you have a friend who is good at building... they might throw some blueprints your way :)

Basically blueprints allow you to build something with just the resources.  Someone might have to confirm that this information is still correct... I'm pretty sure we are going to be able to sell blueprints, but I'm not 100% that's still the plan.